is eurodisco the final frontier?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Isn't all that World-Euro-cup soccer bullshit Euro-disc? You know those big trunce-anthems that Greek-closet-homosexual soccer fans mosh and kiss each other to when they kick a goal?

O

Omaar

Tomtefar said:
I use Hi-NRG (like in the Evelyn Thomas song) and Italo-disco interchangeably, does anybody know the difference between the two?

Nah, but I wouldn't have called High Energy (the Song) Italo Disco, it seems closer to disco's roots- ( while still sounding super fresh), and diva vocals don't seem to figure predominantly in italo. I tend to thinkof High NRG as having closer links to the gay scene though. Like Menergy. High NRG seems to build up and chug along more perhaps.

(high Energy)

This freaked me out when I saw it:

(koto)

@borderpolice:
What I said about italo being rinsed, I didn't mean it's being played in clubs all over london, in fact I don't go to clubs much unless I am DJing... I just meant there are lots of comps out such as Unclassics, I Robots etc etc, all the old italo tunes now command huge ebay prices, many of them have been bootlegged/reissued on things like the automan series, everybody knows about CBS.... so I mean it's rinsed in that if you've been paying attention then I don't think there's a lot more tunes left to be re-discovered from the old italo days.

Having said that, wow, that Morgan Geist comp is good, great to discover some more good old tracks! So perhaps there will be still more to learn about. I hope so. On the other hand, is that music italo? I dunno. I have the Zodiac record that's on that comp and they were from Latvia.

Semantics - I thought Italo refers to late 70s early 80s disco from Italy! So not hi-energy which is generally later and a lot faster, not 8th wonder who were british and produced by pet shop boys, but I guess these terms all mean whatever you want them to mean. To me italo disco is quite seperate from mid/late 80s euro cheese though!

@bruno
On the original subject - yeah I think the mid-80s cheesy disco won't get rehabilitated, I expect you can go and hear it being played somewhere in "shoreditch"... but good for you if you enjoy it... I just don't think it has the necessary credentials for any kind of hip revival.

Well done to everyone for ignoring Buick6's comments, I mean is that supposed to be funny or what? I don't go on the pink floyd thread and slag off that music just because I'm not into it so... WHY?

Tomtefar

Edward said:
@borderpolice:
What I said about italo being rinsed, I didn't mean it's being played in clubs all over london, in fact I don't go to clubs much unless I am DJing... I just meant there are lots of comps out such as Unclassics, I Robots etc etc, all the old italo tunes now command huge ebay prices, many of them have been bootlegged/reissued on things like the automan series, everybody knows about CBS.... so I mean it's rinsed in that if you've been paying attention then I don't think there's a lot more tunes left to be re-discovered from the old italo days.
This is an interesting topic I think: Are there more genres for which this is true (by which I mean there are no "lost gems" left that hasn't already gotten their due acclaim)? Is it even possible?

I dunno, I still hear one or two chicago or detroit tunes every year that I didn't know, but I don't really claim to be an authority, just a fan. But the rare/little-known ones are seldom in the same league as the well known classics at least in detroit techno.

The last thing that got retro-ed that i was totally unaware of was all the german synthpop/ndw when gigolo did that compilation a few years ago.

the first thing i was aware of getting comprehensively re-issued was roots reggae when blood & fire started. it was amazing to be able to get all the tracks but took the suspense/fun out of searching for records.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"This is an interesting topic I think: Are there more genres for which this is true (by which I mean there are no "lost gems" left that hasn't already gotten their due acclaim)? Is it even possible?"
I'm sure that there are lost gems in most genres - people are still finding sixties garage tunes that no-one is aware of and people have been digging that scene since the early eighties. Obviously the longer a scene is investigated like that the harder it gets to find new killers, the finds get fewer and further between and people start playing silly money for things.
As for scenes that have never been properly re-issueed and are waiting for their turn, if there are any then by their very nature they are unknown to me I guess but that doesn't mean that there aren't any. I love it when that happens, it can be really exciting to find out about a whole scene you didn't even know existed.