the flute

dHarry

He's great on Coltrane LPs Ole Coltrane and Africa Brass (haven't heard the live Village Vanguard yet), and Oliver Nelson's Blues and The Abstract Truth, also on George Russell's Ezz-thetics. Out To Lunch is his masterpiece; lurching, drunken, and free-wheeling but always melodic and somehow structured in spite of everything. There's a strong case to be made for his being possibly the greatest sax and flute improviser ever; endlessly, fluidly inventive. Notes, phrases, and unexpected leaps seem to just bubble out of him.

Re: the flute - I've never read up on this, but it's presumably the oldest melodic intrument, insofar as hollow bone or bamboo can be blown across to produce a note? So it resonates deeply, pun intended. I wonder what "primitive" people made of the discovery of the ability to produce melodic sound like that, vis-a-vis gods, magic, etc. Anyone have any knowledge of/speculation on this area?

Rambler

Awanturnik
I think the oldest bone flutes that have been dated are from about 36,000 BC. No idea about significances attached to music making back then though.

zhao

there are no accidents
Dolphy's posthumous release of "experimental works" called Other Aspects has a few amazing flute tracks on it, with an almost classical feel. great, great stuff. also, in the middle of Conversations (my personal favorite), there is a flute track that you just can't fuck with.

I think it is becoming widely accepted that the beginning of music is inextricably tied to the beginning of ritual - a necessity for which (and also language, hierarchy etc) arose out of the shift to a new agricultural based society from the nomadic Gatherer/Hunter society.

tate

Brown Sugar
Am I correct in remembering that My Bloody Valentine had a flute player on stage during the Loveless tour?
Not that I remember, though it was long ago, and I could be mistaken - saw the Loveless tour in Chicago, summer of '92 (iirc).