'Canonical'-type shit you just don't get

Randy Watson

Harmarplatz, I agree with you in parts and I take your point about the times being receptive to him. Certainly, If he had been any earlier he wouldn't have got a booking.

I do think his influence continues to be felt. I don't think much of post-rock would exist without Electric Ladyland f'rinstance and Kraut-rock would have been a different thing altogether.

I also take your point about the importance of what is being expressed.

And I've enjoyed the exchange :)

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Randy Watson said:
Harmarplatz, I agree with you in parts and I take your point about the times being receptive to him. Certainly, If he had been any earlier he wouldn't have got a booking.

I do think his influence continues to be felt. I don't think much of post-rock would exist without Electric Ladyland f'rinstance and Kraut-rock would have been a different thing altogether.
Hmm, I'm sure post rock would exist, but, like kraut, it would proabably be quite different - well obviously, post rock being highly influenced by kraut.

It's an interesting problem, actually. A lot of the classical music I love would be very different if Beethovens symphonies didn't exist, but I nevertheless have a hard time listening to them. And the question then is... how would it be different, would it be better or worse? How many supposed geniuses could disappear without the history of music getting dull and stale - would others take their place? I think some innovations would more or less have to happen at one time or another. The technical innovation of Schönberg could have been done by someone else (if I remember correctly, he even said that someone had to do it). But I don't think anyone could take the place of, say, Bach, his genius (and if anyone could be called that, I'd say him) being one of expression rather than revolution.

I really just wanted to respond to Martin saying:
>But surely 'the canon' is a complete fabrication, as it's an arbitrary signifier that undergoes constant >flux...oh fuck me, I nearly did a sensible post! Er, imagine Parminder Nagra all gothed out!

Oh my god, Parminder Nagra all gothed out. Oh jesus. I think I would just curl up on the ground and just cry and cry and cry if I saw that. I would cry because she wasn't getting gothed out *for me*. Why is she so unacceptably and unfairly hot.

I mean. Uhhhhhh. Right music. I really just wanted to respond to that part, but I actually agree with a lot of the hatedown.

I'm surprised to see so many of the same choices I would have listed. I know that if I had been there, I would probably understand what the Beatles were changing in some fundamental way, but beyond their historical importance of having been apparently way popular, I totally don't get it. Their songs are just sort of averagely catchy or vaguely weird. Did they really freak the squares a lot or something? Or was it more that the squares bought in to their melodies? Or what?

Then again on the historical moment tip, I can only imagine trying to explain some circa 96 happy hardcore track to my grandkids. "No, but I mean, when you were there in the room and everyone was like yelling and jumping with pacifiers ... ohhh where's my walker." So the Beatles are a relatively easy sell, but like a heartening number of people here, I totally don't get it. Ahh forget understanding -- fire at will.

The sex pistols are, like the beatles, something I can only understand as being the largest media icon for a specific moment in time. I really don't think their music is great at all, but I know that my desire to go back in time and beat them up is probably just because they're *The Sex Pistols*, but so many of the other canonical (at least in my geographical region) punk bands that are grouped right below and after them are just absolutely talentless to me as well -- the Exploited still have legions of people walking around wearing their t-shirts. WHY? I know I know, I'm letting my feelings about the decades-long fashion/pose militancy of punk sway me. And these people tend towards the cluster of thoughts where marketing and selling out are bad, the underground and punkness in general are good ... so why do they deify the sex pistols? I thought the whole joke of the sex pistols was that it was such a brutally clever marketing maneuver, which I can understand and appreciate. But they're untouchable. I could only understand it if the people who earnestly bought sex pistols records were Vivienne Westwood collectors.

Big ups to the Elvis Costello antivote, too. I've known so many people who revere him as a god and have never heard a single song I wanted to hear again. I think I just deep down inside miss something required to get excited about a lot of straight up rawk music. I admit that. But jesus, fuck Elvis Costello.

You know who really upsets me, though? Lenny fucking Kravitz. I don't know if he's part of the more general cultural canon now, but I feel like it's pretty much a done deal that he will be in the near future. I've never understood it, and i mean .... god, fuck your stupid hair, your stupid jeans, your stupid abs, fuck your wanky guitar playing, fuck guitarists in general, fuck your sunglasses, fuck your songs that I am bombarded by in stores and the radio and advertisements for moisturizer. Die. Fall out of a window, land on your arms, stop making music. If I felt like his music at all overshadowed his general lenny kravitz visual identity I could cut him some slack as just being a really generic example of boring music made for shopping malls and dentist offices. Gwen Stefani annoys me in the same way. Is it their fault magazines follow them around and oversaturate the world with them? Who cares.

Simon: You're right in your general assesment about why people do this, but hate is fun. Hate and effigies are entertainment. COME ON LADS, LET'S KEEP DRINKING AND BURN MILES DAVIS AND THE STOOGES NEXT. HAW HAW HAW HAW.

p.s. A tangent -- what do you call a sort of vaguely related phenomenon where you don't even really like the music you listen to anymore? Like, I've been listening to music I'm too old for the last month, really kind of dumb metalcore bands and hip hop like the Game. I sort of enjoy it, but I think I'm starting to hate all music and I don't respect any of the music I listen to. What should I do except drink too much because that's only sort of been working.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
descending_sort said:
p.s. A tangent -- what do you call a sort of vaguely related phenomenon where you don't even really like the music you listen to anymore? Like, I've been listening to music I'm too old for the last month, really kind of dumb metalcore bands and hip hop like the Game. I sort of enjoy it, but I think I'm starting to hate all music and I don't respect any of the music I listen to. What should I do except drink too much because that's only sort of been working.
throw out/sell all of the music that's making you unhappy immediately

your life will be immeasurably improved.

why do you hate it and have no respect for it? do you think it doesn't try hard enough? (i often get that)

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
replies to previous posts

Rather late to this - in no special order and I could not possibly keep track of who said what.
From the barrell.
"NRC" = not real canon fodder" as I see it:
that is no-one would seriously put them in a canon would they?

I reckon age might be important here, I am in my early fourties.

Boards of Canada (NRC):
one of the few new electronic acts worth listening to. Not Eno, not Biosphere, but good (I prefer BoC over Autehcre).

REM - first album was good when it came. Still have Murmur on tape, together with some Wall Of Vodoo.

New Order - love them. Lyrics are featherweight compared to Joy Division, but still ...

Bob Dylan - spot on (good songs though: "All Along the Watchtower" (XTC/Hendrix) ...
I understand why people like him, I just hate his delivery.

Michael Jackson: "Off the Wall" stands proudly in my record collection and has done so since it came out. It will stand there with La Ross' "Diana", EW&F and the Jackson 5 from that area. But that was it - I didn't like "Thriller" ...
Courtcase starts Monday.

Hendrix - I like him. Vini Reilly (my own personal guitar hero) played "Voodoo Chile" last year on a gig. Vini apoligised (to us? to Jimi?) for his version (nothing to apologise for Mr Reilly), so I went back and checked my very small (two albums) Jimi collection. Nothing wrong with those.

Rolling Stones. Hallelujah! YES. Awful! (I love The Who though).

Kraftwerk - well. One of the three acts which I reckon has shaped me (add the Pistols and before that Alice Cooper). I love them - (elitist mode here) specially when hearing them in German.

Phil Collins (Seriously NRC!) - "In the air tonight", agree on that one song. It is a good pop song. A little H-Bomb for whoever asked for it (a little thing I wrote in June last year):

"I don’t own a single Phil Collins record, but watching the John Martyn programme on BBC4 a couple of weeks ago and reading a recent interview with John I am reminded of how Phil features on classics like Another Green World and Music For Films. John says "Phil is the hardest working man I ever knew. We just get on very well. The guy is actually very talented. I don’t know why people are so jealous of his success. What is uncool about that?" (Record Collector 298).

John Martyn, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp (I quite like "Exposure"), John Cale and even Thin Lizzy; it’s quite a list (most from the tail end of the ’70s though). Plus Phil gave us "that moment" in Miami Vice.

Writing about Phil Collins and Miami Vice: how uncool is that? Coolness and credibility — don’t care, won’t know, too old. "

> i'll certainly second neil young - . i don't understand what all the fuss is about. at all.

oh dear. I love the fucker. I hate Dylan, but Young ... One of the very few of the old guard who bigs up punk/John Lydon when punk is more or less happening ("Hey Hey, My My", Bill Nelson wrote a similar song). The other thing with Neil is that he _tries_ to do new things. Even if he sometimes falls on his (electronic?) arse.

Pink Floyd - : early stuff with Syd is great. I adore "Wish You Were Here" and I like "Dark Side of The Moon" (after watching the documentary yesterday on the beeb I like it even more, Alan Parsons brought out shit himself but he did a good job with DotM).

> so influential that without their existence huge chunks of their respective genres would never have happened?

Duran Duran (NRC) - and to a lesser degree Gary Numan.
But then I come from the Ultravox!/John Foxx camp (bought "Ha!Ha!Ha!" in 78).
I have to laugh when I see people on telly telling me how great these were or that "New Order" or "Bowie" invented electronic music (I am not claiming that Ultravox! created electronic music, just that Bowie wasn't the first one to do electronic music or even "electronica". Bowie was the great vacuum-cleaning chameleon and we all loved him for it. But the rock press (to their honour) dug out his influences pretty good at the time (late seventies/early 80s).

> Is the canon in flux?

Yes. Always. I got a top 100 list from the NME around 1982 somewhere (quite a good list compiled but some of the best writers in the business, but I would say that given my age). But "Marquee Moon" is in there already (if I remember correctly and rightly so). A great record, but Television as a "live" experience was not much when I saw them a couple of years ago. See also the inclusion of a band like Coldplay (Codplay) on recent top 100 lists (I did see Coldplay on one of these?).

Radiohead - - spot on. I had "OK computer" for five years. I could see what they were trying to do, but they don't touch me at all.

Costello - - OK and brave (C&W record) for four years or so.
Still brave, but I just don't care about his output anymore. The two great pop albums from that period (78ish) is not Costello, but "Parallell Lines"/Blondie and "Jesus of Cool"/Nick Lowe.

Sex Pistols - - "you had to be there" (or be at the right age anyway). I will never forget hearing "God Save the Queen" coming out of the speakers of my dads stereo. I was around fourteen at the time, staying with my dad for the summer. And I could not BELIEVE what came out of the speakers. Did I hear THAT? This was electric tentangles tapping directly into my brain. Hitting it. Telling me there was more to life than Alice Cooper and Steve Harley. It was actually "life changing". It totally changed my perception of what music could be. I taped all these radio shows on my dads 8-track. I played that track over and over that summer, taped whatever punk I could find on the radio and bought the first punk album I could find (it took ages, but eventually a sampler simply called "New Wave" with Ramones, Talking Heads, Little Bob Story, Patti Smith ("Piss Factory" - still amazing, some of Patti's stuff has aged - but someone could do a grime version of "Piss Factory") etc arrived in the local record shop (where I would later get a part-time job, one of the reasons I know a bit about this period). You might be right on the "moment of time stuff". The album was heavily critisized when it came out (too many singles on the album - you were not supposed to do that). But looking back now NMTB is "the bollocks". I never owned a copy at the time though (I was the local guy having The Damned's first). One album+singles, forget all that shit which came afterwards in the name of "Sex Pistols").

Marley - agree. But why do I like Steel Pulse and Linton Kwesi Johnson?

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
new entries to not so canonical after all

Can I just add some other ones:

Blur

Oasis

Kiss (often quoted by the HM people)

Janis Joplin - does not "touch" me at all. Supposed to be "full of soul" and all that. Billie Holiday was soul -
Janis was just pants.

Madonna- trying the Bowie-trick of
keeping the ears to the ground and
anticipating new trends before they go mainstream. Bowie was a massive talent, Madge isn't.
(it's like comparing Cruyff to Beckham, take away the nice packaging and see what you get:
with Cruyff and Bowie just greatness, with Beckham and Madge simply fame and limited talent).

Which will be first with a "grime" track. Kylie or Madonna?

John Lennon? Please. "Imagine" is pure pap for rich people. I have nothing against the Beatles though.

Queen.

----

newer stuff - none of them would be in anyones "canon" (surely?)
Interpol (NRC) - sometimes I feel I am the only person on the planet speaking againts these guys.
I think it might be the fact that JD is always mentioned when the hacks write about them (they are the new Psychedelic Furs to me if anything).
I think they are merely allright.
That I rate the boys in The Bravery, Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand (and even The Killers) ahead of them is not "normal" is it?
It might be Radiohead all over again for me on Interpol. I don't mind being the odd one out, though.

Marilyn Manson
Peaches
Rammstein
Coldplay
Kings of Leon
Scissor Sisters - Paul Morley doing some serious a**e-licking when he had them on radio. No wonder with his ZTT-background.Official: but I do/did like Propaganda.

-----

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
the B-side: greatness almost never mentioned

The flipside of the canonical debate are bands like The Only Ones and Tuxedomoon- I think they are magical, yet they hardly ever make any sort of lists.

Then bands which never get mentioned because of geographical origin:

Holy Toy (Norway/Poland) - Their first album "Warzawa" is a milestone. Not for the influence it made around the world, just because it is so good (although I do think it was album of the week in Sounds?). My personal 2nd best "post-punk" band after Joy Division.

Lustans Lakejer (Sweden) - elegant Swedish tossers. But a brilliant marriage of youth, music, lyrics, image. Heads above any other band from "The New Romantic" period (I do not count "Tin Drum"/Japan as new romantic). Their slogan tellingly read "Rio-Brussel-Zurich-Haag" - no London, no New York, no Tokyo. I might do a write-up on them and post some MP3 samples if I ever get in the spirit. Same with Holy Toy.

Kat Onoma's "Billy The Kid" . A French-band with a concept album about Billy the Kid?
"Haha - have you gone off your rockers, Sir? "
No I haven't - KO worked in the lambshop a few years before Lambchop and I still think this album is better than anything I've heard with Lambchop. Listening to one song on BtKid does not make sense, it's like a suite (uha - concept album alert). I never bought any other of their other albums though (can someone fill me in?). Just think this one here is close to perfect.

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
so why do they deify the sex pistols? I thought the whole joke of the sex pistols was that it was such a brutally clever marketing maneuver, which I can understand and appreciate. But they're untouchable. I could only understand it if the people who earnestly bought sex pistols records were Vivienne Westwood collectors.

OK. I'll bite.

This is where you miss for me. BIG TIME.

You believe Malcolm McLaren's version of "the story", not Johnny Lydons.
You think the "point" of the Pistols was Sid's idiocy and idiotic death and
some conceptual art/fashion trick.
You think the Sex Pistols were merely a vehicle for McLaren/Westwood and the Sex shop
and when you hear them you just hear a clever ploy
(get a copy of "Blood on the turntable" shown on BBC Three some months ago).
That's suggesting that people who where going to the raves just went
so they could collect smiley-badges and glow-sticks? That when goths dress up they just
do it for the fashion. Genres and sub-genres are often identified with clothes.

You are asking a big question here - were the Sex Pistols valid? Are they still?

The answer for me is a double resounding YES.
You can't imagine the rush of hearing the Pistols for the first time.
You don't realise that these geezers were full-on and "real".
You see clothes hangers, I hear truly electric music.
There is nothing wrong with wearing avant-gardish/different clothes
and behaving like a peacock or just different; Joy Division got kitted out at Wayne Hemingway's.
It's one of the reasons people create music in the first place:
to be noted, to be heard, to say "fuck you" or "listen up" - very often it goes hand in hand with
what people are wearing. I am not saying that everyone should dress up like Split Enz (look them up) -
I am saying it's OK to be different.
Malcolm McLaren did not write those songs.
Neither did Vivienne Westwood.
Neither did Sid.

I love the Pistols.

---
That you don't like them: it's OK in a very peculiar way ...
In fact the whole point of starting this thread must be
some sort of ping-pong like this.
I know where you are coming from (I have it the same way with the Stones and Dylan and
people think I am truly mad to question these "geniuses") -
so I quote Bjørk for you (on "guitar rock") "That's not a judgement, just my taste".
Unless of course - it is some sort of judgement.

And if you ask the bigger question - does music matter?
To some people it does, to some people it doesn't ("I only really listen to Wogan in the car") - but if
you are on this sub-forum I hope it f--king does.

Last edited:

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood

And what a brilliant tangent it is. I don't know what it is called. Some sort of fatigue, lack of rush - like listening to one of these awful "music for bedwetter" bands (bless Mr Callagher for coming up with the term) - but the thing is you are not listening to Coldplay: you are listening to things you really like or used to like and they just don't sound exciting any more. The sheen has gone off the brass, it's just grime left.

This is what I am feeling now after hearing anything after No Lay's "Unorthadox Daughter" - that
one track just kills all the "competetion". Everything is boring and non-urgent after this turbocharger.
So what did I do - I put on these girls from Scotland playing harp music (two harps and voices): Sileas -
just to get the complete contrast and slow down my brain. Then I was stupid enough to go here ...
(must do a word count and "steal" some of my own output when I wake up).

Slightly related: I bless English cab drivers. I started talking to one yesterday looking 30'ish and how
he probably was into clubbing. He was older than that - the guy used to drink with Siouxsie and Budgie in some Clerkenwell pub (by now The Creatures according to him) and when we discussed Sylvian/Japan he said he still prefered "Gentlemen Take Polaroids" as their best one and how "Nightporter" is just one of those songs.

Another driver told me about watching all these punk bands: Siouxsie, The Damned, X-Ray Spex etc and The Jam in the early days for 50p (I am surprised no one has mentioned them, I won't cause I like them: even "Modern World" which was supposed to be rubbish, very much like Television's "Adventure" another second album you are not "supposed" to like), how his mate dated Robert Smith's girlfriend (at Redhill?) and how rubbish music is nowadays ...

(The tangent of the tangent or full circle actually: the first driver said he recently listened to some of the old stuff and how some of it was awful and gone stale (23 Skidoo), but how some things still sounded fresh: The Plastics, which I gladly admit I haven't heard. A hole. Just like that American band who suddenly was a major influence last year, some sort of American Gang of Four. Just that I have never heard of them. Then again I have friends who have never heard of Kraftwerk ...)

Last edited:

blissblogger

sex pistols

it's not just about the context (although as contexts go you couldn't hope for something more worldhistorical really), the sex pistols best stuff is amazing for two reasons....

1/ the music. i did an interview with jeffrey lohn, one of the guys behind Theoretical Girls, and like a lot of the No Wavers he was very sniffy about punk rock, thought it was all lame, except for the Sex Pistols, he started raving about how the melodies and harmonies and the way the music was put together was on a par with classical music (this guy is a conservatory trained composer by the way) which is something i'd never considered but it really chimed with my feelings since age 15 that this is just exceptional music qua music, just miles ahead of and apart from their peers, with the possible exception of a few moments in x ray spex. the final section of 'bodies' with the backing vocals is almost symphonic... 'submission' is just incredible... the production is brilliant... there is a majesty of sound to it that leaves the clash looking tatty... also worth noting how relatively slow the pistols version of punk was c.f. other groups, and therefore how much more potent and menacing -- it's all about the threeway collision of matlock, jones and rotten, revealing that only rotten did anything even close to as powerful subsequently

2/ the intent. whatever you think of johnny rotten later, at that point in time.... (meaning frozen forever on that vinyl) he is... well there's hardly been anyone before it or since who's been so 'we mean it, man'-y ... it's hard for me to imagine anyone who wouldn't feel scorched by the feeling he puts across in 'anarchy' or 'bodies' or 'belsen' or 'no fun' , and it cuts through the historical context in the same way iggy in 1969-70 or curtis in 79/80 or any great MC you wanna name does, it's just a shout of... i don't know what, and nor does the shouter