Clothes

STN

sou'wester
I think that's right - you occasionally see old white geezers wearing the more "flat cap" style kangols. You might also be interested to know that the old Vortex on Stoke Newington church street was previously a kangol factory, if memory serves!

Really? I never knew that. A good bit of local history, which I will no doubt soon show off while trying to give the impression that I always knew it. Cheers.

Do you reckon they (Kangol) initially made just old bloke flatcaps, sun hats and deerstalkers and branched out into more outlandish things (such as the strange furry thing sported by Festus on about 40 million reggae flyers) in response to their new customer base? Or do you think there was previously an old-white-guy customer-base for every hat currently in the Kangol range (presumably made up of golfers)?

john eden

male pale and stale
Really? I never knew that. A good bit of local history, which I will no doubt soon show off while trying to give the impression that I always knew it. Cheers.

Do you reckon they (Kangol) initially made just old bloke flatcaps, sun hats and deerstalkers and branched out into more outlandish things (such as the strange furry thing sported by Festus on about 40 million reggae flyers) in response to their new customer base? Or do you think there was previously an old-white-guy customer-base for every hat currently in the Kangol range (presumably made up of golfers)?

I dunno - but even thinking of this has made me crack up at work! :D

O

Omaar

that's a dapper cat

He's much more impressive in person ... certainly one of the oddest pieces of taxidermy I've had the good fortune to see. That shop is like a trip back in time, what a strange selection of headwear ... not especially welcoming though, I think the proprietor quickly realised that I was not a gentleman.

Are trouser legs going to get wider anytime soon, I'm not really all that happy about this super taper thing going on. I thought it was just a passing fad but it seems to be the norm now in certain circles.

STN

sou'wester
An online history: http://www.kangol.com/heritage/ (slightly cosy 'tongue-in-cheek' style)

Apparently it all started with berets, then crash helmets and in the 70s/80s they re-invented themselves, launching a two-pronged attack and ensnaring the b-boy and the golfer markets at once.

Next time I see an old guy wearing a flatcap in the street, I'm going to imagine him sporting a fluffy Festus instead.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'm nautical this winter, currently rocking a breton sailors cap, brown sailors slop and pea coat, with oiled wool off-white polo if necessary. Wool and felt! They breathe and are waterproof and verily I am the captain of my own ship! Blow the man down!

mms

sometimes
I'm nautical this winter, currently rocking a breton sailors cap, brown sailors slop and pea coat, with oiled wool off-white polo if necessary. Wool and felt! They breathe and are waterproof and verily I am the captain of my own ship! Blow the man down!

haha.
i wish the pirate look would come back into fashion, maybe with a new rave twist.:slanted:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I saw a guy rocking a WW1 fighter pilot look on the tube the other day, we eyed each other warily in a kind of 'Him airforce, me Navy' type thing. I wasn't sure whether I was meant to fight him or fuck him.

alo

There seems to be quite a few lanky lads on here, no?

Well, when it comes to clothes i too am a fucking disaster. I'm 6'1 and have a 30" waist: what looks good on me is like some fucking cruel raffle. ie: not much.
The high street is really, utter, utter shit. 30" trousers or jeans soon end up as 34" for instance.
So then i'll turn to the tragi-comic tombola that is ebay to sort me out and inevitably get disappointed.
In my mind, i want to get some well fitted classic stuff: Burberry, westwood, Fred Perry and then go from there, classic italian shoes, but, fuck its expensive!

gek-opel

entered apprentice
What is it about clothing for men and the fact that it is seemingly designed for the norm of an extremely rotund middle aged chap? A standard shirt (which fits in terms of collar and arm length) appears to allow for grotesque amounts of paunch growth in terms of the billowing expanse of fabric that flops out at the midriff. Buying clothes to fit the skeletal male frame is a nightmare.

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
the only brand that makes me salivate a bit is dunhill. top clothes!

readytowear_jacket.jpg

i want that jacket.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
just yesterday was biting my lower lip about this Just Cavali jacket which was like, made for me. def on the bling/swank side of things but just perfect... was $900, on sale for $300. at the end decided that I couldn't justify it even with the incredible discount. plus it really did look a little TOO good if you know what I mean...

zhao

there are no accidents
FUCK!!! what if it's still there!?!? what if I stopped by after work and picked it up?!?! what if I don't really care if i make every one around me look like sloppy babies???!?!

what I hate is the "smart people have to look drab and boring / only shallow fake retards look fashionable" thing that seems to be a rule in LA - guess I kind of understand it in the context of this city - is there a similar mentality going on else where?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I'm not understanding the "looking too good" argument. The expense issue, yes, but the only problem with looking "too good" would be if it was so much better than anything else you owned it would look ridiculous.

turtles

in the sea
I'm not understanding the "looking too good" argument. The expense issue, yes, but the only problem with looking "too good" would be if it was so much better than anything else you owned it would look ridiculous.
Depends on the company you keep. I mostly hang out with an assortment of students and snowboarders (not as bad as it sounds, really!) and am about the only one to not subscribe to the jeans 'n' hoodie look...sometimes the scrutiny of looking classy amongst a bunch of "casual" type wear can be kind of intense. There's only so much standing out from the crowd a person can handle before they start feeling a bit self-conscious.

also, gek, otm re: fitting the tall-thin male frame, 6'3", 180 lbs, same goddamn problem.

zhao

there are no accidents
sometimes the scrutiny of looking classy amongst a bunch of "casual" type wear can be kind of intense. There's only so much standing out from the crowd a person can handle before they start feeling a bit self-conscious.

eXACtly. I already stand out, which i don't mind at all... but this jacket might propel me dangerously close to the actor / male model sector of society... which is definitely worrisome. don't think I'll be getting it after all.

Rambler

Awanturnik
What is it about clothing for men and the fact that it is seemingly designed for the norm of an extremely rotund middle aged chap? A standard shirt (which fits in terms of collar and arm length) appears to allow for grotesque amounts of paunch growth in terms of the billowing expanse of fabric that flops out at the midriff. Buying clothes to fit the skeletal male frame is a nightmare.

5'10", so I'm not exactly tall, but definitely skeletal and - honestly - Ripcurl trousers have been a revelation. Obv avoid the urban guerilla/surf hippy crossover crap, but there are some nice things cut for the slimmer gentleman.

Also, tailored shirts are the business. You can get them done for £50-60 each, and you'll never regret it. A million times more satisfying than buying something shrink-wrapped that you can't try on, based solely on your neck size. Who the hell thought up that system? :slanted: