Blackdown

nexKeysound
Didn't know this, that's big. Good to see NME promoting music that isn't indie band pish (though I haven't read it for years, it could be crammed full of good stuff as far as I know)

Skream's been in the NME twice this year, once on the cover!

tbh the name 'dubstep' is increasingly redundant. the wobblers can have the name and the those so inclined can take the broader spirit of experimentation and going their own way... it's an amicable divorce.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
yeah that is SERIOUS line up. really looking forward to seeing benufo mixing on a big system.

i reckon skream will use a thursday night crowd at PP to play stuff that isn't bait ravey jump up. hopefully anyway..
Big night.

We got there before the queue even started, went for a quick pint at the Barley Mow and by the time we got back, just after ten, the queue was fairly serious already.

Ben was on top form, immense set.

I'd been hoping to get Ben then Joy Orbison then for Skream to come on and start playing back to back bait wobblers so I could go home without feeling like I was missing much. Actually we got Ben and then Skream played a really good set - mostly quite ravey but varied enough that the big farting-robot tunes felt like the peaks rather than the norm. Plus Skream is probably one of the only producers out there with enough skills and originality that his crowd pleasing bangers don't have to be a copy and paste wobble tunes.

I only recognized a few tunes - does anyone who's more in the loop than me know what the stuff he was playing actually was? His own stuff or other producers? What was all that amen business at the end?

Didn't actually stay for Joy Orbison in the end owing to the prospect of a double night bus mission home and work in the morning...

benjybars

village elder.
Big night.

We got there before the queue even started, went for a quick pint at the Barley Mow and by the time we got back, just after ten, the queue was fairly serious already.

Ben was on top form, immense set.

I'd been hoping to get Ben then Joy Orbison then for Skream to come on and start playing back to back bait wobblers so I could go home without feeling like I was missing much. Actually we got Ben and then Skream played a really good set - mostly quite ravey but varied enough that the big farting-robot tunes felt like the peaks rather than the norm. Plus Skream is probably one of the only producers out there with enough skills and originality that his crowd pleasing bangers don't have to be a copy and paste wobble tunes.

I only recognized a few tunes - does anyone who's more in the loop than me know what the stuff he was playing actually was? His own stuff or other producers? What was all that amen business at the end?

Didn't actually stay for Joy Orbison in the end owing to the prospect of a double night bus mission home and work in the morning...

rah i thought skream's set could not have been more bait and boring. but then i haven't seen a 'main room' dubstep dj in quite a while so maybe this was pretty tame in comparison..

but yeah he played maybe 2 tunes that showed a little promise. one 2 steppy vocal bit with some serious sub. also, is skream always on a lot of coke when he DJs?? i mentioned this the last time i saw him play about 8 months ago and last night he was even more wired!

yeah the queue was hench by 10.30. missed most of scratcha. ben was quality. even if he did just play a straight up house set :p .. only joking ben.. you're a wickedman DJ.

joy orbison was great i thought. really, really tight mixing. also played a lot of house stuff.

system was good although my ears are still ringing like a bastard from skream's set.

last night was the first time i went to fwd by myself since 06 i think. pretty weird. much younger crowd these days. good atmosphere tho.

oh shit, UFO's last tune. some james blake bit. fuck me. :D

BareBones

wheezy
Y As far as they are concerned, Datsik, Excision, Caspa, Rusko, 16 Bit = dubstep.

i had actually never heard of datsik or excision until about an hour ago when the 16-year-old work experience girl i was lumbered with all morning was telling me how much she loved dubstep and that those are her favourite artists

continuum

smugpolice
Skream's been in the NME twice this year, once on the cover!

for reference:

4525130739_e72242a2ed_o.jpg

samdiamond

yeah i've been wanting to hear that james blake tune out for time. Ben ufo set was great as expected, really wish he'd played that new ramadanman bit though, that 'work them' thing. only caught a bit of scratcha, what was that thing with bits of natty in it mixed with that tune that oneman's been playing on rinse a lot? bit vague i know. left after 8 minutes of skream, couldn't really put up with that lairy stuff but kinda wish i'd stayed now if he played some of the new good stuff later on. that amen things 'listening to the records on my wall' yeah? and give u everythings really good. would have loved to stay for joy but bus woes :slanted:

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Whats the story with the mystiks Grace Jones plate.
Can it only be got in certain shops and not online ?

Cant be arsed reading that thread on dsf

benjybars

village elder.
Whats the story with the mystiks Grace Jones plate.
Can it only be got in certain shops and not online ?

Cant be arsed reading that thread on dsf

yeah it's a limited release for international record shop day i think

so places like SOTU, rough trade east etc will have it. not sure if they'll have them on the website

alex

Do not read this.
So quest is playing the main room at fabric 2night, 2hr set 10pm-12pm. That enough recognition/respect?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
left after 8 minutes of skream, couldn't really put up with that lairy stuff but kinda wish i'd stayed now if he played some of the new good stuff later on. that amen things 'listening to the records on my wall' yeah? and give u everythings really good.
Yeah, it was all pretty much hard lairy stuff most of the way through. But IMO that's not bad in itself. And it wasn't like an N-Type jumpup set where you know exactly what every tune's going to sound like (intro, breakdown, halftep + midrange) and the only question is how far into each drop he's going to get before pulling it up - with Skream playing like he was last night, you're not sure whether he's going to play a midrange wobbler or something stripped down and techy or something over the top and trancey or something flat out weird.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
me, el-b, alex nut, floating points and jerome sydenham (!!!!!!) are playing at bmsoho for the record store day on saturday. im on at 1. they got free cider and the forecast is sunny!

Last edited:

samdiamond

Yeah, it was all pretty much hard lairy stuff most of the way through. But IMO that's not bad in itself. And it wasn't like an N-Type jumpup set where you know exactly what every tune's going to sound like (intro, breakdown, halftep + midrange) and the only question is how far into each drop he's going to get before pulling it up - with Skream playing like he was last night, you're not sure whether he's going to play a midrange wobbler or something stripped down and techy or something over the top and trancey or something flat out weird.
i know what you mean, i liked the intro and i would have liked to stay for some of the other stuff but the first 10 minutes were all midrange wobblers and i was pretty tired so i left.

Also BM saturday looks great