The Record Industry's Decline

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
sure i agree with you that mastering and cutting is cheaper. i was trying to refer to the "just cos it's vinyl doesn't mean it's any cop" statement, because some labels hold out on mastering and test pressing costs, which can sometimes produce a bad sounding pressing.

You'd have to be a complete douche bag to try and making a false saving at this point, you should be shot or made to swallow your records whole ;)

nochexxx

harco pronting
You'd have to be a complete douche bag to try and making a false saving at this point, you should be shot or made to swallow your records whole ;)

i do think that test pressings can come across as being a bit of a con though. i don't get this minimum of 10 copies business?

i personally have yet to have any bad test pressings come back, so i can understand some why labels would get hacked off with this extra cost.

as for mastering i wish i had the knowledge to do this myself.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
i do think that test pressings can come across as being a bit of a con though. i don't get this minimum of 10 copies business?

Simple, it's not worth setting the machine up for less and it also gives you enough machine/pressing coverage to test the function of your plates. Anyone who bitches at £40 at this point is an idiot.

i personally have yet to have any bad test pressings come back, so i can understand some why labels would get hacked off with this extra cost.

If you take the risk you deserve everything you get IMHO

as for mastering i wish i had the knowledge to do this myself.

Why tho, takes years and you need to have a natural talent for it - leave it to those who can and get on with what you do best, unless you want to spend two years learning to use a lathe.

Last edited:

nochexxx

harco pronting
Simple, it's not worth setting the machine up for less and it also gives you enough machine/pressing coverage to test the function of your plates. Anyone who bitches at £40 at this point is an idiot.

I suppose we should really be having this discussion on the vinyl pressing thread. :cool:

Thanks for clearing this up, I did wonder whether there was some financial reason for pressing a minimum of 10 TP’s.

If you take the risk you deserve everything you get IMHO.

I know someone who as pressed a fair few records and never gets TP’s and has yet to have any issues (god forbid if one day he does, mind you) but I can’t help but think, idiot or not I admire his gambling sprit!

Why tho, takes years and you need to have a natural talent for it - leave it to those who can and get on with what you do best, unless you want to spend two years learning to use a lathe.

Cause I’m a control freak who would love to get more freaky with mastering, that is if I had all the gear and like you say the ‘know how’, which I appreciate takes time and skill. I am dreaming of course. i always refer back to an artist like COH who used their mastering skills to transform their work on a contained plate

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
I suppose we should really be having this discussion on the vinyl pressing thread. :cool:

Thanks for clearing this up, I did wonder whether there was some financial reason for pressing a minimum of 10 TP’s.

I know someone who as pressed a fair few records and never gets TP’s and has yet to have any issues (god forbid if one day he does, mind you) but I can’t help but think, idiot or not I admire his gambling sprit!

It's a massive and pretty stupid gamble IMHO, there's some many different process to go through from cutting the laquers that the chance of something happening sooner or later is cock on and your friend will be stuck will £800+ worth of useless record.

Cause I’m a control freak who would love to get more freaky with mastering, that is if I had all the gear and like you say the ‘know how’, which I appreciate takes time and skill. I am dreaming of course. i always refer back to an artist like COH who used their mastering skills to transform their work on a contained plate

I've no idea who COH is but I do know mastering is an art like no other - I leave it to those who can because most people can't and get on with the music.

BareBones

wheezy
Not sure if the other majors are guilty of doing this too, but i've heard from a reliable source that EMI bigwigs, at the end of a financial year, used to press up a hundred thousand extra copies of a major release (eg Coldplay). This would push up their 'projected earnings' and thus get them a massive bonus, after receiving which they'd just scrap all of the extra copies, obviously at much expense to the company.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Not sure if the other majors are guilty of doing this too, but i've heard from a reliable source that EMI bigwigs, at the end of a financial year, used to press up a hundred thousand extra copies of a major release (eg Coldplay). This would push up their 'projected earnings' and thus get them a massive bonus, after receiving which they'd just scrap all of the extra copies, obviously at much expense to the company.

Rubbish, it would never get signed off in the first place.

BareBones

wheezy
i didn't meant they got paid for pressing records - they get paid a bonus on projected sales. So if you press up another 100,000 units then that's another projected 100,000 sales for them to claim a bonus from. And if it's the label heads etc doing it, they weren't really accountable to anyone... not at EMI they weren't anyway. They certainly didn't need sign-off from lawyers and accountants for shit.

anyway, not really important.

this is much worse news: vinyl sales down 60% apparently...
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3ia94437f59a5754ca9a54f42d13abeeac

mms

sometimes
i didn't meant they got paid for pressing records - they get paid a bonus on projected sales. So if you press up another 100,000 units then that's another projected 100,000 sales for them to claim a bonus from. And if it's the label heads etc doing it, they weren't really accountable to anyone... not at EMI they weren't anyway. They certainly didn't need sign-off from lawyers and accountants for shit.

that would make sense, although a bonus based on a projected sale, esp if you're pressing amounts to that projected sale and giving bonuses on it is of course really fucking stupid accounting, should be based on scanned sales etc.

mms

sometimes
no denying that... EMI is in such bad shape now just as much because of terrible management over the last 10 years as it is because of the general fragile state of the industry.

thats true of alot of the businesses that have gone down, or are fading anyway.
sure it's tough as hell out there but some things are doing well.