comics

petergunn

plywood violin
Dear god man, no. It's fucking awful. Practically unreadable IMO.

Rorschach/Dr. Manhattan have raised the bar slightly for before watchmen. 'Secret Service' isn't mindblowing, but still one of the best Millar things Ive read.

i brought 'em to the beach and i enjoyed 'em... it's not deep, but it's neat to see batman worn down and destroyed... Bane's henchmen are corny, but it kept my attention...

i walked by a comic store a few nights ago and saw Rorschach #1 in the window... i'll give it a shot... i like Gibbons art enough to check out Secret Service...

another thing i found while home was my collection of art i had artists draw for me at conventions when i was a kid... most of it is dreck (she-hulk in a bikini!), but i did have this thing moebius drew for me, which still looks amazing:

431430_273636259409667_1462065136_n.jpg

D

droid

Nice. Might even be worth something.

I havent seen my collection in over 10 years. Nothing mind blowing, some Bryan Talbot, Will Simpson, Chris Claremont (!), Jamie Hewlett... most of the 2000ad/deadline type regulars from that time. Would still love to find 'em though.

connect_icut

Knightfall was the absolute end of Batman for me, although there's still been the occasional thing that's caught my interest since then - anything written by Denny O'Neil or the incredible Ann Nocenti is generally worthwhile, though the art is usually horrible.

Just found out that DC is finally doing the three volumes of Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams as affordable paperbacks. Volume 1 is already out. Some of the Bob Haney stories are okay, the earlier ones are awful but the art is great. Can't wait for Volume 2, when O'Neil shows up.

They also just republished the O'Neil/Adams Green Arrow/Green Lantern books, as a single volume with bonus materials. Essential stuff. Dated in a good way.

tumblr_m14tx87Z641r6h6xgo1_500.jpg

Oh and that Moebius thing is sweet. Is there anywhere I can download The Airtight Garage in English?

petergunn

plywood violin
Knightfall was the absolute end of Batman for me, although there's still been the occasional thing that's caught my interest since then - anything written by Denny O'Neil or the incredible Ann Nocenti is generally worthwhile, though the art is usually horrible.

Just found out that DC is finally doing the three volumes of Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams as affordable paperbacks. Volume 1 is already out. Some of the Bob Haney stories are okay, the earlier ones are awful but the art is great. Can't wait for Volume 2, when O'Neil shows up.

They also just republished the O'Neil/Adams Green Arrow/Green Lantern books, as a single volume with bonus materials. Essential stuff. Dated in a good way.

tumblr_m14tx87Z641r6h6xgo1_500.jpg

Oh and that Moebius thing is sweet. Is there anywhere I can download The Airtight Garage in English?

i imagine they are the same Neal Adams Batman books that came out as hardcovers a few years back? i read the first one... yes, stories mostly that schlocky 60's batman, but art is cool... just wish they hadn't retouched and recolored it... :(

connect_icut

i imagine they are the same Neal Adams Batman books that came out as hardcovers a few years back? i read the first one... yes, stories mostly that schlocky 60's batman, but art is cool... just wish they hadn't retouched and recolored it... :(

Yes, they cost $50 a pop when they came out. Now they're half that. Not sure about UK prices.

Volumes two and three should be a lot better both in terms of art and stories.

The re-colouring gets on my nerves too. DC does that to all the 70s stuff it reprints, I think. But maybe there's some technical/logistical reason they don't have access to the original coloured pages? Still they could re-do it in the original style.

nochexxx

harco pronting
i don't know to much about comics or comix, so this thread is pure gold to me.

decided to cop this cos petegunn told me to. not sure if it's the best place to start but?
oh, and it's released this week!

61FBHPPt9RL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

also, found this riveting Alan Moore docu.

connect_icut

Just discovered the existence of online (non eBay) comics retailers and ordered a bunch of stuff, including all four issues of Moebius's Airtight Garage and the bits I'm missing of John Byrne's Man of Steel mini series. Experiencing some buyers remorse but the prices were pretty good. I've seen the collected version of The Airtight Garage listed for $300!

benw

has anyone got any good (re)-starting points for collections to buy? not sure if that's the right word i haven't read any comics for maybe 8 years and i've never owned any but i used to take out the larger collected versions of marvel stuff from me local library.... so yeah any suggestions for good collections to get back into it with would be great. my favourites were x-men, spawn, batman, green lantern etc etc.

D

droid

There is a massive gulf in quality between those Batman (which are superb) and the other two titles. Id suggest you cancel them, quick!

You have read Watchmen I assume? Marshall law?

D

droid

Oh, If youre into marginally intelligent mindless entertainment, you could check out Mark Millar (Secret Service, Marvel 1985, Nemesis, Supercrooks, Superior), of Garth Ennis (Punisher max, Chronicles of wormwood, The Boys)...

benw

There is a massive gulf in quality between those Batman (which are superb) and the other two titles. Id suggest you cancel them, quick!

You have read Watchmen I assume? Marshall law?

Ach! disaster.... Are there other spawn / x men titles you'd recommend over them? Yep reread Watchmen a year or so ago.

never read marshall law i dont think, altho it does ring a bell. maybe ill sub that in!

thanks for your help droid, im very much in the dark here so all help is appreciated.

D

droid

TBH, I hate Spawn and Image in general, so no help there.

For nostalgia's sake I got a ton of 'X men - doomsday saga' type things from the library a couple of years back and found them almost repulsively bad. The only X men Ive even vaguely enjoyed in years was 'old man logan' by millar, and even that was a bit pants.

Basically, I think US superhero comics from the mid-70's > mid 90's (and beyond) are pretty much one of the low points of art/entertainment in human history (with obvious exceptions and despite the fact that I loved them as a child).

connect_icut

has anyone got any good (re)-starting points for collections to buy? not sure if that's the right word i haven't read any comics for maybe 8 years and i've never owned any but i used to take out the larger collected versions of marvel stuff from me local library.... so yeah any suggestions for good collections to get back into it with would be great. my favourites were x-men, spawn, batman, green lantern etc etc.

Here's a list I posted here ages ago but it's more indie/less superhero-focoused:

Alison Bechdel - Fun Home
Daniel Clowes - Ghost World
Dame Darcy - Meatcake Compendium
Will Eisner - A Contract with God
Jaime Henandez - Locas (the big one)
Kevin Huizenga - Curses
Frank Miller - Ronin
Alan Moore - Promethea (all of the volumes)
Richard Sala - The Chuckling Whatsit
Seth - It's a Good Life if You Don't Weaken
Jaques Tardi - It Was the War of the Trenches
Chris Ware - Jimmy Corrigan

To that I'd add The Incal and Corto Maltese.

For superhero stuff, I'd go for anything Denny O'Neil wrote for DC ever - especially the Batman stuff and Green Lantern/Green Arrow stuff with Neal Adams.

petergunn

plywood violin
Ach! disaster.... Are there other spawn / x men titles you'd recommend over them? Yep reread Watchmen a year or so ago.

never read marshall law i dont think, altho it does ring a bell. maybe ill sub that in!

thanks for your help droid, im very much in the dark here so all help is appreciated.

if you liked Batman Year 1, def read the Daredevil: Born Again stuff by the same creative team... and if you liked the Dark Knight Returns, Miller did another 3 book miniseries of that stuff around 2002... it's pretty good...

if you are into the X-Men and haven't read Uncanny X-men 95-150, you need to... the meat of those issues are all the Chris Claremont/John Byrne stuff and it's basically the reason the X-Men are popular... there have been plenty of reprints/collections of it...

this is nice chunk right here:

petergunn

plywood violin
i don't know to much about comics or comix, so this thread is pure gold to me.

decided to cop this cos petegunn told me to. not sure if it's the best place to start but?
oh, and it's released this week!

61FBHPPt9RL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

didja like it? is it in color? the art in that is some of the best of the trippy 70's superhero stuff and it would be a shame not to see the full color...

if you dug it, I would say check out Starlin's Life and Death of Captain Marvel, too... as well as the Infinity Gauntlet...

after those 3 books, you will be all Thanos'd out and I suppose ready for the next Avengers movie...

connect_icut

Born Again is great but my favourite Miller book might be Ronin. All the Batman stuff he did after Year One and The Dark Knight Returns is unreadable shite, iMHbCO.

Jim Starlin's run on Batman in the late 80s was pretty good. A Death in the Family was a bit contrived but the stuff leading up to it was fantastic. He always seemed like a bit of a reactionary, though.

tumblr_m9un6jriBh1qi9c42o1_500.jpg

Really want to read as much of the Claremont(/Byrne) Uncanny X-Men as I can. My Marvel knowledge is quite pitiful. Byrne did a really nice Batman mini-series, BTW. I think it was called The Many Deaths of the Batman.