"Cocaine Rap" Sasha Frere-Jones hilarious delusion

N

nomadologist

yeah, I know what you mean, Guybrush. Though I use completely different parts of my brain for different languages and I always feel that when I'm really doing well with another language, I'm not using it in reference to English at all. The words just mean something completely different that you can't quite translate. I know with Spanish there are so many expressions we say that you just can't translate and fit certain situations and when we use them mean something I couldn't/wouldn't say in English

(how could you bore someone who comes here anyway? people here bother to fight about different genres being "dead." that's basically rock bottom, isn't it?)

gabriel

The Heatwave
i agree with guybrush entirely. it's why i find the misogyny, violence etc in a lot of hip hop impossible to listen to without wincing while similar/equivalent stuff in jamaican patois. although i understand the patois, it doesn't resonate with me in the same way as the 'proper' english of rappers

spanish friends of mine can't listen to certain reggaeton tunes for the same reason - but again, will listen to equivalent stuff in jamaican patois or american english. again, i can usually understand the spanish lyrics and see what's objectionable about them, but they don't hit home as hard as they would if they were in english