BareBones

wheezy
bet he wouldn't turn down a freebie though! :)

to be honest i'm less surprised about this than i am about that pimp my ride thing i posted about earlier. That sounds totally silly.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
FWD on Sunday is hopefully going to be as good as I expect it to be. I wonder if Zomby will show up? Hopefully D1 will be as good as the last few times I've seen him. I trust Kode and Brackles anyway.

powerpill

FWD on Sunday is hopefully going to be as good as I expect it to be. I wonder if Zomby will show up? Hopefully D1 will be as good as the last few times I've seen him. I trust Kode and Brackles anyway.

word on the street is that he is 10000000000% turning up

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Can ''Redneck'' be used positively BY a redneck? Pride in being a good ol' boy etc.?

Good news on that 100000000000000000000000% confirmation. One of the producers of the year for me.

BareBones

wheezy
Can ''Redneck'' be used positively BY a redneck? Pride in being a good ol' boy etc.?

Good news on that 100000000000000000000000% confirmation. One of the producers of the year for me.

didn't that teenager who knocked up sarah palin's daughter use the term in that way? But yeah, viktor's right, totally wrong thread :)

haven't been to fwd in ages but REALLY want to go this sunday...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Anyone heard Scuba's XLR8R podcast yet? (probably everyone, floor swallow me now)

http://xlr8r.com/podcast/2008/11/dubstep-2008-scuba

01. Shackleton - The Rope Tightens (Badawi remix) (Skull Disco) 00:00
02. Scuba - From Within (Marcel Dettmann remix) (Hotflush) 03:28
03. Mount Kimbie - Maybes (forthcoming Hotflush) 07:34
04. Scuba - Bleach (forthcoming Scape) 10:51
05. Sigha - Expressions (forthcoming Hotflush) 14:58
06. Pangaea - Bear Witness (forthcoming Hotflush) 17:15
07. STP - The Fall (T++ remix) (Sub Solo) 21:21
08. Untold - Sweat (forthcoming Hotflush) 23:52
09. Scuba - Tense (forthcoming HOTSHORE002) 25:54
10. Scuba - Ruptured (Surgeon remix) (Hotflush) 29:33
11. Sigha - Bruised (forthcoming Hotflush) 32:44
12. Baby Ford + Eon - Dead Eye (Plus 8 ) 35:55
13. F - The Untitled Dub (forthcoming 7even) 38:12
14. Scuba - The Upside (Martyn's down mix) (Hotflush) 41:23
15. Toasty - The Knowledge (Untold remix) (forthcoming Hotflush) 44:47
16. Mount Kimbie - William (forthcoming Hotflush) 47:02

About halfway in and really enjoying it, despite recently wondering if deep is another word for boring... Some of this stuff (presumably the remixes by T++, Dettmann etc.) seems much more on the techno side of things rather than on the dubstep side. But it's all interesting and has a vibe about it... the Mount Kimbie tune is a bit mad on the low-down too.

tom pr

One of the producers of the year for me.
i can't see how it can be anyone else. liquid dancehall, strange fruit, the lie, rumours and revelations, bubble bobble, mu5h, everything on the hyperdub ep, and a full-length album. fuck off.

tom pr

yeah. like if digidesign and electric sea came out maybe he'd be up there. i heard something quite promising regarding a joker album deal, but it might just be hearsay so i'm saying nothing.

it's been such a good year for (relatively) new producers though. zomby, rustie, joker, ikonika, mike slott, flylo, starkey album, gemmy... i think toddla t is fucking amazing too- i can see his album next year being unreal. maniac has made some great tunes this year too.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
i can't see how it can be anyone else. liquid dancehall, strange fruit, the lie, rumours and revelations, bubble bobble, mu5h, everything on the hyperdub ep, and a full-length album. fuck off.

I think it's a measure of what a good year it's been is that, despite buying rather a lot of dubstep this year, I haven't bought any Zomby. And he's one of the best producers of the year! Admittedly I've bought far too many old El B and grime record this year, but even so... there's been a LOAD of really really REALLY good records this year. Like 99-era 2step - loads of superb, mixable records from loads of producers.

(But maybe not many actually GREAT records?)

faustus

plus 'polka dot'!!!! who's heard this?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
yeah. like if digidesign and electric sea came out maybe he'd be up there.

Good to see someone else with strong feelings for Electric Sea. My every reply to a Joker thread on dsf is basically ''When is Electric Sea coming out?'' (or ''Are you really funny like wot a joker is?'')

I think its true that while a lot of good records have come out this year, there haven't been that many great ones. On the other hand perhaps its just a matter of dubstep releases reaching saturation point - so even the great tunes are somewhat... weakened by association.

Obviously a great year for Martyn and Anti Social too.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
''When is Electric Sea coming out?''

i think it's being (female) vocaled Corps. or maybe that was Early Morning. one of the two.

Like Zomby, Joker's had an insane year: Gully Brook Lane, Holly Brook Park, Snake Eater, Do It, There She Goes, Digidesign, Dead End, Early Morning, Electric Sea, Play Doe... r u dumble?

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
(But maybe not many actually GREAT records?)
Is that really the case? Or is it just that there's a great deal of good stuff coming out now - and the good stuff is coming out more from a semi-coherent bunch of producers and less from isolated individuals and small labels - and so less of it sticks out as being one great record in a sea of dross? Compared to 2007, for instance, I think it might take another year or so to really settle on what this year's absolute classics were...