Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumdrops

anyone else think rick ross is just the most amazing rapper to have come out in ages? totally unlike anyone else, fresh subject matter, and he has a great beard to boot...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
weren't you complaining about rappers "like rick ross" a while ago, or was it someone else?
anyway, yes i do.
listening to the m.i. yayo mixtape, with dj khaled, on the way to work this morning i nearly pissed myself laughing at one track where he's talking about booting the door of an apartment in, waving a .44 around, cooking up 'caine etc, and then he does a shout-out to kenneth williams.
obviously not THAT kenneth williams, but it's funny all the same.
indeed, yes, great beard. looks like a young isaac hayes...

i'm also loving, loving, loving 8 Ball & MJG's Ridin' High right now. It's like Missy's Lose Control but with a hook that's several million times better.

Last edited:

gumdrops

i was being sarcastic - just seeing if anyone actually did like him in earnest. although i stand by the beard-love.

i like the hyphy parts of the new dj shadow album, dabryes production, some of the plan b album is good, the new outkast single (although the hook is basically cab calloway via K7), the new pimp c album, cx kidtronik, busta's big bang. im slightly out of touch though as i dont have the net at home right now so havent downloaded anything in ages.

i checked out that termanology single - its solid but pretty boring. the new nas single is great in a retro-nouveau kind of way. surprisingly, the new 7L and esoteric album is really good, never liked them before but theye done away with the typical underground sound and now have MIA/diplo ish beats.

stelfox said:
listening to the m.i. yayo mixtape, with dj khaled, on the way to work this morning i nearly pissed myself laughing at one track where he's talking about booting the door of an apartment in, waving a .44 around, cooking up 'caine etc, and then he does a shout-out to kenneth williams.

not heard that track but that scenario sounds just like biggie's kick in the door...

Last edited:

gumdrops

yeah, cx is amazing.

ive been trying to like the new coup album but have been finding it a little hard. boots is a great writer, not overtly didactic with his politics so hes not so obvious, but i just cant bring myself to really like this new album. separately i like the music, but its so laid back and mellowed out (yeah its funky but its not FUNKY like cameo or any of the time or prince records it blatantly borrows from), its like theres absolutely no urgency. im not saying all political rap has to have music thats belligerent or forceful, but it seems so laissez faire here (from the music to his rapping), i find it hard to stay attentive. it also seems like hes trying to make his politics easier to swallow so has couched it in slightly annoying/puerile/cutesy slogans like the song about 'bush and hussein in b-e-d' etc to make it seem easier to get over. i know you could look at this as being subversive and clever, sweetening the pill and all that, but it doesnt really do the trick IMO. its all so sweet, i cant often find the apparent substance lurking within. i dont really find boots' all that funny either, his jokes just come off as pretty terrible, and i dont ever want to hear about him having sex again (its almost as bad as that new sex song on the mr lif album - no thanks). the chorus of laugh love fuck where he says 'laugh love fuck and drink liquor.. and make the damn revolution come quicker' just sounds nonsensical. i dont want my intelli-rap po faced but the idea of BBQs and having sex = political action seems laughable. maybe im missing something, ive only heard the record a few times, but i cant imagine wanting to keep this album.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
god, i don't want to hear about mr lif doing anything ever, at all, period.
the only people i find more tedious are murs and beans.

Last edited:

C/Dizzle

Never Enough
Some Hip Hop albums I've been feeling from the last month:

STRANGE FRUIT PROJECT - The Healing

CADENCE - Creative Commerce

ASHERU - Insomnia: Sleepless In Japan

HYDROPHONIC SOUND SYSTEM - Mixtape Mentality

WAX TAILOR - Tales Of The Forgotten Melodies

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Interesting...

stelfox said:
god, i don't want to hear about mr lif doing anything ever, at all, period.
the only people i find more tedious are murs and beans.

Lif and Murs are two of my favorite emcees...Beans (of Anti Pop Consortium), however, makes me want to drink rubbing alcohol with six razor blades from a paper cup as a chaser. One.

mms

sometimes
i got the clipse mix tape 'we got the remix' today strangely feat mixes from various people such as dj quik, disco d, dj dainjah, ghislan poirer and loads of guests, the production on alot of the tracks is fucking amazing, really sick but fuck me the mcs are coke bores on wax, blathering on about moving coke.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
malice and pusha t are pretty amazing rappers.
listen to either of the we got it for cheap mixes and, sure, they're all about moving weight, money and chicks, but they also contain some of the most inventive language and the most exquisite timing i've heard in a long time.
i think it's pretty counter-productive to care too much about what rappers are saying, (that'll just depress most sane people) but the way they're saying it is absolutely key.

mms

sometimes
stelfox said:
listen to either of the we got it for cheap mixes and, sure, they're all about moving weight, money and chicks, but they also contain some of the most inventive language and the most exquisite timing i've heard in a long time.
i think it's pretty counter-productive to care too much about what rappers are saying, (that'll just depress most sane people) but the way they're saying it is absolutely key.

that's true and their styles and sentences are good but they are boring men, literally all their tracks are about coke.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yeah, i can't disagree with that.
still, they got black cards, "nail-polish red phantoms and shit", so maybe they're on to something.

hint

party record with a siren
I got the wamp wamp,
When I move it, it's still damp,
Mildew-ish,
When I heat it, it turns glue-ish

adruu

This Is It
yeah, but i dont get the next line about the pyrex being jewish...whats that mean.

wamp wamp is ridiculously hot though. I rewound it so many times over the weekend i'm not going to touch it for a while.

hint

party record with a siren
Mildew-ish,
When I heat it, it turns glue-ish,
It (ooze?) to a tight wad,
The Pyrex is Jewish

It's an offensive slur, playing off the stereotype of the Jewish "tight wad" / miser.

swears

preppy-kei
stelfox said:

Yeah, there's almost this perverse glee, like "Here's yet another tune about crack dealing and it's still really fresh."

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Clipse play with form. From being what I thought were an attempt by the Neptunes to keep street, they've consistently chosen beats that are TOTALLY fresh, and often mind-boggling weird, to keep their work present. I'm kind of in awe of them, it's a triumph of form ( how they say it and what they say it over ) over content.

mms

sometimes
mistersloane said:
Clipse play with form. From being what I thought were an attempt by the Neptunes to keep street, they've consistently chosen beats that are TOTALLY fresh, and often mind-boggling weird, to keep their work present. I'm kind of in awe of them, it's a triumph of form ( how they say it and what they say it over ) over content.

you should get this mix - its so fucking good. I'll officially take it back about the mcs too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.