me: opening for Pan Sonic

zhao

there are no accidents
PANSONIC_1.1.gif

PANSONIC_2.0.gif

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I love Pan Sonic, hopefully they'll do some shows in England soon.
That's a lovely flyer, nice and simple not like some of the over designed messes you see blowing around.
What do Airwolf sound like? They have an awesome name. :)

Hope it goes well and you're not playing to an empty room before everyone shows up.

zhao

there are no accidents
Hope it goes well and you're not playing to an empty room before everyone shows up.

this has certainly happened in the past... sigh... but I think people will show up on time for this and also after my main set I think I will be doing several little ones in between artists.

I'm good in supporting roles as dj (but that's just because I haven't yet started composing and making music...)

swears

preppy-kei
So what you gonna play?
I reckon you drop Limp Bizkit or something, not even an IDM edit, just a really shit song without even kitsch value. That would fuck with people more than any noise track!:D

zhao

there are no accidents
well I was GOING to do that but now you've ruined it by telling EVERYONE the super surprise BOMB in my play list. thanks a LOT. :mad:

zhao

there are no accidents
jazzanova... how about if I just show up in a T-shirt that reads "I AM GAY NOT GAY HOMO BUT GAY RETARDED" and proceed to jam ball-point pens in my right eye and piss all over myself.

zhao

there are no accidents
Show Review

PanSonic_live.jpg

apart from the embarrassingly weak Air Wolf, who played the most wince-inducing entry-level trip-hop with pathetic keyboard melodies like some 5th generation imitation of Boards of Cannada, MASSIVE performances from everyone else.

the audience was about 100 strong in the 2nd floor gallery space overlooking Hollywood Forever Cemetary, as Damion Romero's rumbling wall of feedback re-arranged neurons and internal organs alike in an analog noise session of throbbing bass frequencies. standing in the room surrounded by powerful stacks of "turbo-sound", the music, like heliocopter rotor-blades or Gyoto Monks, is so powerful and all encompassing that bodies vibrate, senses distort and the mind is all but wiped clean for the entire duration.

I played 3 dj sets, about 1.5 hours all together. electro-acoustic static and "no-input" feedback systems co-mingling in timeless fashion; fragmented shards of digital debris sometimes punctuating the stretched out passages; and occasional beats erupt by way of dubstep. highlight is a 30 minute set right before Pan Sonic took the stage - an uninterrupted mass of pure and over-tones including David Hykes, Ryoji Ikeda, Alvin Lucier, and Rafael Toral which transformed the space into a hypnotic psychoactive resonance chamber.

Pan Sonic gave an absolutely devastating performance. comprised of brand new material from the forth-coming album which takes off from the second disc of Kesto Box - track after track of menacing, concise, beats driven, unrelenting intensity brocken by short interludes of tone and texture. metalic, ominous industrial noise-dub like a pack of demon-wolves, like old gods of war reborn in steel -- the exhilaration of consistent, doom laden dark rush of adrenalin has no comparison in any genre, be it Noise, Techno, Hiphop, or Death Metal.

while Mika was entirely incommunicative before and after the show and seemed either exhausted, sick of interacting with "fans" or saturated with Eastern-Bloc Spiritual Ennui™, Ilpo was a friendly fellow who divulged that just like me, he listens to mostly modern classical, and also expressed his admiration of G.I. Gourdjif's teachings and music (his favorite are the accordian recordings while I prefer the piano ones). had a good laugh about the Georgian mystic selling painted pigeons as rare, pink doves in Paris, he said he doesn't know why Pan Sonic is getting more aggressive with the years instead of peaceful.

not sure if their coming thursday set will be a repeat of this material, I guess we'll find out.

everything was professionally recorded, expect mp3's soon.

carlos

manos de piedra
thanks for the review

i saw pan sonic live in 99- they were much more intense/louder/harsher than their records at that point- sounded really fantastic

would love to hear an mp3 of their set for this

zhao

there are no accidents
it is interesting that they are getting LESS abstract, and more tight, with all tracks clocking in at about 4 minutes, and I swear some *almost* even have a chorus/bridge dynamic.