The Guardian Angels

martin

----
Whatever happened to them? I used to enjoy watching them patrolling Euston and Kings Cross in their berets and combats. Now of course we've got community support officers, who are a shambles - the ones in Finsbury Park just sit on their fat fucking arses in kebab shops all day, pulling pseudo-rank to try and score a discount on their ratburgers. But the Angels - they had a bit of class, you know? Did they ever do a promotional rap single or video?

IdleRich

IdleRich
No idea what happened to Guardian Angels but in Hackney we have these people who call themselves Street Pastors or something. If I remember rightly they wander round in blue puffer jackets and bother people minding their own business. On the one time that they might have been useful (my friend got his nose broken by someone jumping him in a club) they seemed more determined to blame some black kids with hoods on who were hanging around than listen to me saying what had actually happened.

martin

----
Oh yeah - I think I saw something about that lot on TV. Do they do street ministries with rapping in front of adventure playgrounds and the like?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Do they do street ministries with rapping in front of adventure playgrounds and the like?"
Never seen it but it wouldn't surprise me. I've only seen 'em late at night around Kingsland Road and they just come up to you and introduce themselves and say some stuff about what they are doing (walking around pretending to be God's Vigilantes essentially). Haven't seen this lot for a while either now I come to think of it.

swears

preppy-kei
I remember seeing something about them on TV when I was little. Weren't they hampered by legal difficulties? Like they couldn't actually do anything if it involved physical contact with someone.

STN

sou'wester
The Guardian Angels still get the odd write-up in magazines like FHM and GQ. I think the guy who headed the New York chapter now gives self-defence classes.

I quite liked them. They made the world seem a bit more like 2000AD/The Warriors.

martin

----
I remember seeing something about them on TV when I was little. Weren't they hampered by legal difficulties? Like they couldn't actually do anything if it involved physical contact with someone.

It was all rather odd, they'd been this NYC thing since the early 80s and I think they had some sort of approval from the mayor to kick ass over there. So it was like having this really loud American concept suddenly drop into Britain, and the whole thing just came across as surreal and overblown. I seem to remember one chief brass at the Met complaining that they were a nuisance and that he didn't want vigilantes patrolling the underground (which had hardly any CCTV across the network, back then). But I think they were allowed to make citizens' arrests (mind you, technically, so is anyone)

Shelter were also up in arms because apparently a couple of them had harrassed some homeless kids and told them to move on from their spot. But mainly, what seemed to happen was 3 or 4 would walk around in a bunch looking self-important, and some drunk kid on the last tube home would shout "Wankers!" at them before he jumped off. I think the muggers were all too busy pissing themselves with laughter when they encountered the Angels, so maybe they did help cut crime a bit.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I liked the Guardian Angels, knew a coupla guys in them who were the most anti-police people I knew, who signed up to not let the police have all the official power in the streets, which I thought admirable.

I saw one maybe last year at Kilburn High Road tube station and ran up to him, beaming, being like "I didn't know you guys were still around" and he gave me the whole, "we're still here, brother, still fighting for peace" speech like a fucking Marvel superhero and I walked away feeling about 7 years old, grinning and skipping like I'd just met Grandmaster Flash. Long live the Angels man.

mos dan

fact music
there's a great chapter of the even greater PJ O'Rourke book Parliament of Whores devoted to the Guardian Angels in NYC circa 1988 or so - I highly recommend it!

hint

party record with a siren
You can always bet, there'll be footsteps,
Coming your way,
Or a dude who wants to get a cigarette,
Or make a play,
But it's alright,
It's alright,
Don't have to worry no more

Last edited: