Hip-Hop - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been waiting for this thread to get to this

point....finally...cos it always happens....

I'll answer more later but for know I'll say that the points being made are so predictable though and hint at so much underlying s***....and poisonous darts...I'm not referring to you....

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Norma Snockers said:
Each new twist on hip hop doesn't equal great, Hyphy is crap in my opinion, it's souless dire drivvle made not for the 'klubs' but for the hopefull dollar.

madness. go check out some of the clubs. you'll soon see that you're talking bollocks.

i hate this constant insistence that black music of any kind must have soul. it's the music-crit equivalent of the watermelon patch.

four (i'm losing count here, btw).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Tactics said:
point....finally...cos it always happens....

I'll answer more later but for know I'll say that the points being made are so predictable though and hint at so much underlying s***....and poisonous darts...I'm not referring to you....

Um, pray tell, what would this underlying shit be?

But you're probably right - it always comes down to traditionalists vs those who don't care about tradition as long as it sounds good.

mms

sometimes
baboon2004 said:
Um, pray tell, what would this underlying shit be?

But you're probably right - it always comes down to traditionalists vs those who don't care about tradition as long as it sounds good.

it''s not really tradition is it, it's a built in reaction that hip hop = something within the listener or fans perameters of what they find acceptable behaviour or practice in the music i mean jesus christ you might enjoy things if you genuinley let music suprise you.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
mms said:
it''s not really tradition is it, it's a built in reaction that hip hop = something within the listener or fans perameters of what they find acceptable behaviour or practice in the music i mean jesus christ you might enjoy things if you genuinley let music suprise you.

Er, that's what I was saying. Parameters defined by tradition/what's gone before: in this case the east Coast/golden age school of hip hop, or whatever you want to call it.

gumdrops

i dont agree with poisonous dart's 'NY-biased and proud!' POV, especially in 2006, when NY doesnt really have a leg to stand on anymore and is rehashing the same old stuff (its like if marley marl never made any of the juice crew records and hip hop was stuck doing the same old thing as run dmc were doing from 84 to 94), but i can sympathise with why he might hate half the stuff thats coming out now. theres no rule that says he HAS to like lil wayne, rick ross, or turf talk or whoever.

Last edited:

luka

new york is in a sorry state. papoose is the best they have to offer and he's a poor mans big l without half the wit or charm. not that hes bad, i've got some of his music, just that he's not that good. conversely if you don't like kool g rap,jeru, organized konfusion, krs 1, wu, DITC, BCC, brand nubian, etc then you're fucked in the head.

Norma Snockers

baboon2004 said:
It may be souless drivvle (sic) to some ears, but that's repeatedly been said down pop history about some of the most vibrant music of the times. And, let's face it, a lot of New York hip-hop could be subject to exactly the same accusations - indeed, when hip-hop's greatest star (Jay-Z, and I am a fan) says that music is just another hussle, then the argument you're putting forward is pretty redundant.

Haha! Pulling me up on my spelling is pathetic, you understood what I meant you pedantic nerd. If you feel the need to live by Jay-Zs teachings, that's up to you.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
luka said:
new york is in a sorry state. papoose is the best they have to offer and he's a poor mans big l without half the wit or charm. not that hes bad, i've got some of his music, just that he's not that good. conversely if you don't like kool g rap,jeru, organized konfusion, krs 1, wu, DITC, BCC, brand nubian, etc then you're fucked in the head.

DITC! Now yer talking!
Sorry about that Dart, I asked a question - and can see where yer coming from - and you kinda got it in the neck. That wasn't the intention!
Just read 'Prophets Of the Hood' by Imani Perry in which she pays attention and breaks down lyrics within the music, it's Ok, it's a thesis rather than a book, but she talks an interesting line with regard traditionalism and ancestor worship with regard hiphop ( constant referencing, etc being the ancestral worship ) and I guess it just depends on who you see your ancestors as...
She also quotes Nelson George in HipHop America saying that 'Some say that this is the first generation of black americans to experience nostalgia', which is, I think, an interesting point of discussion.

mms

sometimes
luka said:

this is very true.
i listened to jeru the other day though and it seemed well strange, his weird stentorian views and bizarre broken flow.

Norma Snockers

mms said:
just out of interest how much have you listened to it ?

alot of music is made to make (rather than loose) money, why wouldn't you want to do that? Most people can't afford to do that.. this is why people take time and effort into making it good quite often, but that's not the main motivation behind most music, trying something new in music doesn't guarantee big bucks anyway. rather reactions like yours more than often.

I've heard bits at clubs and quite a few mixes from the internet, I can't reel a list of 'Artists' I've heard as I didn't have an interest to follow up on anything.

I don't see it as new music or even a new take on hip hop, it seems like alot of nothing. I know I'm generalizing but they are painting themselves with same 'Hyphy' brush.

Norma Snockers

stelfox said:
madness. go check out some of the clubs. you'll soon see that you're talking bollocks.

i hate this constant insistence that black music of any kind must have soul. it's the music-crit equivalent of the watermelon patch.

four (i'm losing count here, btw).

I wasn't saying it had to have soul because it was black music, I'm saying it doesn't have any spirit,

"it's the music-crit equivalent of the watermelon patch."

Are you pretending to be a bit silly?

gumdrops

luka said:

i tried to get into papoose, i admire him cos of tracks like law library, charades, etc but yeah, i just find him really charmless. everythings there technically, his flow is sharp but dense, he has interesting ideas for songs, he raps hard, but i find it quite hard to actually LIKE him, which is a problem i have with a lot of the new great NY hopes.... then again, i have that problem with guys like lil wayne. i actually prefer mannie fresh as a rapper cos hes got a lot more personality. real big>>>>>>>>fireman (or anything on the carter II). that lethargic, barely interested, almost lifeless, jay-z-if-he-was-a-croaking toad delivery he has does nothing for me.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Norma Snockers said:
I wasn't saying it had to have soul because it was black music, I'm saying it doesn't have any spirit,

"it's the music-crit equivalent of the watermelon patch."

Are you pretending to be a bit silly?

it's got loads of spirit and loads of wonky energy , its got those lush shiny plastic synths and strange sounds, lots of concetration on getting messed up silly, hustling etc and anyway you did say it was souless.
anyway you said you'd heard it in clubs and then said it isn't made for clubs.
ive not heard it in clubs and according to your deets you're in Iceland! ;)

gumdrops

hyphy has a lot of energy, id say thats its main plus point, its also got a lot of quirkiness in it from the MCs and some pretty odd touches in the production too. if people arent sold on it, maybe check out tracks like turf talk is back or muscle cars.

Norma Snockers

mms said:
it's got loads of spirit and loads of wonky energy , its got those lush shiny plastic synths and strange sounds, lots of concetration on getting messed up silly, hustling etc and anyway you did say it was souless.
anyway you said you'd heard it in clubs and then said it isn't made for clubs.
ive not heard it in clubs and according to your deets you're in Iceland! ;)

I'm in Iceland yes but I'm not in prison here, I do travel. I still say it's souless and because of some fool I've added 'no spirit' to clarify. How big is your Hyphy record collection?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Norma Snockers said:
Haha! Pulling me up on my spelling is pathetic, you understood what I meant you pedantic nerd. If you feel the need to live by Jay-Zs teachings, that's up to you.

Whereas calling someone a 'pedantic nerd' (must remember that one - you've certainly got an ear for a quick-witted insult, son) is.......wit?

I'm only pulling you up on your spelling because you appear to be a bit simple - it amused me for about half a second, whereas it seems to have annoyed you for considerably longer. Job done. :p

Norma Snockers

baboon2004 said:
Whereas calling someone a 'pedantic nerd' (must remember that one - you've certainly got an ear for a quick-witted insult, son) is.......wit?

I'm only pulling you up on your spelling because you appear to be a bit simple - it amused me for about half a second, whereas it seems to have annoyed you for considerably longer. Job done. :p

You pulled me up on my spelling because you are a pedantic nerd FACT :D

mms

sometimes
Norma Snockers said:
I'm in Iceland yes but I'm not in prison here, I do travel. I still say it's souless and because of some fool I've added 'no spirit' to clarify. How big is your Hyphy record collection?

how big is my record collection! how pedantic and nerdish ;)

most hyphy's on cd so i've got a few cds a few bits of vinyl and a few mixes, i've got lots of bits and pieces of bay area hiphop dating from about 87' though, which hyphy is the latest incarnation of. Ive had to get all this stuff from the US as it's pretty impossible to get in the uk still.
funny you say it's got no spirit as for me it's the most spirited hiphop form i've heard in ages, since crunk first came to my attention for sure, and sonically it's very fresh, lyrics are wicked,the slang is great and it's got this dayglo buzz around it. i like it alot amongst other things.
i reckon it's a fair enough thing that stelfox questioned the no soul thing really even though youve defended yourself on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.