benw

them MushiMushi sellers are cunts. Theyre registered in discogs under about 8 names and each one of them has some DMZ bit for about 100% more than its worth... Seriously heavy on their margin sellers....

Last edited:

rrrivero

It just makes me hesitate to say Dubstep when someone asks what kind of music I like, had a drunken Australian berate me for it before
same with electro after the surge in popularity of electro house. As if I didnt feel like enough of a cunt without having to say things like "Yeah I like dubstep, but that other kind"

e/y

tumblr_m0iqjt4R0N1qccxyeo1_500.png

Kode9 played some jungle, which made my year. really fun night.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Didn't DMZ lose the Mass, or decide to find a new venue? So the rumour goes anyway.

Its probably been a topic that has made the rounds before but I don't understand why people still decide to harp on about their beloved Dubstep being ruined by Skrillex and his ilk. I'm sure Mala isn't being payed a handful of pennies anymore, probably far from considering these days an artist with a forthcoming release/one release to his name can cost £500 + travel/accomodation. Skrillex isn't stopping Mala from producing music, playing out or making a decent living.

Its not even like Skrillex is taking the crowds away from DMZ or 'deep' dubstep. 14 year old kids that listen to chart music will still listen to Skrillex and the 'underground' will still listen to DMZ. The only cross over is in name, other then that the two things are worlds apart.

The biggest threat to dubstep is people on forums that complain and bitch about everything. So it would seem, anyway. Does anyone remember when Quest and a few others decided to announce their retirement on DSF a couple of years ago?

This is rubbish, on a bunch of levels. People complaining on forums are easy to ignore but everytime Skrillex makes another 100,000 fans, that's another 100,000 fans who have their mental expectations attuned to dubstep = his sound, such that it makes it harder for Mala n co to play their sound. Crowds respond to what they expect and if their expectations are for Emo-metal, then, well... its over isnt it? And while you could say each producer to their own sound, there's a causality here ie Skrillex's career was build on the foundations Mala and his friends laid. Now maybe that shouldnt matter - let the free markets decide or something - but emotionally I always feel it should.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
"when are you going to play some dubstep" -Request line cleared the floor at one gig in 2008.

Two weeks ago I was asked to play some techno while Energy Flash was spinning away.

"I love Bob Marley" - play any reggae tune

SecondLine

This is rubbish, on a bunch of levels. People complaining on forums are easy to ignore but everytime Skrillex makes another 100,000 fans, that's another 100,000 fans who have their mental expectations attuned to dubstep = his sound, such that it makes it harder for Mala n co to play their sound. Crowds respond to what they expect and if their expectations are for Emo-metal, then, well... its over isnt it? And while you could say each producer to their own sound, there's a causality here ie Skrillex's career was build on the foundations Mala and his friends laid. Now maybe that shouldnt matter - let the free markets decide or something - but emotionally I always feel it should.

the 'live and let live'/'trickle down' argument has some limited traction I think but ultimately, shouldn't we just be against shit music regardless of how it may or may not relate to good music? It's become a bit of a music crit power move lately to say 'you know actually this skrillex stuff isn't bad, I see no reason NOT to like it', but it is fucking shit*. it's pretty funny, but it's still shit* - by which I mean, if all music was like that, my soul would shrivel up like a tiny gourmet vegetable crisp in the gutter and slowly flake away in the tailwind of passing busses.

I'm not gonna waste any effort griping about it on dsf but equally I don't see why I should have to be argued/reasoned into being cool with it for extra-musical reasons. It's shit*.

[*SUBJECTIVITY DISCLAIMER - PUT 'IN MY VIEW' IN FRONT OF THESE SENTENCES]

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Exactly. See also the "I've found one brostep track thats not unlistenable therefore you are not allowed to criticise brostep" argument.

Phaedo

i think its easy to forget that a lot of people that started out listening to brostep now listen to Mala and co...

SecondLine

i think its easy to forget that a lot of people that started out listening to brostep now listen to Mala and co...

does this really happen? I mean I guess there are shades of grey - someone getting into rusko circa his fabriclive mix is likely to have stumbled across the rest of dubstep pretty quickly, but the tens of thousands of people going to see skrillex in the states, whose route in was via his emo band. Do they ever really discover the other stuff? It's just its own thing now.

genuinely curious as I don't know any of these people

but yeah as I said, I'm sure there is a bit of a 'trickle down' but that's almost peripheral to the main point of whether the music is terrible or not.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
I don't really care about the Skrillex discussion, just that it would be practical if they'd have an alternative name for that particular music style, such as brostep, and not dubstep. What concerns me more is that there's hardly any dubstep being made any more, to be honest, I only check out the Digital Mystikz and Mala releases that are coming out every now and then. I can't even remember the last time I even went to a dubstep night.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Oh, well I hope it will have that kind of tribal thing to it, like dubstep originally had. What happened to sampling reggae and dub?

Phaedo

does this really happen? I mean I guess there are shades of grey - someone getting into rusko circa his fabriclive mix is likely to have stumbled across the rest of dubstep pretty quickly, but the tens of thousands of people going to see skrillex in the states, whose route in was via his emo band. Do they ever really discover the other stuff? It's just its own thing now.

genuinely curious as I don't know any of these people

but yeah as I said, I'm sure there is a bit of a 'trickle down' but that's almost peripheral to the main point of whether the music is terrible or not.

yeah. i actually know quite a lot of people whose first exposure to dubstep was, as expected, the more commercial/heavy side. as the novelty of the chainsaws wore off then they started to discover better material and now they are on the right path. i've seen this with a fair few people.

i think one part of this was that when the people i know first heard dubstep it was when skream and benga were pretty much the biggest names the scene had to offer. if you just browsed through their tunes on youtube obviously you'd come across plenty of their earlier/deeper stuff. the kids that have discovered dubstep from skrillex are probably completely unattached to anything remotely listenable, i admit.

sgn

This line of reasoning is always brought up in a discussion like this and while it may be a true, it ignores the very real possibility that the number of people who will never give Mala and co a chance because they associate all of dubstep with Skrillex's sound will be far more in number.

Phaedo

This line of reasoning is always brought up in a discussion like this and while it may be a true, it ignores the very real possibility that the number of people who will never give Mala and co a chance because they associate all of dubstep with Skrillex's sound will be far more in number.

im not trying to ignore the fact its probably a small percentage that explore deeper into the sound. but if even a tiny proportion of skrillex's audience (for example) end up listening to good dubstep; comparatively thats actually going to be a quite a lot for the original dubstep scene.