CRICKET!! breaking news, gossip, lies, whatever etc..

don_quixote

Trent End
somehow this test series could be better than the last one in south africa, which for my money is the most underrated test series of the last decade

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
That was pretty immense.

I nominate ball-by-ball cricket coverage from cricinfo et al for the best thing ever to happen to office workers...

jenks

thread death
I enjoy the bbc version, just cos it is full of the useless bar talk you get when watching live sport down the pub

hucks

Your Message Here
20 20 final on Sunday. Is there such a thing as a good pub to watch cricket in? Looking for one in London.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
i think the Old King's Head, Borough should be OK. (i've seen golf and footy in there and it's convivial without being a world-beater, but has a peculiarly just right feel, despite other pubs nearby being technically far more spectacular in some cases.)

London Bridge or Borough are pretty good in general, i suppose (though there's certainly the odd ropey pub in the area), i seem to recall the King's Arms, Borough for cricket too.

i am trying desperately to remember which famous pub round there i had an awesome time in once watching a Test years ago, i can only presume it was that Harveys pub the Royal Oak
(but i still have a nagging feeling that maybe that wasn't it).

the Tup on Marylebone High Street used to be good for cricket IIRC but i am not sure if it would be useful to ya since a refurb/name change.

the George opposite the Royal Courts of Justice, so just before the Strand turns into Fleet Street is one of my absolute fave central London cricket pubs though given the location i dunno if it would be open on Sunday. again nothing special, just always feels right. (not very big i must say.)

will post again if a mate who is deffo a pub cricket watching authority gets back to me.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
The Market Porter (here) another Borough boozer that i have just remembered. think i may have meant here when i said the Royal Oak, thus it was here a top day of cricketing viewing was had.

dunno where you live Hucks but what do you normally do if you fancy a day of big televised sport centrally? i suppose getting the tube to TCR, Charing X, or Baker Street, places like that, and just mooching may well bring joy, tbf.

oh i've had a good craic in the Windmill, Southwark tube watching rugby before now. (i realise i am just basically mentioning loads of pubs in SE1!)

hucks

Your Message Here
Scott, that is awesome. You are a don.

I live in Bow. There are OK pubs, but nothing 'mazing, and I can get to central easy enough.

But that is plenty to be getting on with. In every possible sense - Cheers!

Last edited:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
ah cheers Hucks!

i am now uncertain if i meant the Market Porter. tsk! i am only banging on about it because whichever pub it was (it WAS one around the market in Borough but i simply forget) was definitely the best time i've ever had in a pub watching the cricket (and i've had some good uns).

the Old King's Head is a definite though, i reckon.

there's always all sports bar type places isn't there, but i know ideally a nice little pub is preferable for some (including me).

jenks

thread death
That was so one sided - can't quite believe England could play like that! 3 overs to spare is like an innings victory! Well done Colly

hucks

Your Message Here
That was so one sided - can't quite believe England could play like that! 3 overs to spare is like an innings victory! Well done Colly

Yeah, me and my mate were trying to figure out how big a win with 3 overs to spare was in test terms. I still don't fully understand the tactics behind T20, but that was a very satisfying win.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
anyone see England's Irishman thrash the Aussies yesterday? Gather is was rather special.

i watched the highlights last night and he looked ridiculously good. he does play some mental shots, such as the reverse hook thing he hits over the slips! but apparently he didn't give away a single chance either...not 1 play and miss or LBW appeal!

don_quixote

Trent End
watched our english irishman make his first test century today. was looking very ropey just after lunch but luckily i knew - i've never seen collingwood play a bad match live.

Phaedo

England actually look GOOD. :slanted:

Like not just "got potential" "have talent" ect. But their winning matches and playing well... Its weird.