Pestario

tell your friends
I haven't been to FWD since it switched to sundays. What is it like now? Does it start and finish earlier? Is it not so rammed with Shoreditch types?

viktorvaughn

I haven't been to FWD since it switched to sundays. What is it like now? Does it start and finish earlier? Is it not so rammed with Shoreditch types?

It's good (imo). Runs 8.30-12.30, I normally get there about 10ish. Varies really, a couple have been rammo and a few have been very quiet. It;s quieter than Fridays overall, yeah.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
The Hyperdub special is as good if not better for next level stuff, as is the Kode9 Maida Vale set. Both incredible...

Mother of balls! You weren't joking. Halfway through the Hyperdub special right now, Samiyam's set was unbelievable. Sent me reeling; so many things occur in that short 10-15 minutes! Really brilliant stuff.

At the same time it is sort of what I was expecting. The Hyperdub gang all sit on the fringes, and their importance is how experimental they are, constantly blurring genre definitions and bringing new combinations of sounds, webs of influence etc. to colour their tracks. I think what I enjoyed about Quest and Silkie's set was how fresh it sounded while still reminding me of what made me originally excited about dubstep. They are cutting edge while still remaining traditional. I like that.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Also, I still really don't feel like Ikonika fits in with the Hyperdub catalogue at all. She's good, just not that good.

hucks

Your Message Here
Mother of balls! You weren't joking. Halfway through the Hyperdub special right now, Samiyam's set was unbelievable. Sent me reeling; so many things occur in that short 10-15 minutes! Really brilliant stuff.

Have you got a link? The Maida Vale set is absolutely awesome, too, like Blackdown says.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think what I enjoyed about Quest and Silkie's set was how fresh it sounded while still reminding me of what made me originally excited about dubstep. They are cutting edge while still remaining traditional. I like that.

Yeah, I was thinking this recently - the Anti Social stuff is almost the last stuff that I really like in dubstep that sounds really dubsteppy... It's got that vibe to it, difficult to place.

There's still quite a few dubstep tunes coming out that I like (Pinch's 'Rise Up' RMX, 'Router', Breakage's DLX remix...) but I'm getting a bit bored of the genre generally... I dunno if that's just me getting jaded about it or if the music's lost something that I liked about it in the first place.

I was having an interesting pm exchange with a producer about how some producers are distancing themselves from dubstep now, even after the dubstep scene has given them popularity and credibility. It's become more important for them to get their props from the big house/techno people... I was saying that its understandable that people might want to distance their music from what is now widely perceived to be 'dubstep', but he rightly suggested that without the dubstep element to their music these producers would perhaps be making pretty boring, standard-issue 4x4 music. Reminded me of what Blackdown has written about the pursuit of a techno-like sound being dangerous because potentially leading to extremely deep, textured music with no rudeness or toughness to it at all....

Was reading a bit of 'energy flash' today, the bit about Intelligent DNB vs. Tech Step/Jump Up. The argument regarding Intelligent junglists equating progression and depth with the use of certain trad and apparently sophisticated sonic pallettes (i.e. rhodes + brass + double bass or whatever)... I wonder if this could be the case with the 'deeper' side of dubstep, only with the signifiers of sophistication and depth the reverb-drenched dub-chords, muted vocals, crackly mnml-techno-esque beats replacing jazz-fusion elements?

Obviously the outlandish jump-up stuff could be compared to the more hardcore side of other music forms, a side which is often dismissed as being juvenile and soul-less by those who are after depth and sophistication but which is often actually more avant garde/progressive because of its complete disregard of any standards of 'taste'. But then, perhaps that stuff is actually the stuff Hyperdub/Joker etc. are producing, which is certainly exciting (although perhaps also 'tasteful')?

Excuse the ramblings, I have to get down the pub and I wanted to do a brain-sick type quick. :eek:

synaptic

Global multinuum
Silkie's "Horizon" is just too much! Brilliantly built and full of positive energy.

And yeah Hyperbub's showcase (Zomby is the highlight for me) and k9's live set are the best things i've heard from this scene since a while.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Was reading a bit of 'energy flash' today, the bit about Intelligent DNB vs. Tech Step/Jump Up. The argument regarding Intelligent junglists equating progression and depth with the use of certain trad and apparently sophisticated sonic pallettes (i.e. rhodes + brass + double bass or whatever)... I wonder if this could be the case with the 'deeper' side of dubstep, only with the signifiers of sophistication and depth the reverb-drenched dub-chords, muted vocals, crackly mnml-techno-esque beats replacing jazz-fusion elements?
I actually posted that exact excerpt to the DSF production forum a few months back. Actually got a few interesting responses, even. It certainly seems like a very important bit of self-criticism - "am I using these sounds and avoiding those ones because I actually prefer them and am doing something interesting with them, or just because I've come to associate these sounds with 'intelligence' and those ones with 'stupidity'?"

Although SR was writing before we had a cannonical example of 'good scene turns really boring via excessive macho dancefloorism' to compare fusion dnb against. I sometimes wonder if he'd have a slightly different perspective if he'd first started thinking about the history of jungle in the last five years...

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Obviously the outlandish jump-up stuff could be compared to the more hardcore side of other music forms, a side which is often dismissed as being juvenile and soul-less by those who are after depth and sophistication but which is often actually more avant garde/progressive because of its complete disregard of any standards of 'taste'. But then, perhaps that stuff is actually the stuff Hyperdub/Joker etc. are producing, which is certainly exciting (although perhaps also 'tasteful')?

Awesome post Corpsle. Lemme just add this though...

This use of argument by Simon n co always concerns me, when people use counter theory to argue themselves into liking terrible music. just because some of the techy stuff is a bit tepid, doesn't mean the wobble stuff is by contrast "progressive" - one of it's worst attributes is that it's totally formulaic, collectively a clone of people like Coki, using sounds that ruined d&b and then also not evolving forward. this isn't progression!

Re Hyperdub, i dont find most of it tasteful: the sour tones of Darkstar's Need U VIP, Zomby's unsettling and unstable aquabasses or Ikonkia urgent wonky-rave. Tasteful is safe, safe this ain't.

gremino

Moster Sirphine
There should be different between the formula jumpup music and "outlandish jumpup". Because the latter one, hardcore music, which is made for maximum dancefloor usage whilst being unconsciosly very experimental ('ardkore, early 00's grime, kuduro, baile funk), is kind of functionally creating "what the f?" impacts, when the former is functionally predictable.

So, the point of the post was that "hardcore" styles are also jumpup music (atleast if you want to associate maximum dancefloor usage to jumpup) :)

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
that zomby set is just completely out of this world. So so good.

Dubstep allied itself with european stuff far too much for my liking. 2562 is kind of like the ultimate dub techno producer's producer, but i never really got any emotion connection to his tunes. Peverelist is the only one for me really who got the techno/dubstep thing down well. Apart from shackleton of course, but he doesn't even really make dubstep anymore does he?

The other thing with allying itself with europe is that europe has become increasinly tasteful over the last year and a half. I think the trend's were reflected in some dubstep.

After a period of not being interested at all in it, i have recently found my faith again. Ben ufo's fact mix is necessary for anyone wanting to be re-converted.

Algierstwin

wonder if any of you could tell me. . blackdown was playing a peverelist remix of something quite religiously for 2 months or so. . what was it?

and is it out?

datura

white collar loafer
wonder if any of you could tell me. . blackdown was playing a peverelist remix of something quite religiously for 2 months or so. . what was it?

and is it out?

That's probably the Waterfalls remix which is ridiculous. It's out on Heavy Artillery (I think) hopefully soon.

synaptic

Global multinuum
Dubstep allied itself with european stuff far too much for my liking. 2562 is kind of like the ultimate dub techno producer's producer, but i never really got any emotion connection to his tunes. Peverelist is the only one for me really who got the techno/dubstep thing down well. Apart from shackleton of course, but he doesn't even really make dubstep anymore does he?
There's some nice beats from F and Narcossist in that kind of vibe…
http://www.myspace.com/musicbyf
http://www.myspace.com/narcossist

Shonx

Shallow House
The other thing with allying itself with europe is that europe has become increasinly tasteful over the last year and a half. I think the trend's were reflected in some dubstep.

We've got loads of fairly fucked up music coming out of France and I thought minimal was kind of losing it's appeal in Germany, ghettotech seems to be increasingly popular in Sweden, etc.

Or am I just paying attention to the bits I'm interested in and making a generalised statement about an entire continent? ;)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Awesome post Corpsle. Lemme just add this though...

This use of argument by Simon n co always concerns me, when people use counter theory to argue themselves into liking terrible music. just because some of the techy stuff is a bit tepid, doesn't mean the wobble stuff is by contrast "progressive" - one of it's worst attributes is that it's totally formulaic, collectively a clone of people like Coki, using sounds that ruined d&b and then also not evolving forward. this isn't progression!

Re Hyperdub, i dont find most of it tasteful: the sour tones of Darkstar's Need U VIP, Zomby's unsettling and unstable aquabasses or Ikonkia urgent wonky-rave. Tasteful is safe, safe this ain't.

Yeah agree with you and Slothrop (I always wonder what Reynolds makes of Clipz/Pendulum and so on who are definitely anti-traditionalist in terms of their use of synths etc... but whose music isn't exactly 92 hardcore quality... although fun to rave to when you're off your head, and surely that's nothing to be sniffed at from the point of view of a believer in the importance of rave?) here... I often think I'm being too hard on the wobbly stuff and missing its essential qualities as music to rave to, 'a bit of fun' etc... and then I listen to it :eek:

I suppose the problem with categorising stuff according to these sub-generic boundaries is that it puts a gloss/kosh over anything that falls within that category automatically... It's difficult to avoid it though.

UNRELATED

D1- Oingy Boingy < is this out?