PROG ROCK- breaking news, gossip, libel, lies etc

nonightsweats

henry cow's "concerts" has been remastered and will be re-released this year. bob drake, who has done a lot of the ReR remastering in recent times, says that he's managed to make it sound like it always should have. ie good. can't wait for that one.

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
Someone, recommend me some Goblin. I've been digging the Suspiria soundtrack lately, but when it goes into the funk tracks I just get confused and start the first half over again. :eek:

bruno

est malade
another dead label

i asked meidad of the israeli label MIO if there were plans to reissue the ultra-nice pôle kotrill and krig-volubilis lps. they had already done the virgo and besombes-rizet lp (which is pretty great, btw). i received this sad reply:

Hello Bruno,

Thanks for your email.
I had plans to do all these but unfortunatly MIO is closed.

Sorry!

Meidad

Secret Machines are the future...

WOEBOT said:
thanks hint. i better comb through that old thread in more detail. it dates from my "create discussion"-era of threads here...no need for that now.... :eek:

check our blog to see an 'extensive' live review of them at Shepherds Bush by nii-o. He turned me on to them in fact. The 2nd LP is different to the first (more poppie) but is very much a grower - best band around at the mo imo.

If you can write in an article that Sa-Ra are "...black prog lite..." (which I agree with in a way) then Secret Machines are most definately prog....but also perhaps of a lighter kind.

JimO'Brien

I see that the original line up of Asia id reforming to tour America. I am sure all the prog fans in Europe hope for a visit to.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Arthur Russell "instrumentals" vol.1 is pretty much prog rock for my ears, hints of soft machine, more pastoral canterbury, egg, even mike oldfield... well it was composed in '74 and Russel wanted to incorporate "modern rock sounds"(rhythm section cortesy of the original Modern Lovers...)! should I say it sound wonderful. Haven't yet listen to second cd of "first thought best thought" because my copy was defective and waiting a replacement.

Woebot

i dont know who the feck this band MUSE are (nme staples i'm guessing) but their lp graphics are pure late eighties pink floyd (storm thorgeson at his most naff) weird from a bunch of kids....

so kinda prog gossip i suppose.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
WOEBOT said:
i dont know who the feck this band MUSE are (nme staples i'm guessing) but their lp graphics are pure late eighties pink floyd (storm thorgeson at his most naff) weird from a bunch of kids....
Strange that this type of cover have become so associated with prog nowadays, prog covers of the seventies were so odd, and so much better. It's also a Rush kinda thing, isn't it? And used on a lot of neo prog like Spocks Beard I think, and prog metal crossover stuff.

Now Tarkus, THAT was a cover.

Raw Patrick

the Musie cover is very much in the vein of the MArs Volta's artwork. They really did get Storm Thorgeson to do theirs.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The first Mars Volta album has the worst cover ever (I think I'll stand by that- its not even funny, just utterly dismally diabolically tasteless)-- a gold head of a man on a plate with light coming out of his mouth! Both that and the Muse cover (which is silly but not at all terrible) are Storm Thorgeson aren't they?

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
are the times finally changeing?

Amazing detail in Simon Reynolds Slate piece on Hot Chip and Scritti Politti:
"This cruel dilemma—fidelity versus mutation—has convulsed British music repeatedly over the decades: from the schisms of trad jazz vs. free jazz, to blues purism vs. progressives, to more recent debates about hip-hop, where the argument is about whether British rappers should ape American MCs or instead inject stilted Anglo cadences into their flow and parochial references into their lyrics."

Why is this so significant? Well, remember that in Energy Flash, Reynolds used analogies where blues purism and progressive rock were on the same side, against the music supposed to really push things forward in the early seventies (heavy metal, basically). Just like the punk myth would have it, prog is seen as something holding rock back, rather than pushing it forward. Now, however, blues purism is set against "the progressives", including, we must presume, prog. Not only is prog finally recognised as valid mutation rather than retrogressive decadence, but the dirty word "progressive" is even used as something positive. When a former prog-phobe brought up on the old punk mythology can come to this, well, somehow it just makes me think that maybe, someday, prog will actually get the place in music history it deserves, and the legacy of the punk brainwash will be behind us.

D84

Australian prog-ish band Tooth have released a new album called Mudlarking which is well worth checking out - audio samples are available if you follow the link - with 3 guest contributions from Daevid Allen of Gong, who features it on his web-site here .

What do you guys think about `90s prog like Bill Laswell and co? I liked it even with all the jazz lite sax, dubious credits etc (eg. Material's Hallucination Engine).

Woebot

hamarplazt said:
the legacy of the punk brainwash will be behind us.

i'm totally with you there. i mean you can't imagine a jamaican prog band can't you? but not a jamaican punk band (bad brains totally fail to qualify as punk band IMHO, actually their schizophrenic approach to speed is something like VDGG....)

nonightsweats

pip

pip pyle - drummer from the very, very wonderful "hatfield and the north" and the teapot gong (+ many, many others) has died soon after a hatfield reuinion gig. his solo stuff was pretty dire but his drumming was always discreetly musicianly. sorely missed.

mms

sometimes
archimedes badkar

does anyone know about this lot?
Swedish prog group, mp3's i've heard sound great..
kinda philip glass meets raga music meets tight prog guitar stuff.
pals of don cherry
etc
any more info / reissues etc?
anyone know?

N

nomadologist

This is slightly off-topic, but I have to ask. Weigh in on an old argument I had once:

Is Kelley Polar "prog-disco"?

Within a few seconds of hearing that acapella track on the first song of the first album, that's the term that exploded into mind.

tate

Brown Sugar
Is Kelley Polar "prog-disco"?
You may want to check the ILM archives if you haven't already, b/c there is a long discussion of the latest KP album there. It's quite an interesting thread, notwithstanding Vahid's assertions that Polar's latest is IDM (provocative, but unconvncing imho). Whatever style it is, KP makes some pretty fantastic music.

N

nomadologist

You may want to check the ILM archives if you haven't already, b/c there is a long discussion of the latest KP album there. It's quite an interesting thread, notwithstanding Vahid's assertions that Polar's latest is IDM (provocative, but unconvncing imho). Whatever style it is, KP makes some pretty fantastic music.

I tend to avoid message boards (heh) but this discussion you mention is probably worth checking out.

There must be something wrong with me, because Hanging Gardens really struck me as so prog as to be silly and I joked about how it sounded like a Berklee School of Music senior's thesis. This ambitious senior wanted to abstract Prince in a highly technical and formal way, then make music that sounded like you ran the byproduct of that effort through a jazz lite emulator. Again, I don't know why my reaction is so strong in the negative, but I can't seem to overcome it. In the end it always makes me want to listen to Arthur Russell instead.