Smoking BAN - how do YOU feel?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
the anti-smokers are really loving it, one of my friends got a verbal reprimand from some woman for smoking in a bus shelter at 6.30am in pouring rain the other week
I used to feel quite sorry for smokers - pity that they can't enjoy their vices when they want to but you've got to look out for the bar workers etc - until I read approximately 78 million of them whingeing on internet forums about how this is the erosion of their Basic Human Rights by the Power Mad Government and the next step from this is going to be forced labour camps and so on. It's funny how these people don't seem to notice ID cards, detention without trial and all that malarky, but as soon as they start having to go outside to smoke they all become hardcore libertarians...

Since then I'll admit I've started enjoying the schadenfreud.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I like it.

I've heard some bizarre conspiracy theories from nicotine addicts saying how terribly unfair it all is.

Tossers.

swears

preppy-kei
It's a good thing, I prefer to smoke outside anyway, because my clothes won't stink.
One thing I've noticed now though is that a lot of pubs tend to have this mouldy school-cafeteria smell.

N

nomadologist

i hated the smoking ban in new york at first, but after a while, the shock wears off and you realize that the restaurants are more pleasant to eat in when they don't smell like months-old cigarette butts...

E

Electric Angel

I think the smoking ban was best summed up when it was describe as "the health of a nation versus the freedom of a minority".

I personally enjoying going to bars and clubs more-so now, because I need not worry about the potentially harmful affects of second-hand smoke. I hardly think that it's the greatest of liberties to give up - I wouldn't consider smoking a basic human right anyway.

E

Electric Angel

You can say the same thing about TERRORISM, can't you?
Are we discussing terrorism? Did I say it could be applied to terrorism? I never said that statement could be used for anything more than the smoking ban, try to stay on topic please.

Octopus?

the anti-smokers are really loving it, one of my friends got a verbal reprimand from some woman for smoking in a bus shelter at 6.30am in pouring rain the other week

Pretty tough to have much sympathy for that though. Hey, mind if I fill this humid closet with cloying smoke first thing in the morning and then take off? Cheers!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Are we discussing terrorism? Did I say it could be applied to terrorism? I never said that statement could be used for anything more than the smoking ban, try to stay on topic please.

Eh? Who made you a mod?
Please try and be aware that many of the best discussions on here come from thread derailments, and also that a sense of humour is generally appreciated.

E

Electric Angel

Eh? Who made you a mod?
Please try and be aware that many of the best discussions on here come from thread derailments, and also that a sense of humour is generally appreciated.

Well sorry, but it can be hard to distinguish between seriousness and humour on an internet forum where tone-of-voice is virtually non-existent. Forgive me also for wishing to discuss the topic which the thread-title advertised...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I haven't smoked any cigarettes since the ban, purely because I am (or was) such a half-hearted and lazy smoker that I can't be bothered to go outside and do it. I guess that means that I am one of the people who has acted exactly as the government hoped and I should probably care about that but I don't really.
I am still opposed to the ban though, not in an "it's an attack on our basic freedoms" kind of way, it's just that it seems a shame that there wasn't some way around it for those who wanted to continue. Basically lots of people want to smoke in bars and lots of bars want people to smoke in them and it seems a bit nannyish to stop that happening.

i dont like the ban on shisha at all. when people go to a shisha cafe they almost certainly will go to smoke shisha - the employees smoke it, everyone smokes it. although i did hear its 8 times more carcinogenic than cigarettes

haji

lala
i dont like the ban on shisha at all. when people go to a shisha cafe they almost certainly will go to smoke shisha - the employees smoke it, everyone smokes it. although i did hear its 8 times more carcinogenic than cigarettes
i've smoked plenty of shisha since the ban - it just has to be outdoors (and prices are up!) check edgeware road now, there are awnings covering smokers all the way up the street, my local on turnpike lane moved premises and built a july 1st compliant extension before the law changed with capacity for dozens of shisha,
it's gonna be grim in winter tho.... :slanted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6914503.stm

_44022368_hollie_416_2630.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's a good thing, I prefer to smoke outside anyway, because my clothes won't stink.
One thing I've noticed now though is that a lot of pubs tend to have this mouldy school-cafeteria smell.

Most people I know comment that pubs now smell of urine. I never notice it. This worries me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh, so the shisha places aren't exempt after all? I thought they were going to get around that by going 'members only' and charging a nominal 50p membership or something. It's so stupid the law has been applied to them, because the only reason you'd go there is to smoke! Gah, it's so typical of the monochromatic bureacracy that seems to infect every aspect of gubbermint policy these days...