Cycling

connect_icut

Looks like it's going to be a bit boring until Sunday. But then it's going to be bananas!

Apparently Cadel has a hairline fracture in his forearm. But he's still out there chasing that coveted third podium place.

I'm beginning to feel that the pleasure I take in the Tour is overly sadistic.

jenks

thread death
The one of the cornerstones in the Lance legend - Beloki was left howling like an animal while Armstrong took evasive action across the field - he didn't even pick up a puncture!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

and the other great moment is the look he gives Ullrich on Alpe d'Huez @1.40
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

luka

he wasnt so tough when robbie mckewen threatened to punch his face in though was he?

connect_icut

That seems a bit rough. Looked like six of one and half a dozen of the other to me. I believe you're allowed to make some contact if you feel that someone is riding into you and you want to get rid of them, as long as you keep your hands on your handle bars. Having said that, head-butting at 80kph doesn't seem like it's really in the spirit of the rules, does it. Also, blocking Farrar might have had something to do with it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jul/15/mark-cavendish-tour-de-france-2010

jenks

thread death
Compelling stuff - Andy must be feeling magnificent having seen off Alberto's attacks today - Mon/Tues/Wds/Thurs are going to be immense - Can see no work getting doen at all in the afternoons at this rate.

don_quixote

Trent End
aren't you on holiday jenks? any ideas about viewing spots in paris next sunday? i realise it's not going to be like standing on top of a mountain but even so.

jenks

thread death
No hols til Thurs afternoon. On my fucking knees...

When I saw the Tour hit Paris 3 yrs ago, we found the best vantage point was the Place de la Concord but I reckon the streets leading to it would be really good as well. Don't think anyone gets on Les Champs without a pass.

I rode down the finish strait on the Saturday evening before and even though it was not race day it had all of the Tour furniture set out - it felt fantastic charging along pretending to be Abdoujaparov!

jenks

thread death
oh really? you need a pass to be a spectator anywhere on the circuit?

The curcuit is big - plenty of great vantage points throughout the city but the homestrait on Les Champs Elysees may well be impossible to get on - i seem to remember that you needed passes to get on that part of the course - the rest is open. As the French never tire of saying - the greatest free sporting spectacle in the world. It's great if you can get to a stage before Paris just to truly appreciate the gaudy quality of the caravan coming through godforsaken towns where the locals scrap for Haribos and salami thrown by bored teenage girls in corporate mini skirts.

don_quixote

Trent End
i've done that before! it was on a flat stage. we got a small breakaway closely followed by the peloton and it was all over in about 30 seconds after 3 hours of waiting around. although that was all part of the fun. the rush of air as the peloton passes you is quite incredible.