UFO over easy

online mahjong
probs just parts rearranged in ableton? same with tea leaf dancers. i love how he uses it. great presence as well, very human even on a computer. something you don't get from listening to a recording

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Over the weekend I listened to Youngsta's installment of the Dubstep Allstars series. At the time of its release, I wasn't really into Youngsta's sets because I found them just a little too stark and cold. Looking back from where dubstep currently is at I have grown a newfound appreciation for them - if only as a reminder of a time when dubstep could still retain that "darkness" without relying on overt, noisy aggression, conspicuous drum and bass influences, or sacrificing deep enveloping sub-bass as the tune's structural backbone.

It also reminded me of just how brilliant Digital Mystikz were(/are). Their productions really are masterful and genre-defining. Anyone remember "Neverland"? God damn.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
It also reminded me of just how brilliant Digital Mystikz were(/are). Their productions really are masterful and genre-defining. Anyone remember "Neverland"? God damn.
Yeah, I can't really say I like dubstep, but think DMZ are pretty special.

Picked up that Joker / 2000F split on Hyperdub - the Joker track is heeeeaps like the Junior Boys back when Johnny Dark was in there, I reckon. Not that it's any kind of a rip off, more like parallel evolution. And the 2000F track makes me think of, well, Zapp obviously, but the booming 808s with too much reverb make me think of Chaka Khan's cover of I Feel For You.

Pretty awesome, then.

mms

sometimes
Over the weekend I listened to Youngsta's installment of the Dubstep Allstars series. At the time of its release, I wasn't really into Youngsta's sets because I found them just a little too stark and cold. Looking back from where dubstep currently is at I have grown a newfound appreciation for them - if only as a reminder of a time when dubstep could still retain that "darkness" without relying on overt, noisy aggression, conspicuous drum and bass influences, or sacrificing deep enveloping sub-bass as the tune's structural backbone.

yep darkness being the absence of light, a thing of degree, rather than a kind of ridiculous male version of pmt.

elgato

I just dont know
Mala in particular i think made music that had something very little other music has. trying to express it totally brings out the hippy in me. i don't really think i can express what it is about it that makes it what it is to me

but also Coki and his next levels of oddness, totally, totally bizarre music

and Loefah with his icy precision

Allstars 2 is an amazing cd, Youngsta at that time was something else, D1 and Skream at that point also were incredible

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape

that's funny cos I recently went & listened to all the Digital Mystikz stuff, which I remember being really, really into back then & most of it left me cold...not even that it's not mostly brilliant, just, I dunno...I was especially expecting to really be into Mala's blissed out housier/UKG-ish stuff but no (tho I still absolutely love his refix of Alicia Keys - probably in my top 10 tunes of the new millennium)...I feel like other music has really filled in that place for me in the meantime - a lot of old ambient jungle, the Detroit deep house guys, actual old 2step - a lot of things I missed cos I was too young, that maybe other people were already familiar with & thus that end of DMZ kinda filled that void for them...

on the other hand:

Loefah with his icy precision

I'm still massively into vintage Loefah - rather excited about his new label (I'm a sucker for labels that set out to create their own oeuvre) - I reckon cos his stuff is so junglistic, engineer music you know - it's like listening to 1995 Ed Rush or earlier Photek at his hardest/darkest....

benjybars

village elder.
allstars 2 is the first thing i heard that made me think shit, maybe i shouldn't switch off rinse once all the grime sets have finished.. youngsta was such a badman in those days.

allstars 6 is pretty tasty tho.. deserves more love.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm still massively into vintage Loefah - rather excited about his new label (I'm a sucker for labels that set out to create their own oeuvre) - I reckon cos his stuff is so junglistic, engineer music you know - it's like listening to 1995 Ed Rush or earlier Photek at his hardest/darkest....

Listening to Kryptic Minds' mix they did for MAH right now, and so far so good.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
the odd thing about Allstars 2, which i remember thinking at the time, is that it wasn't that representative of yunx's sets. it was much more emotive and diverse, whereas he was on that D1/Loe halfstep tip - check his FWD live CD...

Client Eastwood

Cyrus still get loads of play from me. Pure eyes down in the dance. Love it, its kinda cacoon like sub and snares that bite hard at the knees making you dip and sway.

benjybars

village elder.
cyrus is massively massively under-rated. seriously.

best dubstep set i've ever seen: Cyrus - DMZ Nov 06... waves upon waves upon layers of sub. so much relentless sub, so meticulously built-up.. fuck me it was good.

Algierstwin

would you guys be able to listen to this youngsta/mala/cyrus/loefah business on your systems at home if you had never heard it out before?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The second tune really sounds like a downtempo DNB tune with that rolling bassline and 2-step beat... although at the start it almost sounds like a burial tune.

Youngsta 2005/6 - toppa.