version

his style in the naked lunch at least is so congenial and clear. if he introduces an obscure word he will frequently define it in brackets. never assuming you know more or less than he does. he also maintains a cranky old sense of humour throughout. never losing the straight man act no matter how deranged his subject matter.

This was what tipped me into ordering the first letters volume rather than the second. Apparently the first is him talking about drugs and traveling and he's precise and witty whereas a lot of the second is him talking about Scientology and the cut ups and complaining about money and publishers.

william_kent

His language and imagery's so potent. The voice too. I can hear him reading the stuff. That dry croak. It helps that he hammers the same ideas in so many books too. Each one drives the groove in your brain deeper.

I can't read Burroughs without hearing his voice resonate through my skull

maybe the only author where I truly experience and hear the "authorial voice"

woops

is not like other people
IMG-20230616-014319.jpg

william_kent

COMBAT COMMANDER TO BASE!

ACTION PACKED WAR COMIC!

Mark Stewart & The Maffia - The Wrong Name And The Wrong Number

PAY IT ALL
PAY IT ALL
PAY IT ALL
PAY IT ALL BACK

version

We've talked about the rumour he was CIA before, but I didn't know he was actually contacted by the OSS out of college.

After college he was tapped for the OSS by Wild Bill Donovan himself, although his application was suppressed by an inimical former housemaster from Harvard. In a 1982 interview, he compared himself to James Angleton, a literary intellectual who did become a high official of the CIA.

The Invisible Man, by Lucy Sante

• Wow
Reactions: sus

version

It's great what reading him does to your perception and awareness of certain things. I got a leaflet through the door the other day about Royal Mail's non-barcoded stamps expiring and it had the phrase TIME IS RUNNING OUT TO USE UP YOUR OLD NON-BARCODED STAMPS on it, but "non-barcoded stamps" was in yellow, so at a glance you'd just see TIME IS RUNNING OUT TO USE UP YOUR OLD.

I probably wouldn't have given it a second look if I hadn't been on the Burroughs frequency atm, but I did a double take and it really popped out at me.

version

It helps that he hammers the same ideas in so many books too. Each one drives the groove in your brain deeper.

Burroughs has erected a body of work that is oddly self-contained and self-referential. What makes this odd is that he so prizes the effect of breaking up the linear structure of his writing by chance devices and other interference from the outside. Since Naked Lunch, his writing has been invaded by overheard conversations, newspaper headlines, and similar kinds of texts that settle like airborne microbes. This kind of deliberate disruption goes back at least to Tristan Tzara; what is peculiar to Burroughs is the way that randomly chosen or observed details survive and mutate through book after book. The new novel, for example, begins on September 17, 1899, an innocuous-sounding date. However, it can be traced back to “Afternoon Ticker Tape,” a work he composed for Jeff Nuttall’s My Own Mag in 1964, in which he rearranged phrases from The New York Times of September 17, 1899.

Burroughs’s work abounds in such echoes. A Chinese shopkeeper observed by him in South America in 1953, and described in The Yage Letters, makes cameo appearances in at least five books, the context changing every time, but in every one he is sucking on his original toothpick. As isolated events in the books, such briefly glimpsed incidents and details are merely part of the texture, but their recurrence makes them unsettling, causing the reader momentary subliminal hesitation. They deliberately stir the familiar with the uncanny, and plant red herrings for anyone seeking a pattern.

The Invisible Man, by Lucy Sante

version

Trocchi being mentioned there along with Burroughs reminds me I stumbled across this intriguing sounding book recently.

21035574.jpg

"A poignant memoir of the Paris literary scene in the 1950s and 1960s by one of its protagonists. Some of last century's leading cultural figures are brought to life here, people who shaped our modern thinking and defined the tastes of an entire generation, changing forever the way we look at literature and the world around us. Drawing from the accounts of two fellow publishers—Maurice Girodias and Barney Rosset, who were also active in the heady days of 1950s and 1960s Paris, London, and New York—and from his own personal recollections, John Calder talks about the challenges of being a publisher in that era of censorship and political persecution and the problems faced by such writers as Beckett, Burroughs, Trocchi, and Miller to have their work accepted and recognized. Told in John Calder's trademark raconteur style and peppered with salacious, revealing, and entertaining anecdotes, this book will appeal both to the general reader and anyone who is interested in the social and cultural history of the 20th century."

william_kent

Trocchi being mentioned there along with Burroughs reminds me I stumbled across this intriguing sounding book recently.

21035574.jpg

"A poignant memoir of the Paris literary scene in the 1950s and 1960s by one of its protagonists. Some of last century's leading cultural figures are brought to life here, people who shaped our modern thinking and defined the tastes of an entire generation, changing forever the way we look at literature and the world around us. Drawing from the accounts of two fellow publishers—Maurice Girodias and Barney Rosset, who were also active in the heady days of 1950s and 1960s Paris, London, and New York—and from his own personal recollections, John Calder talks about the challenges of being a publisher in that era of censorship and political persecution and the problems faced by such writers as Beckett, Burroughs, Trocchi, and Miller to have their work accepted and recognized. Told in John Calder's trademark raconteur style and peppered with salacious, revealing, and entertaining anecdotes, this book will appeal both to the general reader and anyone who is interested in the social and cultural history of the 20th century."​

when I'm actually sober I may post my considerate and reasoned review of the Trocchi biography, 'Making of a Monster", but in the meantime here's the TLDR; version: "he was an absolute cunt"

41eXnmswhxL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

edit: although, fun fact. you know that novelty toilet paper where you wipe your arse on some dickhead politician's face? Trocchi invented that - about the only outcome of note from his "project SIGMA"

william_kent

edit: although the "Trocchi is a cunt" biography did cause me to buy a couple of books about Olympia Press and the Parisian sexploitation publishing scene, so it wasn't a complete loss