gek-opel

entered apprentice
The album ain't all that, but Archangel is by far the finest track on there, and undoubtedly amongst the best Burial's produced AND probably the greatest individual single-length moment in recorded music of the last 12 months.

this is some sweet news

HDB008
IKONIKA
A. Please
AA. Simulacrum

12" vinyl
Release Date - 4th Feb '08

One of the most forward thinking tunes in ages on the most forward thinking label around.

Benny Bunter

this is some sweet news

HDB008
IKONIKA
A. Please
AA. Simulacrum

12" vinyl
Release Date - 4th Feb '08

One of the most forward thinking tunes in ages on the most forward thinking label around.

What happened to King Midas Sound's 'Cool Out', with the burial mix on the flip? Thats listed as HDB008 on their website. Has this already come out, or has it been put back or what?

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I do agree that the album's not all that (though that didn't stop me buying it twice!) - give me the caspa and rusko mix cd any day - but even if he forgot to turn the treble up, it's just great that burial is THERE.

bassnation

the abyss
The album ain't all that, but Archangel is by far the finest track on there, and undoubtedly amongst the best Burial's produced AND probably the greatest individual single-length moment in recorded music of the last 12 months.

britneys album pisses all over it - no, i really mean that. you want true vocal science, rather than a rarified indie approximation of it, then burials lp is the last place you should be looking.

britneys album pisses all over it - no, i really mean that. you want true vocal science, rather than a rarified indie approximation of it, then burials lp is the last place you should be looking.

I agree 100% actually. The Britney album's a right laugh, plus she sounds like some weird drugged sex robot on a couple of songs. Amazing stuff.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos

*puke*

It's good and all, but you lot all need to give it a bit of a rest.

So why bemoan burial's music moving into the mainstream when you're happy to draw comparisons with Britney Spears? i'm confused :confused:

*puke*

It's good and all, but you lot all need to give it a bit of a rest.

yeah, i think you're right. amongst all the shit music released in the world this year the album is great, but we're all experiencing it through this cloud of hype that just completely distorts everything. i mean, if this album was released without the precedent of the first album then we'd all be raving about it. (and im sure if the whole world and his mum wasnt on burial atm, and he wasnt so obviously successful, then we'd be a bit more sympathetic towards him)

my fear is that burial is a one trick pony, and he wont be able to escape this sound/style he's created for himself, which (especially after 2 similar albums) will begin to grate.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
yeah, i think you're right. amongst all the shit music released in the world this year the album is great, but we're all experiencing it through this cloud of hype that just completely distorts everything. i mean, if this album was released without the precedent of the first album then we'd all be raving about it. (and im sure if the whole world and his mum wasnt on burial atm, and he wasnt so obviously successful, then we'd be a bit more sympathetic towards him)

my fear is that burial is a one trick pony, and he wont be able to escape this sound/style he's created for himself, which (especially after 2 similar albums) will begin to grate.

Another thing that is strange about Burial is that I usually find his albums really intensely boring and unmemorable, but I love a lot of tracks he's made that haven't been on his albums (barring, of course, Archangel).

For instance: South London Boroughs, Wayfaring Stranger remix, Unite ... he doesn't get better than this imo.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Another thing that is strange about Burial is that I usually find his albums really intensely boring and unmemorable, but I love a lot of tracks he's made that haven't been on his albums (barring, of course, Archangel).

For instance: South London Boroughs, Wayfaring Stranger remix, Unite ... he doesn't get better than this imo.

On this I'm 100% agreed. His best tracks (aside from Archangel) are South London Burroughs, Unite, Versus, and the recent Burial remix... He's at his best when in "pop" mode or else in dark rolling territory... rather than wishy washy lachrymose ambient-step. And of course he's a one trick pony. That much is very very clear. I'm probably more interested in the discourse around Burial than Burial himself or his actual albums. But that it the fundamental issue (or perhaps strength, depending on your views on such matters) with "Hauntology" as a whole, the discussion is so much more interesting and rich than the actual music in-itself.

echevarian

babylon sister
I appear to be the only person who likes Grime (or maybe liked Grime) that wishes Jammer would just shut the fuck up and make beats like Hollow Man or the Platoon remix again.

This is after seeing him rap at the DMZ vs. Dubwar thing, mind.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
I appear to be the only person who likes Grime (or maybe liked Grime) that wishes Jammer would just shut the fuck up and make beats like Hollow Man or the Platoon remix again.

This is after seeing him rap at the DMZ vs. Dubwar thing, mind.

nope i agree, great producer rubbish mc.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yes. I thought that about the first album actually (go and check my posting in the "best of 2006" thread!). More interesting to talk about than listen to for the most part... it fires up interesting ideas when considered in the abstract, but the actual listening experience (a sizable number of discrete tracks excluded) is a bit flat. But then I suppose that could be said of a lot of things (sex, drugs, films etc). But it seems especially so with Burial. I'm not necessarily talking about the bare hyping around his albums, but rather the more theoretical debate that they fire off around these parts.

Of course you could argue that over-theorising inevitably leads to the thing-in-itself becoming flattened out as an experience... but I think that need not be so, indeed it can create an intensification in the actual experience...

echevarian

babylon sister
Don't take this the wrong way Gek, but sometimes your posts strike me as a little bit anhedonic.

The only people I've met who don't get pleasure out of virtually anything are the ones who used to abuse crystal meth.

I loved the first Burial EP, and hated his first album.

And Untrue had me back loving his stuff again.

But the whole hauntology thing, and all the theory attached to the music bores me, to be frank.

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Don't take this the wrong way Gek, but sometimes your posts strike me as a little bit anhedonic.

The only people I've met who don't get pleasure out of virtually anything are the ones who used to abuse crystal meth.

I loved the first Burial EP, and hated his first album.

And Untrue had me back loving his stuff again.

But the whole hauntology thing, and all the theory attached to the music bores me, to be frank.

No offence taken. Yer, Hauntology bored me for the most part but on the level of the music being so pedestrian. Burial is a cut above the rest I think, but still the pleasure resides at the level of the discourse (though that itself involving a visceral hedonic buzz).

echevarian

babylon sister
I've read enough of the CCRU and the Hyperstition blog to know that anything Kode 9 attaches his name to, anything on Hyperdub that is, is going to have another layer of theory on top of the music.

And I'll agree that some of that stuff is fun.

Who knows about the ancient lemur magick round these parts?

Its when we start talking about politicizing pleasure and Derrida that you start to lose me.