Did he do it?

• Yes

Votes: 25 92.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

crackerjack

Well colour us shocked!

Seriously how does it take five or six years from murder to court conviction in a case like this? Is the American legal system really that fucked?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"the parallels that could be drawn between spector and meek are uncanny."
Yeah, just took PS a bit longer to finally go postal. According to this book I read (The Legend I think it was called) Phil Spector actually contacted Joe Meek suggesting that they work together but Meek refused because he was afraid that Spector would steal his secrets - but it looks as though Spector managed to figure it all out, including how to shoot someone in the head, without Meek's help.

"Seriously how does it take five or six years from murder to court conviction in a case like this? Is the American legal system really that fucked?"
I didn't even realise that the retrial had started. I thought that he'd just quietly got away it.

swears

preppy-kei
I heard that he regularly liked to threaten people with a gun, pulling one on someone over even a petty minor quibble. Dunno how true this is, though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm pretty sure that he was supposed to have pulled a gun on The Ramones (and kept Ronnie Spector confined to the house threatening to kill her if she left him). Strangely enough didn't Joe Meek also pull guns on people in the studio when they couldn't reproduce his ideas properly? Hardly surprising because he was tone deaf and when he hummed his idea it didn't sound anything like what he wanted it to sound - imagine how scary that would be, trying to second guess a lunatic speed freak as he waved a gun in your face. Reminds me of that bit in the Simpsons where Burns orders Smithers at gunpoint to get into a toy plane that's about six inches long.
Actually, in the interest of fairness, I should point out that googling The Ramones story brings up a lot of things saying how it isn't true.

crackerjack

I heard that he regularly liked to threaten people with a gun, pulling one on someone over even a petty minor quibble. Dunno how true this is, though.

That's been public knowledge for a long long time - decades before the shooting. You can assume it's totally true

nochexxx

harco pronting
phil2009spector1.jpg

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I like his wall of sound etc but having listened to the vast majority of the lyrics from his songs, and to his ex-wife's tales, I can't say I'm surprised that this (very misogynistic) guy eventually killed a woman.

Benny Bunter

I read Ronnie Spector's autobiography and she said that Phil used to make her sit an inflatable Phil Spector in the car next to her when she went out on her own!

STN

sou'wester
I like his wall of sound etc but having listened to the vast majority of the lyrics from his songs, and to his ex-wife's tales, I can't say I'm surprised that this (very misogynistic) guy eventually killed a woman.

He Hit Me and it Felt Like a Kiss. Er...

Edit: silly me, this was apparently written by someone else, and intended as a protest song, which eluded me. I haven't heard it for years.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"He Hit Me and it Felt Like a Kiss. Er..."
Not his words though, Carol King wrote that.
Anyone heard that Dance The Screw tune? Weird.

Edit: D'oh you've edited your thing and made me look stupid.