Painting

sufi

lala
May 6. Today I tried the experiment of taking up more than mere notebooks. I took a canvas, a dozen brushes and a full set palette. The Palette was disastrous. Within a few moments of taking off, I noticed Indian red on my sleeve. The observer crept forward to the navigator’s seat where I was, and shouted into my ear, ‘Have you got everything you want?’ ‘Yes, thank you’ I shouted back, ‘but you have got some ultramarine on your cheek. I remembered noticing an air gunner holding the palette at a dangerously acute angle as he handed it to someone. And worse. Nearly all the so carefully arranged large clumps of paint round the palette’s edge were, I saw now with dismay, gone. They had evidently slipped off or been smeared off. But I could not be Without them. They must be found, scraped up penuriously from the floor or anywhere. Then I saw the legs of the air gunner. My precious cadmium red! The observer, the pilot even, all were strangely daubed handed round proved in that cramped space more distributive than cleansing. Their hands, their faces, their flying kit were crimson, blue, white, black, yellow, or tartan. It was a great success.
402816bc1a03bc1cba7ccad48f1a9e25.jpg

luka

i was tripping out over ceezannes lake annency in the courtauld today but cant find a pic that looks remotely like it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm always trying to 'understand' Cezanne by reading about him. I think sometimes I get an inkling of why he's worshipped but a lot of the time his paintings look a bit ugly to me. Monet is much easier to understand, ofc, because his paintings are pretty.

luka

just that. and the card players. and one of the very early things i cant remember what it was but it was great. and an amazing portrait

craner

Beast of Burden
i was tripping out over ceezannes lake annency in the courtauld today but cant find a pic that looks remotely like it

It's weird, I've noticed this too. Online photos/reproductions are never the same, sometimes bizzarely different.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Portrait of Dr Morales by Leonora Carrington, 3 portraits via available catalogues due to the differences in detail gleamed from google images and the better resolution is below

Visiting old clients in secure units, apart from blagging books to subsequently return, you meet this type of malevolent human atypically policing various medication rounds in the dead heart of night - Dr Morales here - and to have so many layers of psychic ghoulishness rendered dead eyed in two-tone colour remains a miracle of a sepulchral depiction

IMG_3630.jpeg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I had a bit of a revelation in my ongoing quest to appreciate Cezanne—this still life with a cupid, which I've seen before, the way he's bent perspective so the table top curves and rears up to meet the cupid (and the echoing twist of its torso). And then noticing how he's wrenched all sorts of things to do with perspective about to create a unified abstract pattern. And how that green apple sitting at the top of the table HAS to be there.

Nature_morte_au_Ch%C3%A9rubin%2C_par_Paul_C%C3%A9zanne.jpg