Rave revival?

swears

preppy-kei
I think any rave revival worth having would have to include the concept of implicit resistance to the currently prevailing cultural norms - hyper-consumerism, navel-gazing focus on the isolated 'I', voyeuristic celebrity-driven popular culture, presentation over substance, the application of goal-orientated management values to every sphere private & social....

Our popular culture is based as much on a phoney concept of togetherness and caring (I see sick-inducing mobile phone/private healthcare/family car advertising as one particularly accute manifestation of this) as it is on glitzy celeb obsession.
The worst part being that the celebrities we have at the moment are so naff.
They are the worst kind of sleazy moneyed no-style trash. This leaves all the post-punk-lite schmindie bands (Artic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, etc) to convienently fill the gap by being "normal" blokes that are sick of "fakeness".
So why not have a movement that produces stars worthy of our attention? Any new scene that's truly radical is going to be threatening to a lot of people that just aren't going to get it, but will eventually be forced to play catch up sooner or later.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
@swears- I'm with you on this one--- what is missing is a sense of sustained perversity, both in terms of the style and the aesthetics of the music itself... what's needed is the opposite of bloody PLUR (pass the sickbag...) but at the same time something which opposes the relentless, reality principled drive towards the ordinary... (the curious twist of the knife of individualism)

swears

preppy-kei
gek-opel said:
@Swears- I'm with you on this one--- what is missing is a sense of sustained perversity, both in terms of the style and the aesthetics of the music itself... what's needed is the opposite of bloody PLUR (pass the sickbag...) but at the same time something which opposes the relentless, reality principled drive towards the ordinary... (the curious twist of the knife of individualism)

Yeah, a big part of the 00's sleb culture is based around the appeal of how easy it is to relate to these Heat magazine reality TV contestant bores. So you have ordinaryness and megastardom bundled together in a nice, easy to digest package.

tryptych

waiting for a time
gek-opel said:
@Swears- I'm with you on this one--- what is missing is a sense of sustained perversity, both in terms of the style and the aesthetics of the music itself... what's needed is the opposite of bloody PLUR (pass the sickbag...) but at the same time something which opposes the relentless, reality principled drive towards the ordinary... (the curious twist of the knife of individualism)

some sort of dialectic with PLUR as thesis and invidualism as antithesis? ;) Aufgehoben and all that...?

It looks to me that contrary to what Swears says that culture as a whole has moved far to far towards the difference vs the similarity pole - all those things you mention are built on individualism, cult-of-self type stuff, with any "togetherness" derived from that, not equally axiomatic.

DJ PIMP

Celebs are mythological figures - their lives are inflated tales of success/excess/tragedy/drama.

Thinking more of the Hollywood style celeb than the reality telly celeb - tho that works too.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Individualism, much like free markets and communism, has of course never really been implemented on a mass scale... what appears to be individualism is merely selfish consumerism, which is very different: the way one expresses individuality here is by ending up very much like everyone else... I'm more on about perversity as aesthetic resistance perhaps... tho what we have at present is all tied up in the idea of consuming an image, via products/goods/services...

mms

sometimes
gek-opel said:

there is so much individualisim, wilfully perverse faddishness at the moment within these kind of ironic indie startups that everything becomes a piece of plywood over a cavernous black hole, (rave revival anyone) it's just a reminder of the kind of t.v . plur that swears is chatting about, false comfort as flip side of scare story from advertsing - (you'll feel much better if you do won't you, you don't know whats coming round the corner you will if you've got us won't you?) it's that cavernous black hole again..
rave etc was sustained perversity in so many ways, sustained by the rejection of the kind of stuff you guys are into, don't think you really get the plur thing, ironically it's quite present in dubstep, non hyeracical respect and the welcoming strangers, helping new artists up through the ranks etc, welcoming feedback. Rather that than what you offer which seems to be r and b clubs or posh indie clubs but with better music which you haven't decided on yet

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Well faddishness isn't perverse in an age of ever changing style is it now? And it need not have anything to do with "irony"... of course. The most perverse thing to do in such a climate would be very sustained, committed endeavour. I get what you say about Dubstep, it is (fairly) welcoming, that is true, but it appears more neutral, considered, than the post-Thatcherite chemical-collectivism of PLUR. It certainly doesn't have the kind of bitch-glam/aristocratic intentions that Swears is on about... But as dance music it is very, very perverse.

mms

sometimes
gek-opel said:
Well faddishness isn't perverse in an age of ever changing style is it now? And it need not have anything to do with "irony"... of course. The most perverse thing to do in such a climate would be very sustained, committed endeavour. I get what you say about Dubstep, it is (fairly) welcoming, that is true, but it appears more neutral, considered, than the post-Thatcherite chemical-collectivism of PLUR. It certainly doesn't have the kind of bitch-glam/aristocratic intentions that Swears is on about... But as dance music it is very, very perverse.

well, indie is sustained and committed perversion, faddishness within it could be considered to be indie subverting itself from within in a way, maybe being committed to some of the things that are faddish would create the kind of objective you are after?

swears

preppy-kei
Indie? Perverse?

mms said:
well, indie is sustained and committed perversion, faddishness within it could be considered to be indie subverting itself from within in a way, maybe being committed to some of the things that are faddish would create the kind of objective you are after?

Maybe indie was perverse twenty years ago. Ideas like raiding your parents dusty records from the sixties, twee asexual fashion statements and lo-tech recording methods were antithetical to what was "chart material" at the time. "Career suicide" in fact, totally at odds with aspirational yuppie attitudes.
Since Britpop though, (particularly What's the Story, Morning Glory) I can't see how you'd view the genre as anything but totally mainstream.
You can only be a pervert in relation to what's considered the norm. And any sense of indie's perversity is long gone...

D84

mms said:
i 'm more talking about sound design techniques, new ways of making music and hearing it back really, but again this can position a type of music in history quite easily. but then do you really want something timeless? what does that mean really..
Well this is it. Everything has a life including musical movements.

Rave music is very much of a certain place in time and belongs there. 15 years ago it was new and fresh and sounded like nothing else. Now it sounds like "rave" or whatever; it has changed and grown up (for better or worse) into tech house minimal jungle dubstep etc, which is still cool esp. if you get a good dj.

I guess what we're all waiting for is the new holy grail of something that sounds like nothing else before, or at least convincingly pretends that it does.

I like this idea of a necessary element of perversity in vital music: but one could say the same about any good art. That queasy feeling, whether you're listening to Analogue Bubblebath or watching an episode of Fawlty Towers, is your brain interacting with art, themes ideas resonating etc (I hope that makes sense).

Norma Snockers said:
Normally some fad like burial comes, goes, that's it. A few mouse clicks and pontifications and that 'scene' is soon dealt with.
Well, that's the problem of dealing with sensual topics like music in an a priori, strictly talk-based manner (eg. internet forums etc) without engaging with a record over a period of time, and/or going to a club/gig and engaging with a scene personally. Some personal live interaction is desirable. As I read somewhere recently: if you want to understand the world you have to get involved - even if it means getting burnt a couple of times.

I'm not setting myself as some kind of paragon of virtue here as I have been just as guilty of point and click critiques, esp. when it comes to such things as indie rave revivals which to me seem easily dismissed in such a manner, but I do like to think that some of my opinions are based on some empirical data.

I guess this is the problem of electronic networking like this in that where previously scenes had a chance to grow and fester in relative obscurity such that something interesting should eventually emerge along with a back-catalogue to explore, now someone's private experiments are immediately uploaded to myspace or something and immediately ignored, pilloried or overhyped.

I'm not trying to discredit online armchair criticism (I'm not going to stop : ) but rather problematise it, if that makes sense - approach it in a critical manner.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
swears said:
Maybe indie was perverse twenty years ago. Ideas like raiding your parents dusty records from the sixties, twee asexual fashion statements and lo-tech recording methods were antithetical to what was "chart material" at the time. "Career suicide" in fact, totally at odds with aspirational yuppie attitudes.
Since Britpop though, (particularly What's the Story, Morning Glory) I can't see how you'd view the genre as anything but totally mainstream.
Does that mean we can now have a positive reappraisal of indie from a popist point of view?

swears

preppy-kei
Slothrop said:
Does that mean we can now have a positive reappraisal of indie from a popist point of view?

That's one of it's main defences at the moment anyway. "Your hatred of The ******s is based solely on their popularity."

soundslike1981

Slothrop said:

Hahaha that's one of the inherent contradictions of so-called "popism", right? That it's ostensibly battling dinosaur rock-snobbery toward the music of the masses, fighting the good fight for gloriously "inauthentic" musical forms; except for it has its own aesthetic "snobbery" (even if defined in the negative) toward some music which might become popular--ie shitty indie rock. One more reason to bin the whole dichotomy.

at least popism has contradictions! i would think 'popists' and 'rockists' could unite on something like the klaxons, but there seems to be a larger, popist 'dance poseur' thing going on which doesn't necessarily have all that much to do w/rave and isn't restricted to england.

swears

preppy-kei
artdamages said:
at least popism has contradictions! i would think 'popists' and 'rockists' could unite on something like the klaxons....

Yeah the popists will think it's shit 'cause "it sounds like weedy indie with token "ravey" bits and won't sell that many copies anyway, (they will be forgotten in six months, far before they would have seen any chart action)"

And the rockists will think it's shit because "they're just taking the piss, there's no real heart going into it, they're not auteurs/innovators star-crossed geniuses and besides everything's so ironic these days maaaaaan..."

CHARTS
Fink
(Ninja Tune)
Brighton, UK
www.finkworld.co.uk

1. Klaxons, "Atlantis to Interzone" (Merok)
2. The Lodge, "Noose" (Destructive)
3. The Futureheads, "Skip to the End (Digitalism Remix)" (679)
4. Foreign Islands, "Fine Dining with the Future" (Foreign Islands)
5. The Whitest Boy Alive, "Dead End" (Service)
6. The Knife, "We Share Our Mother's Health" (Brille)
7. The Red Chair, "Sanctified" (white label)
8. You Say Party! We Say Die!, "The Gap (Between the Rich & the Poor)" (Cheesedream)
9. Annie, "Crush (Remixes)" (Dim Mak)
10. The Young Knives, "Weekends and Bleak Days" (Transgressive)

swears

preppy-kei
The Fall
Idiot Joy Showland

Idiot groups with no shape or form
Out of their heads on a quid of blow
The shapeless kecks* flapping up a storm
Look at what they are: a pack of worms

Idiot joy showland

The nylon leaves are falling
From the twisted shell of your cranium
Your mystic jump suits cannot hide
Your competitive plagiarism

Idiot joy showland

Freddie and the dreamers, come on up
Hey you imitators, come on up
Hey little singer, come on up
Show us your house and
Show us your cock
The working class has been shafted
So what the fuck you sneering at?
Your prerogative in life it seems
Is living out an ad man’s dream

Idiot joy showland

California has disneyland
And blackpool has a funland
And flanders had no man’s land
This place idiot show bands

Idiot joy showland

And now microcosms come and go
And it’s amazing what they show
Your sportsmen’s tears are laudanum
Idiot joy showland

The locusts are all queuing in
For idiot joy showland
Idiot joy

O

Omaar

Two hundred riot police from five counties used CS gas, dogs and batons to disperse 1,000 ravers at an illegal party in Essex on Saturday night. Riots broke out in a corn field next to the village of Ickleton, near Saffron Walden, as partygoers clashed with police in scenes reminiscent of the zenith of the free party movement in the late 1980s.

Strangely when I looked at this article it was accompanied by an image of a burning wicker man, advertising remake of film of same name.

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1859791,00.html

Partying like it's 1989? These days, as rave veteran Sarah Champion discovers, the kids are as young as 12, the drug is laughing gas, the venues are forest glades and the music is harder and faster. One thing hasn't changed, though - trying to keep one step ahead of the police

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1859099,00.html