butter

Immryr

does anyone use any other butter than lurpak? if so, what - and why?

also is anyone oldschool enough to still use the non spreadable stuff? i recently bought a pack of it, i had totally forgotten how different it is to the spreadable one. nice, but it really is a major pain trying to spread it.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Hell yeah, I totally eat good butter man, it's delicious. Best butter I've had was in Quebec, but France is definitely up there. Thank you cows, we love you!

ripley

we get this Irish butter that's pretty good. But the Breton butter with salt is incredible (and expensive)

man, now I'm all hungry for super-buttery food - like pumpkin with sage and browned butter sauce

or really good toast...

Lichen

You'll never put a better bit a butter on yer knoif

does anyone use any other butter than lurpak? if so, what - and why?

also is anyone oldschool enough to still use the non spreadable stuff?.

President (french and unsalted) is yummy. Also we sometimes get butter from Jersey cows.

Certainly use non-spreadable. Lives out of the fridge in a butter dish, and remains workable.

Problem with most of the new-fangled spreadables is that they blend icky oil in to make them so.

This means they are foul to cook with and don't taste like butter should.

If you're going to eat butter, eat butter.

S

simon silverdollar

yeah President butter is hardcore.

i'm of the opinion that all food is improved with the addition of butter.

does anyone know how hard it is to make yr own butter?

Lichen

A matter of very slowly churnig milk; it eventually thickens into butter.

Perhaps in the same way runny cream becomes whipped cream.

gabriel

The Heatwave
my brother came up with a butter motto a while back that i've lived by ever since - "treat butter like it's cheese". nice thick slices of it on bread, yum. president is definitely one of my favourites, i think there's a cornish or welsh one that i eat sometimes as well. spreadable is useful for a layer on toast under something like marmite, but for the pure bread & butter hit it's got to be proper butter, kept in the fridge...

mos dan

fact music
does anyone know exactly how bad for you butter and cheese are? cause i eat tonnes of both... i don't eat much chocolate and sweet stuff, only smoke a bit, don't drink too much, am in my mid-20s, do a fair amount of exercise, have a good bmi, but i eat so much butter and cheese i'm convinced it's going to give me a heart attack. is it?

(it'd be pointless to ask my doctor this question, i'm figuring, because they'd say 'just eat less of it', which is a rather reductive, facile response to the issue, imo ;) )

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One of my pet hates is seeing New Zealand butter on the shelves next to English butter. I mean, it's not even like it's any better, it's just the same. Yet for some reason, we have it shipped here, from a place which literally couldn't be further away without it being made on the sodding Moon, to be sold to us so we can have 'choice'.

I mean, Jesus fuck. Doesn't that just sum up everything that's wrong with our current system of international trade relations in one go?

dHarry

does anyone know exactly how bad for you butter and cheese are? cause i eat tonnes of both... i don't eat much chocolate and sweet stuff, only smoke a bit, don't drink too much, am in my mid-20s, do a fair amount of exercise, have a good bmi, but i eat so much butter and cheese i'm convinced it's going to give me a heart attack. is it?
It's all about cholesterol - chances are your excercise is getting rid of it, but have it checked out; some people get high cholesterol just because... they do, regardless of meat & dairy intake (kidney function or something?).

Just keep whipping cream and it will turn to butter; simple.

I think M&S spreadable (in the UK & Ireland) is the only spreadable real butter (ie not a blend of butter and wierd fats/oils/chemicals).

Unsalted butter is usually higher quality - the lack of salt means it can be tasted more clearly so they have to use the higher quality stuff iirc. Buy it and add your own salt!