Albums/artists you just DON'T GET.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Good call on Laurie Anderson tho - wtf is the appeal of 'O Superman' when you can listen to someone like Meredith Monk instead?

I'd agree on Laurie Anderson but the synth line at the end of 'O Superman'? Killer. Meredith Monk never did nuttin like that.

MankyFiver

bonnie 'prince' billy, got a couple of records and went back and tried to listen to them and i just find him so annoying and precious, though i did like "death to everyone"

throbbing gristle - maybe you had to be around at the time but it just makes me shrug my shoulders

boredoms circa vision newsun - dull

zhao

there are no accidents
Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats ----- 30 years ahead of its time. timeless. sounds fucking great right now. and will continue to.

who doesn't get Miles? next time you feel a little down, just working on some shit by yourself in the studio, put on 'Round About Midnight... or some saturday morning when you are driving somewhere, put on In a Silent Way...

what I don't get is, and I mean AT ALL: Mark Stewart and the Pop Group. it's an english thing innit?

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
what I don't get is, and I mean AT ALL: Mark Stewart and the Pop Group. it's an english thing innit?

Tell that to Ministry....

Plus, Pop Group/ Stewart were always bigger in Europe and Japan than they ever were in the UK.

Guybrush

Dittohead
who doesn't get Miles? next time you feel a little down, just working on some shit by yourself in the studio, put on 'Round About Midnight... or some saturday morning when you are driving somewhere, put on In a Silent Way...
I have given Miles several chances and I am sure I will get him sometime, I just find him hard to penetrate. I have tried Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew and Miles Ahead, neither of which excited me that much. I find this peculiar because I like several Weather Report records (though motly the poppy ones, Black Market and Night Passage are my favourites) and thought that Bitches Brew would resound—but nope. (Unfortunately the first record of his I brought was Tutu so we had a bit of a rough start. :) )I also like Coltrane a lot, so I am beginning to wonder if maybe it is the sound of the trumpet I cannot stand—there is something squeaky about it thankfully absent in most saxophones.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Jazz as an entire genre could be classed as music I don't 'get' - apart from Monk and latin stuff like Tom Jobim, nothing has really reached out & grabbed me. Someone upthread said something to the effect of 'if music is worth spending time with, it won't be immediate' - I disagree, good music should have an effect on the first listen: that doesnt preclude new interpretations on repeated listens over time, but the initial spark should always be there.

The 60s canon - Dylan, Beatles & Beach Boys go over my head, esp. Dylan. The Byrds are class, and Love are good in places - but I 'get' them, I can hear how the forces around them are pulling the music into strange shapes, even if they don't always deploy that effectively. The Doors I'm seriously getting into recently, and developing a parallel theory that they are the unacknowledged godfathers of Krautrock which you can read more about here (scroll down).

Bowie is an interesting one to bring up - because there's so many different sides of him to 'get'. For years I loved the Berlin stuff but the Hunky Dory era material left me cold - not helped by being raked over by Blur so cack-handedly in the 90s. But I got Ziggy Stardust recently and that absolutely blew me away, so much better than Hunky Dory.

Stuff I used to get but now don't - Nirvana. Lyrically, Cobain's navel-gazing is just the flipside of 80s selfishness. I also find now that musically, it doesn't work as rock music - the guitar is too weedy to get that monolithic stoner rock immensity, and the rhythm section doesn't flex enough to get that 60s power trio suppleness that Hendrix and the Stooges had. I'd way rather listen to Pearl Jam than Nirvana now.

MankyFiver

yeah kinda agree with the jazz thing, i used to think i would get it at some point and bought plenty but the only things ive liked are the very mellow tuneful things e.g. sketches of spain
though i love black woman - sonny sharrock but i think thats cos there are no horns on it

cannot stand free jazz

MankyFiver

Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats ----- 30 years ahead of its time. timeless. sounds fucking great right now. and will continue to.

ive just been listening to that since i bought it only the other week and it leaves me a bit non plussed though kinda like hot on the heels of love

also dont understand the fuss around massive attack, love unfinished sympathy but nothing else really manages to get me that excited

alo

there's a sense that every sound has been mapped out perfectly. i love some music like that, but in pop it just doesn't work. it needs to be a little out of control or messy

Er... since when has Pop music NOT been about the producer, NOT been about the PRODUCT> The Beatles realised that music could be about timbre, feeling, sound, image, movement, as well as musicality.
Ditto Timberlake/ Jackson/ Pistols/ Miles etc::
thats why the Rolling Stones are my particular "i don't get it". They really are shit. Leaving the damaging, indelible image of the ROCK WASRTREL TM imprinted on the wank fantasy minds of useless middle class teenagers everywhere.
The Beatles by contrast left a hundred different images and were way more interesting.

zhao

there are no accidents
Hi gay-punk! good to see you! changed my name but I'm still confused... :D

maybe I have not heard the right m stewart rekkids... tried and failed to get "Learning to Cope With Cowardice" and the other one called something about genocide or catastrophe or something... should give that soul jazz comp a spin sometime - it's a reliable best-of, yes? recommendation?

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
ive just been listening to that since i bought it only the other week and it leaves me a bit non plussed though kinda like hot on the heels of love

Yeah I was nonplussed by 20 Jazz Funk Greats. Childish, comapered to contemparary disco, and P. Orridge's vocals make me snigger.

OK... really contentious one here, but... Can are a bit bloody tiresome, aren't they? I mean, does anyone actually listen to Tago Mago from start to finish?

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

I listen to Tago Mago all-through, but not very often.

Throbbing Gristle are TRYING to make you hate them. That's part of what I love about them. With them, some of the lyrics and vocals can get so intense that you forget how amazing the backing music is. Hot on the Heels of Love is an amazing beat and I love their dry hissy textures. so psychedelic, them. D.O.A. is pretty good, maybe you should try it if 20 Jazz Funk Greats is too much. hehe.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
let's not forget 20 jazz funk was made in 1977 - and pretty much each song went on to become a sub-genre in the next 3 decades -- you've got, if memory serves, in order of appearance on the album: 1. dark ambient 2. minimal techno 3. noise punk / shoegaze 4. electro-house 5. illbient/(white) abstract hiphop 6. etc.

the only thing wrong with Tago Mago is that it is not an 8 CD box set.

N

nomadologist

yeah, Zhao, Throbbing Gristle continue to amaze me. i remixed Hot on the Heels of Love once and made it all saturated for fun, added a bunch of reverb to the bass, and made the beat stompier, they way people would prefer it now I'm sure, better for iPod listening. Took some of the narrative forward momentum out of it.

This only served to remind me why their thin, dry treblegritty textures sound so good the way they are, all the air sucked out of the atmosphere. They used to put on a negative ionizer during their performances and I've read that you could feel the air thinning and the negative energy would crackle all evillike. Saw Genesis perform with Thee Majesty opening for Suicide at the Knitting Factory a couple years ago at this time of year. Still a horrifically good performer but I don't think they put on the ionizer. :(

N

nomadologist

Childish, comapered to contemparary disco, and P. Orridge's vocals make me snigger.

What are you talking about? Throbbing Gristle is industrial. Comparing it to "contemporary disco" (do mean contemporary as in now, or contemporaneous as in TG's contemporaries?) seems a strange way to evaluate industrial pioneers sonically.

tate

Brown Sugar
Exactly. The Ramones bore me after a few songs, but I love the Pistols' (semi-fake, granted) nihilism. Although without Lydon as singer (one of THE great frontmen, if not the greatest), it's moot as to whether I would be so effusive about them.
Part of understanding the Ramones is understanding the moment in stateside musical history when they appeared. If you don't know that, they may not make much sense.

I was talking about exactly this moment with Rger Miller of Mission of Burma a couple of months ago. He, my gf, and I were talking about his first exposure to punk rock, and about the Ramones. He said that at the time, he had been through the beatles, prog, and free jazz, and at a certain point, he was living in ann arbor, michigan and would get baked and watch the MC5 in the afternoon, then would go to watch the orchestra play stockhausen and other contemporary classical music at night. This was the norm, the basic approach, he said. Then, at a party one evening, someone put on the Ramones, which had just been released. He grabbed his friend and said, "do you see, these songs are only two and three minutes long, and there are no guitar solos."

My girlfriend/domestic partner recently asked Tommy Ramone, the only surviving member of the band, about the period in question. Brilliant person whom she is, she also asked about the Ramones' music as a response to prog and disco, to the question of whether or not the Ramones' music was "futuristic" or not, to Tommy's continued use of the proper name 'Ramone' (even though he now plays bluegrass), to his relationship to music history, and to many more quite salient issues:

http://www.ithacatimesartsblog.com/...lis-of-girl-talk/interview-with-tommy-ramone/

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

that's an interesting interview and your partner's blog seems nice, but I still don't like how the Ramones sound

tate

Brown Sugar
that's an interesting interview and your partner's blog seems nice, but I still don't like how the Ramones sound
The point wasn't to change anyone's opinion regarding how a band "sounds," since I have no interest in convincing anyone of anything in the domain of taste -- it was to add historical context, since the title of the thread was "get," not "like." I don't listen to the Ramones either, for what it's worth. But thank you for the nice words. :)

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
They used to put on a negative ionizer during their performances and I've read that you could feel the air thinning and the negative energy would crackle all evillike. Saw Genesis perform with Thee Majesty opening for Suicide at the Knitting Factory a couple years ago at this time of year. Still a horrifically good performer but I don't think they put on the ionizer. :(

Where did you read about a -"negative ionizer", being used at Throbbing Gristle performances?

:)