rhythm and sound, burial mix, wackies cheap(ish)

zhao

there are no accidents
anyone else heard the new R & S remixes 12"? could be better IMO... a lot better...

also I've mentioned this before... but anyone heard anything about the dub sub-label Sahko keeps threatening to start?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
INFINITE THANKS FOR THE MIX DON. YOUR ARE A TOTAL, AND UTTER LEGEND!! :p

If I could recommend just two of the CDs, easy : MAURIZIO and the RHYTHM & SOUND comp.

I'M so jealous of you cunts, RHYTHM & SOUND still havent hit these shores, and prolly will when it's too little too late...

Last edited:

Buick6

too punk to drunk
'WE NEED PISS IN THA MIDDLE ISS"!!! LOL! :p

I think this might be legally freebie, as Tikiman goes on about some free promo thing at the end of the set, which was done in Dublin, so I imagine Droid was there?

Don Rosco

Buick6 said:
I think this might be legally freebie, as Tikiman goes on about some free promo thing at the end of the set, which was done in Dublin, so I imagine Droid was there?

Er, it's not, as far as i'm aware. I recorded it for the organisers, just so we could listen to it, really. I dunno what Tikiman's on about. That's why I want it kept discreet if possible. Not even in the shared folders please folks.

It's fucking good though, eh? Bit of an odd one though. It's like Basic Channel outsourced their live set to Scion. I saw the original Basic Channel guys do their 45 session thing with Tikiman too, and it wasn't a patch on the Scion show. I mean, it's always good to hear a load of great reggae, but you almost never hear the BC stuff out, so it seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity. Still, it's not like they haven't earned the right to do whatever the fuck they want!

edit: and, yeah, i'm sure the droid was there. Played live with The Fear on the same stage that week I think.

adverb

doyler's gonna cut your bollocks off rosco ;)

in other news, basic channel are playing live at the montreux jazz festival in july as part of narod niki, the minimal techno laptop supergroup. it's the first time they've played live in any form in 15 years. hopefully they'll do some other shows, but i'm not so sure that they will so i'm going to montreux!

can't wait :D

Don Rosco

adverb said:
doyler's gonna cut your bollocks off rosco ;)

:eek: agh. I'm sure he'd understand. Let's face it, if anyone hears it and hasn't already bought some R&S stuff, they will after hearing it.

edit: and Montreux! I must say, i'm pretty fucking jealous. I'd love to see that.

Last edited:

adverb

Don Rosco said:
:eek: agh. I'm sure he'd understand. Let's face it, if anyone hears it and hasn't already bought some R&S stuff, they will after hearing it.

yeah, i'm with you there. did you get a copy of the "real" r&s set from last year? if not, let me know.

Don Rosco

OldRottenhat said:
Does anyone know if the reissue of the Basic Channel and Maurizio cds means that they will also be reissuing the Chain Reaction cds at some point? Would love to pick up the Porter Ricks and Monolake discs in particular.

Just for you, Old Rotten Hat, I bring the news(possibly not news), via disquiet, that you can get a live set from Monolake at his website: http://monolake.de/. It's an oldie but a goodie.

Speaking of Monolake I bought the album 'Momentum' on someones recommendation, and it really didn't do anything for me. I chucked it on my mp3 doofer anyway, and as the tracks came up on a random play, I often found myself utterly bewitched by these strange, cold techno tunes. With some surprise I checked the screen to find they were from that album which I didn't really rate. Great stuff altogether.

bassnation

the abyss
Don Rosco said:
Speaking of Monolake I bought the album 'Momentum' on someones recommendation, and it really didn't do anything for me. I chucked it on my mp3 doofer anyway, and as the tracks came up on a random play, I often found myself utterly bewitched by these strange, cold techno tunes. With some surprise I checked the screen to find they were from that album which I didn't really rate. Great stuff altogether.

momentum definitely has its moments but its not the best album - hong kong is the one that resonates deeply with me. its utterly atmospheric, just takes you away to somewhere else entirely. beautiful music. that lush rain filled song, just makes my heart ache. and then theres the dark & hypnotic space techno of index, probably one of my favourite tunes of any genre.

hes not everybodies cup of tea but i love it.

for a long time i didn't realise he was german and thought he was from detroit (yes, i know his name should have given it away)

Last edited:

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Cheers for that mix rosco thats a winner :)

I saw scion play at the rocket on holloway road a few years ago - it was like a basic channel greatest hits. Great show though.

Never really felt monolake, the bits I heard were too industrial for my taste. Probably need to hear more of it though.

Me & a friend were talking about the sound a few years ago (we both produce) and came up with the idea that the whole thing is based on one piece of gear that makes that sound, which mauritzio has & no one else knows what it is. It started as a joke, but it could easily be true - their records all sound so alike, and so unlike anyone else.

Never been able to get that sound myself despite a lot of trying. I've got close with a vocoder & an old eventide harmoniser/delay but the top end isn't as delicate - it's a rougher, more punk-dub sound.

As for records, M7 is the one IMO. King In My Empire on Burial Mix is lovely too.

bassnation

the abyss
Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
Never really felt monolake, the bits I heard were too industrial for my taste. Probably need to hear more of it though.

well, some of the output is definitely patchy - but theres also moments of genius imo which more than make up for the misses. alien and industrial can be soulful sometimes, if its done right - like the first fsol album for instance.

adverb

Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
Me & a friend were talking about the sound a few years ago (we both produce) and came up with the idea that the whole thing is based on one piece of gear that makes that sound, which mauritzio has & no one else knows what it is. It started as a joke, but it could easily be true - their records all sound so alike, and so unlike anyone else.

they have ALOT of vintage gear, some of it sourced from kingston and such places - i don't know the details, wish i did. there's a story about the first time mark and moritz visited detroit, they were being shown around by mad mike who brought them to an old music equipment store which had an incredible selection of vintage synths and whatnot, they bought pretty much everything and had it packed up and shipped back to berlin. the owner was able to close up and retire!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
One of the theories thrown around here a whle ago is that they master to C90 tapes and even shitter. Hence the dense vistas of fractalised hiss.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
bassnation said:
well, some of the output is definitely patchy - but theres also moments of genius imo which more than make up for the misses.

I'm sure, and i'd be open to more of thier stuff definitely.

bassnation said:
alien and industrial can be soulful sometimes, if its done right

Well, that's the techno manifesto right there!