Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Most people on DSF seem to be either apathetic or hostile towards funky at the moment. I think it would have to become a lot more bass-heavy generally and 'hardcore' (i.e. drop the cheese/fun) for a large amount of dubstep heads to be attracted to it in a similar way to DNB heads being attracted to dubstep.

@mms: Yeah I agree, it is good that is has moved on. I was just thinking that perhaps the ''140 bass heavy'' definition applies even more now than in 2005/6, when although those two things were crucial, there seemed to me to be a certain mood running through most tunes (would it be fair to say that Burial is grouped in with dubstep rather than garage because of the atmospherics/mood of his tunes?). I dunno, maybe I'm talking shit.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
This is in London right? Ive seen the hipster-vice-magazine crowd go nuts to rusko type dubstep in other places, by dj's who were predominantly playing blog house type stuff (justice etc).

I think that kinda illustrates my point about Rusko being seperate to even the bulk of the Wobble crowd now - getting booked at stuff like YoYo, his tunes getting picked up on by the wider west london mafia (Switch, Herve, Annie Mac etc) and people like Diplo and ATrak - he's become the irony brigades token dubstep DJ pretty quick.
On the flipside it's hard to imagine much of a hipster turn out at say, Sin City or similar

mms

sometimes
Most people on DSF seem to be either apathetic or hostile towards funky at the moment.

good, who wants them anyway, they're too busy defining what dubstep is.

@mms: Yeah I agree, it is good that is has moved on. I was just thinking that perhaps the ''140 bass heavy'' definition applies even more now than in 2005/6, when although those two things were crucial, there seemed to me to be a certain mood running through most tunes (would it be fair to say that Burial is grouped in with dubstep rather than garage because of the atmospherics/mood of his tunes?). I dunno, maybe I'm talking shit.

burials does what he does, i reckon of all the artists called dubstep burials music is the most literal interpretation of the original take on dubstep as dark dubbed out garage.

I think Funky is sometimes pushed as the new refuge for people disillusioned with Dubstep.

I have to disagree. I don't believe anyone is 'pushing', it's merely that ears that were initially open to dubstep & grime may now find the same musical innovation in Funky.

Dubstep seemed to follow the evolution of D'n'B so closely, albeit at an accelerated pace. If Funky does the same, people will be moaning about Wobble Funky in 5 years' time.

Nail on head re. evolution. Unfortunately we seem to have reached redundancy far too quickly.. Wobble Funky? Who knows. Although it's a dirty word now, wobble really isn't the enemy - look at the Goat Stare for one of many examples. Over-reliance and laziness are the ultimate killers.

mms

sometimes
Nail on head re. evolution. Unfortunately we seem to have reached redundancy far too quickly.. Wobble Funky? Who knows. Although it's a dirty word now, wobble really isn't the enemy - look at the Goat Stare for one of many examples. Over-reliance and laziness are the ultimate killers.

its not really the same evolution at all though is it?

dubstep is as we've been discussing at an interesting point with lots of different things going on, 2 out of lots look a bit like drum and bass but there are so many more factors in play, that it's not really even worth the comparison at this point.

hint

party record with a siren
It's interesting for sure.

Let's wait and see if we get a Funky Photek, Half Step Funky etc within the next 5 years. Sometimes these things feel like a race to see who can crowbar in the same old sounds into the new hot tempo, meanwhile Karizma comes out the other side still sounding like Karizma.

mms

sometimes
It's interesting for sure.

Let's wait and see if we get a Funky Photek, Half Step Funky etc within the next 5 years. Sometimes these things feel like a race to see who can crowbar in the same old sounds into the new hot tempo, meanwhile Karizma comes out the other side still sounding like Karizma.

funny you mention photek cos he went back into house..

Tanadan

likes things
I got into dubstep in 2006 and at that time it seemed to have a particular sound/aesthetic/mood to it which unified tunes as different as 'Anti War Dub', 'Request Line' and 'Mud'... minimal elements, sparse melodies, warm/forceful sub bass, a laidback, stoned, slow-mo swing/swagger... actually I can't really put my finger on it without using the word 'vibe' (which I don't really know the meaning of, even while knowing the meaning of). Maybe it IS something to do with mood/attitude, and how that relates to grooves and rhythms? edit: 'seriousness' is a ridiculous word to use here lol

Anyway, I don't really hear the same thing in much of the new stuff (for better or worse), except for in the tunes of a few producers like Quest and Silkie, Mala, RSD... I say 'for better or worse' because I don't really hear it in Joker tunes at all, though Joker is to me one of the best producers in the scene (or, in fact - full stop). Also, in stuff like 'Midnight Oil' I hear that old vibe being carried through in music which is aesthetically very different from the 2006 stuff. And in stuff which sounds extremely similar to 2005/6 stuff (Kryptic Minds springs to mind), I don't really hear/feel it at all. I suppose when you're analysing music you really want to talk about tangible technical details to justify your feelings towards it, but maybe feeling/mood is more important than the standard analysis allows for?

The old stuff was focused I feel - do you know what I mean?

Edit: And yeah, Joker's not at all, he's all about the synth edits and tricksy hi-hat patterns and so on.

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Gemmy, Joker and Guido make instrumental grime, not dubstep.

why do you say that? it's not so black and white for me

grime gets played down when these guys are mentioned though certainly, i agree, but i dont feel like those guys fit any generic compartment

sick boy said:
All I mean is that dubstep seems to be becoming increasingly inclusive. If it continues to do this (clamoring to define itself against the populist wobble stuff by welcoming in increasingly diverse producers) then the term dubstep isn't going to mean much in a short time

i don't know when it ever did really. if it was so exactly sonically defined then all those people on dsforum saying 'muslimgauze and scorn invented dubstep in 1994!' might have a point.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
i don't know when it ever did really. if it was so exactly sonically defined then all those people on dsforum saying 'muslimgauze and scorn invented dubstep in 1994!' might have a point.

god i hate that kinda stuff, its just a coincidence that some tracks by them sound a bit like some (bad) dubstep tracks, i hate this sort of retroactive bollocks, like paul mcartney invented techno etc, you could say equally that luke skywalker invented hardcore cos some luke skywalker/ 2 live crew instrumentals sound like hardcore. but it would be bollocks.

doom

Public Housing
not really the point tho isit? its cool if people can chart their personnel taste thru those kinds of trajectories, but once you've got kids on DSF demanding that Hatcha aknowledge Scorn as an antecendant of Dubstep something has been lost in translation.

mms is 100% right about 'retroactive bollocks' - its an attempt to re-write history, not a malcious or deliberate attempt... but that worries me more.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
no of course you're right, i was just responding to the bit about them sounding like 'bad dubstep'

this has been hashed out on here before though a few times, and also on there, don't think there's a lot to be gained from it.

Last edited: