Death Comes Ripping

john eden

male pale and stale
Not for ages, but the best one I went to was Mr Sebastian's - loadsa wacky pierced and tattooed characters at that one and some proper camp performance in the ceremony. Proper send-off.

For reasons which elude me I also ended up going to the funeral procession of Albert Meltzer, the London anarchist. It was a pretty big procession through south london with his coffin in a horse drawn cart. Quite awesomely there was actual political sectarianism in the actual procession with various people forcefully ignoring each other. It's what he would have wanted. There wasn't enough room in the chapel for everyone so we fucked off and had a coffee whilst various people milled about.

martin

----
Quite awesomely there was actual political sectarianism in the actual procession with various people forcefully ignoring each other.

It's true, isn't it? They couldn't hold a 'Don't Attack Iran' vegan BBQ without a schism developing in the kitchen.

john eden

male pale and stale
It's true, isn't it? They couldn't hold a 'Don't Attack Iran' vegan BBQ without a schism developing in the kitchen.

These sort of things are inevitable during a downturn in the class struggle.

How about funerals you have been to anyway?

martin

----
These sort of things are inevitable during a downturn in the class struggle.

How about funerals you have been to anyway?

My dad's one was great. We had the Irish tricolour draped over the coffin and the bloke at the organ burst into an impromptu rendition of 'Danny Boy', which was half-touching, half-ludicrous. I'm vaguely ashamed to say I nearly wet myself laughing while reading a tribute I'd written, I had to write my sister's as well, the lazy cow...he always used to bang on about how he didn't want to be buried on British soil, so we had him cremated and flew the ashes back to Sligo. The Irish priest was a convicted paedophile (I'm not making this up) who physically couldn't say the 'This is my body...' part of the mass, he just stuttered and wheezed at that point. My cousin was saying, "Oh, he's never been able to get through that part since the arrest", like it was nothing.

My uncle's funeral was hilarious, we had an open casket wake, and some old biddy came through and said, "Ah, sure..he looks just like himself!". When another nosey old bag said, in a reassuring tone, "He's happier now than he's ever been," I just burst out laughing.

I went to a good one in 1989, someone's mum had died of DVT, and there was this absolutely stunning Italian girl hanging around the cemetery in a white dress, black hat and high heels, smoking. I couldn't stop staring at her, I was completely entranced. I think that's when I started to seriously suss there was something 'not right' about getting turned on by femmes fatales in graveyards, but it felt good, y'know?

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

i thought this thread was going to be about the Misfits.

in my most misguided hours, i still harbour vague ambitions to get one of those ridiculous 'reverse mullet' misfits haircuts.

a friend of mine once saw jerry only from the misfits outside a gig and decided to tickle him, to see what would happen.

S

simon silverdollar

ah of course- that's what a devilock is! like the song? i always wondered about that...

jerry was surprisingly gracious about it i think.

nomos

Administrator
at one of my grandpas' funerals we had to stand in front of the open casket and receive well wishers or whatever they're called. one old russian woman stopped in front of my cousin and i and gave us this look of complete disdain, shaking her head. we'd never seen her before in our lives. rounds of vodka and smoked fush took the edge off, then made me sick.

i went to a terrible one where the casket - occupied - was being stored in the cloak room until the main event. i think i kept my coat.

Last edited: