What scares you ???

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Spending the next 37 years in my shitty office job."
Me too - although not quite scared enough to do anything about it unfortunately. Though what can I do? I definitely hope that I get made redundant in the near future.

swears

preppy-kei
Nuclear war. There's some ex-us army general who reckons there's a 1% chance of nuclear war annually. That's a 0.003% chance daily. There's probably more chance on any given day of just dropping dead of some freak congenital heart defect, but it still shits me up.

Cinnamon Carter

Wild Horses
Also, La Cabina, now that is a very scary and surreal film about a phone box. If you haven't seen that it's well worth spending half an hour to check it out on youtube

Just did, thanks! The mesmerising aesthetic appeal of that telephone box may surpass even the red pipes in Tati's Mon Oncle.

Also on a telephone-horror tip, the short story 'Your Tiny Hand Is Frozen' from Robert Aickman's The Wine-Dark Sea is a disturbing narrative indeed.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Just did, thanks! The mesmerising aesthetic appeal of that telephone box may surpass even the red pipes in Tati's Mon Oncle."
Nice one, hope you enjoyed it.

"Also on a telephone-horror tip, the short story 'Your Tiny Hand Is Frozen' from Robert Aickman's The Wine-Dark Sea is a disturbing narrative indeed."
Now that's an evocative title. Guess I'll have to check it out.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
eh I mean there's things you worry about & there's things you fear. I think mine are almost all the former.

there are only 2 things I truly fear - physical &/or mental incapacitation. & The Fear itself - creeps up on you. I suppose if I had kids I'd probably fear something happening to them, rationally or not, as that's what parents do.

everything else is worries.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A totally irrational one for ya, from Mister Rational himself...

I can't sleep with my feet sticking out from under the duvet any more. Not even on a really hot, sultry summer's night when it would actually be really nice.

Because.

Years ago it occurred to me how utterly fucking terrifying it would be to have one's bare feet lying there exposed and to feel the touch of a human hand on them, while there is of course no-one else in the room. Or maybe your partner, but she/he is fast asleep next to you.

I know it's ridiculous, but now I just can't shake the idea from my head.

Edit: more prosaically, I can't stand the idea of having kids and them Something Happening To Them. But as padraig says, that's more of a worry than a fear - perhaps an exaggerated worry about something that could, and does, actually happen.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Years ago it occurred to me how utterly fucking terrifying it would be to have one's bare feet lying there exposed and to feel the touch of a human hand on them, while there is of course no-one else in the room. Or maybe your partner, but she/he is fast asleep next to you.

hahahaha that is so weird

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Wear socks

That kinda defeats the point of trying to keep your feet cool in the summer, though.

Einstein.

And it would hardly be any less scary to feel someone touch your feet be-socked than bare. They need the protection of the duvet.

Last edited:

massrock

Some cats like to attack bare feet sticking out so it's not always such an irrational concern. Not any cats I've had tutelage over I might add, but I have encountered such ill disciplined creatures.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
A totally irrational one for ya, from Mister Rational himself...

I can't sleep with my feet sticking out from under the duvet any more. Not even on a really hot, sultry summer's night when it would actually be really nice.

Because.

I used to have this one when I was a kid and afraid of the dark, the two phobias were part of the same general anxiety, that in the dark if I fell asleep someone was inevitably going to come into my room and brutally murder me. I think it was based on TV shows like Rescue 911 and Unsolved Mysteries, which were full of child abduction stories. No matter how hot it was, I never slept without a blanket covering me, sometimes over my head--as if a thin sheet of fabric was going to stop a child-predator psychopath who was on the prowl. But it made sense in my little mind. I didn't sleep much needless to say.

These days I couldn't care less, I have no phobias anymore, I'm not an anxious person. I'm not afraid of water or animals or heights or anything like that. I always find anxious people fascinating. People who scream when they see an insect! haha

mms

sometimes
time and energy, and not having as much as i want, also i fear that i don't sleep as much as i would like to, i'm often very tired, for reasons beyond my control.
Being fat old and ugly, loosing hearing or sight.
that i am collecting records for no reason and will not get the chance to dj again much, which is something i like to do.
The kids who hang around where i live having nothing to do and getting into trouble because of it.
generally i'm quite apocalyptic but i quite enjoy that to be honest, it spurns me on.

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Years ago it occurred to me how utterly fucking terrifying it would be to have one's bare feet lying there exposed and to feel the touch of a human hand on them, while there is of course no-one else in the room.

QUOTE]

An old housemate of mine once hid under my bed and did exactly this as a practical joke. I hit the fucking roof. I did not see the funny side.

zhao

there are no accidents
deep water and swimming in it, and a giant sea monster comes up from underneath.

waking up in the middle of the night and the demon from ringu is sitting in the corner of the room. just sitting there.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
deep water and swimming in it, and a giant sea monster comes up from underneath.

Yes! I've swum across Blue Hole in Jamaica, which is this old submerged volcanic vent...you go out a few feet from the shore and the seabed just falls away from you into black nothingness. I head that some people went down to the bottom to explore it and Never Came Back. I loved the way when you looked down you could see the sunbeams from above just going down into the blackness. Spooky stuff.