This forum STINKS! I hate it!

Don Rosco

I don't mean it like that. I really like this place. The signal-to-noise ratio is great, people are polite, you hear about great music. All that shit is rocking. Why do I hate it?

The new posts thing. I want posts to stay unread until I read them. It doesn't do that. It marks stuff that's old as read. I know it sounds pedantic, but it really puts me off browsing threads. Some questions:

Why is it like that when no other forum i'm on seems to suffer from the same problem?

Does anyone else get wound up by it?

Can it be fixed?

Will it be fixed?

Please, please, please say YES! to the last two. It would make an old man very happy.

Woebot

I don't mean it like that. I really like this place. The signal-to-noise ratio is great, people are polite, you hear about great music. All that shit is rocking. Why do I hate it?

The new posts thing. I want posts to stay unread until I read them. It doesn't do that. It marks stuff that's old as read. I know it sounds pedantic, but it really puts me off browsing threads. Some questions:

Why is it like that when no other forum i'm on seems to suffer from the same problem?

Does anyone else get wound up by it?

Can it be fixed?

Will it be fixed?

Please, please, please say YES! to the last two. It would make an old man very happy.

hey don,

as you've worked out - the vB software the board runs on senses your cookies and tells you which stuff has been updated since you were last at the board. i don't mind it so much as the first thing i do when i log onto the board is check the "new posts" button at the top.

once that window is open i keep it that way and right click whichever thread i want to explore "open in new tab" so i can go back to the tab with the snapshot of "new posts".

i think there is something like a half hour window when new posts are kept that way, ie marked "new". i suppose what i'm driving at is that it aint a bug as such, anso i suppose not "fixable" in one sense.

i will look into it for you though.

Don Rosco

the first thing i do when i log onto the board is check the "new posts" button at the top.

once that window is open i keep it that way and right click whichever thread i want to explore "open in new tab" so i can go back to the tab with the snapshot of "new posts".

i think there is something like a half hour window when new posts are kept that way, ie marked "new". i suppose what i'm driving at is that it aint a bug as such, anso i suppose not "fixable" in one sense.

i will look into it for you though.

Thanks. I tend to work round it too, just go into the music forum and hit back instead of the link to the index, so the posts stay marked 'new'. I could try your method, but I do try and keep my tabaholic tendencies in check as much as possible! I'm up to 13 now, and this is a good day...

Maybe if you extended the half hour window to a longer period? Like forever? Whatever you have a chance to do is sweet. I more needed to get it off my chest than anything else.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Is it just me or has this forum become balls-achingly slow to load in the last few weeks?
I'm not getting this problem on any other websites, wondered if anyone else had the same issue?