Cycling

luka

the point being evans is not a mountain man. he is an all rounder so if the others couldnt drop him in the mountains thy had no way to win. what i was wrong about is everyone being unhappy about it. h seems to have won a lot of admirers. rightly so i guess....

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
If you'd told me before the tour that Cadel would win and that I'd think he deserved it... well! But he did. Of all the GC contenders, he seemed the most positive, in every sense. Sure, he didn't really attack in the mountains but I'm beginning to understand that his personal pedalling style and the gear he favours simply don't allow for that. And that doesn't mean he didn't take control of the race when he had to.

Also, as far as I know, he didn't threaten to cut anyone's head off this year.

Yeah I kind of agree with this (and what luka was saying) - he wasn't ever one of the people I was cheering for while the race was still going, but now he's one I don't really have any complaints. He rode to his strengths and wasn't afraid to take the initiative when he had to.
V v glad that Cav got the overall green jersey btw.

jenks

thread death
Wiggo performing really well at the Vuelta - still top of GC. He could well be our first ever Grand Tour winner - then again he could fall off again!

Reckon the Worlds could be a stormer this year - Cav fancies it but who can bet against Gilbert?

Simon78

Anyone got any good routes to recommend?

I did south London to Stanstead Abbotts and back the other week and that was good fun. I think 70 miles is my limit at the moment so around that distance would be good.

Just having a look on Google maps and South London to Ascot, up to Windsor and then back to London looks like a good loop and is about 70 miles so I think I will try that next.

jenks

thread death
Anyone got any good routes to recommend?

I did south London to Stanstead Abbotts and back the other week and that was good fun. I think 70 miles is my limit at the moment so around that distance would be good.

Just having a look on Google maps and South London to Ascot, up to Windsor and then back to London looks like a good loop and is about 70 miles so I think I will try that next.

i have recommended this site before: http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/London-Routes-89.html
alternatively, living in South London does allow you to get the bike on a train for half an hour or so then there's loads of lovely rides out there. if you can do 70 then there's plenty for you to choose.

I recently rode round Dungeness - a pretty flat fifty but have just signed up for a sportive that takes in Box Hill and 3 other quite serious climbs in a 100 mile route.

Simon78

i have recommended this site before: http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/London-Routes-89.html
alternatively, living in South London does allow you to get the bike on a train for half an hour or so then there's loads of lovely rides out there. if you can do 70 then there's plenty for you to choose.

I recently rode round Dungeness - a pretty flat fifty but have just signed up for a sportive that takes in Box Hill and 3 other quite serious climbs in a 100 mile route.

Thanks for that Jenks, I'm going to plan out a few routes from that map. I think I am going to join my local club as well and go out on a few of the Saturday club rides to see what they're like.

I'm hoping to get up to 100 mile rides next year but doing 70 proper kills me at the moment. I'm determined to get to 100 though and then hopefully do the next Dunwich Dynamo as that looks like fun. I will probably start tripping out at some point and end up in a hedge but I want to have a go.

luka

g'day, luke here. i bought a new bike then i pretty much crashed it right away. i was verry intoxicated but i was hungry and i wanted a potato pizza from here
http://www.rossopomodoro.com.au/
which is just the other side of blackwattle bay so i set off with a beer in hand but i chose the wrong hand cos when i braked to slow down going down a steep hill the front breakage sent me somersaulting through the air. i fractured my right clavicle and something or other in my left wrist. i as drunk so it didnt hurt much and i just smoked a spliff in the park to calm down then came home and went to bed.
im mostly alright now except ive got a frozen shoulder from where it was in the sling for so long. i dont really like it.

craner

Beast of Burden
And this all happened because you spent too much time sitting in front of your computer, drinking beer and writing about elves.

luka

this was 2 months ago its why i spent so long in front of the computer drinking beer and writing about elves

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Conty gets a two year ban backdated - stripped of TdF and Giro win

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/16905217

No TdF this year or Olympics - Schlek finally wins the tour in retrospect -

In other news Lance case closed in US http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16883468

Vino declares he wants one more year with Astana.

Valverde wins TDU stage.

Boonen wins yesterday (ok he's coke not EPO)

And this is a clean peleton...

Pro cycling is a mess, innit?!
UCI are a joke.
Pros (apart from GB ones) are in denial and are making excuses.
Lance is too big to touch.

Read somewhere, that since 1995 there have been only 2 'untainted' winners of TdF!!!

Reporter: Did you take la bomba?
Coppi: Yes. Whenever it was necessary.
Reporter: And when was it necessary?
Coppi: Almost all the time.

In better news, I have just got a second hand summer bike- an old De Rosa Team (best logo in all of cycling!).

Roll on positive temperatures...

jenks

thread death
Pro cycling is a mess, innit?!
UCI are a joke.
Pros (apart from GB ones) are in denial and are making excuses.
Lance is too big to touch.

Read somewhere, that since 1995 there have been only 2 'untainted' winners of TdF!!!

Reporter: Did you take la bomba?
Coppi: Yes. Whenever it was necessary.
Reporter: And when was it necessary?
Coppi: Almost all the time.

In better news, I have just got a second hand summer bike- an old De Rosa Team (best logo in all of cycling!).

Roll on positive temperatures...

Yeah - De Rosa now they are some lovely machines. I have my eye on a Parlee if i can convince myself i need a new summer bike.

I actually drove to work today after maybe the hairiest ride home last night as i battled restricted space on the road, black ice and arsehole drivers.

Interesting stuff in the papers - Times particularly trying to get a cyclesafe campaign going - the most telling stat being that precisely 0 cyclists were killed on the roads of Paris last year and I'm guessing the French aren't going a bundle on wearing helmets.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Yeah - De Rosa now they are some lovely machines. I have my eye on a Parlee if i can convince myself i need a new summer bike..

Wow, the Parlee's look lush.

My De Rosa is far from cutting edge, but it makes a nice change from all the Spec/Scott/Trek/Ribble you see about.

Interesting stuff in the papers - Times particularly trying to get a cyclesafe campaign going - the most telling stat being that precisely 0 cyclists were killed on the roads of Paris last year and I'm guessing the French aren't going a bundle on wearing helmets.

Whilst at the same time, Clarkson et al are openly waging war on cyclists. Shane Warne has been doing likewise in Australia.

There is a critical mass of (lycra cladded, road) cyclists round here, which means that drivers are (on the whole) much more understanding and tolerant than elsewhere.

Still get a number of near misses every year, though

luka

dont you feel nervous? ive been putting off getting back on mine. my confidence always takes a long time to recover after a crash.