Your most tenuous or absurd claims to fame

Woebot

Hung out with Sonic Boom (Spacemen 3, Spectrum, E.A.R.) for a bit when he played Silverlake earlier this year, and "contributed to the myth of Sonic's legendary er, usage", so to speak. Funny guy, he had a real bratty sense of humor. He signed my buddy's "grower's licence", on the seal, which I think was pretty fitting.

oooh. that's dangerously close to being a real claim to fame!

S

simon silverdollar

Yes. And his pieces in the Sunday Times are becoming increasingly doddery and strange.

they always were really odd though, weren't they? astoundingly badly written and pointless- i've no idea why the column became such an institution. you could just tell that he knocked them up in about 30 seconds. in contrast to AA Gill's restaurant reviews in the same paper, which read like they've taken months to construct.

viktorvaughn

A session musician who played for Take That used to live in the house i lived in a couple of years ago and came to a party there! Apparently.

Graham Gooch shoved me when I asked for his autograph (he was making his way BACK from the crease to the pavillion)

A friend of mine once tried to highfive Ice-T before a Body Count show, jumped in front of him while he was walking to the bar and said: "Yo, Ice!" He just pushed him away. :cool:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A friend of mine once tried to highfive Ice-T before a Body Count show, jumped in front of him while he was walking to the bar and said: "Yo, Ice!" He just pushed him away. :cool:

To be fair, I'd probably have done the same.

Could be worse, your friend could have pretended to confuse him with Vanilla Ice, that'd be pretty funny. :)

dHarry

As a small-town Irish music journo I had back-stage pass to a festival where Massive Attack were playing, and ended up drinking/smoking with them before their set - when they were going out on stage, skylark-throated Studio 1 reggae legend Horace Andy was crawling around under the table looking for a nodge ("c'mon Horace, we're on now" *Horace ignores them*)...

At a similar event I had just phone-interviewed Moby and asked him about the US tour he did with Orbital and Aphex Twin (where they didn't get on with him). Then I met the Hartnoll bros. and mentioned I wrote for the local music mag, and they said "You weren't responsible for this were you?" and pulled my Moby interview out of their pocket saying "I can't believe he's still going on about this, he's like a little brother who never stops annoying you"...

At the same event I met a friend who introduced me to Tom Green (who's worked with the Orb, who were also playing). As he was rolling a joint sitting out in the sun the three of us were grabbed (literally, out arms were pinned to our sides) by the local cops and his gear was confiscated. Tom scarpered, muttering "Not like Glasto, is it?" darkly...

Oh, and I interviewed Charles Hayward of This Heat/Camberwell Now for Fact recently!!

Lichen

they always were really odd though, weren't they? astoundingly badly written and pointless- i've no idea why the column became such an institution. you could just tell that he knocked them up in about 30 seconds. in contrast to AA Gill's restaurant reviews in the same paper, which read like they've taken months to construct.

They had a certain vibe to them that appealed to the Middle English Nigels and Rogers, I think.

All blazers, breadsticks and and tired old wank about "my table"...

His reservation of the adjective "memorable" for dishes he's enjoyed especially and its use as a sentence in its own right is just horrible. I see it flobbing from his little mouth when I read it.

AA Gill is good, isn't he? I have tried to despise him but his TV reviews in "Culture" make it very difficult.

swears

preppy-kei
At a similar event I had just phone-interviewed Moby and asked him about the US tour he did with Orbital and Aphex Twin (where they didn't get on with him). Then I met the Hartnoll bros. and mentioned I wrote for the local music mag, and they said "You weren't responsible for this were you?" and pulled my Moby interview out of their pocket saying "I can't believe he's still going on about this, he's like a little brother who never stops annoying you"...

I read about that tour, I always had a mental image of Moby saying stuff like:
"Hey you guys are really destroying your bodies with those substances, why don't we try and create a more postive vibe so we can co-exist on the tour in a harmonious manner" in that really twattish question-intonation voice he has, and Aphex just going:
"Hur hur, well lush."

Didn't they end up having separate coaches?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Haha, I like that.

Reminds of when I read about Chuck Palahniuniniuak doing a 'spoken word' tour recently - I imagined him sounding exactly like Butthead, sitting awkwardly on a chair in front of a few people and saying "...uhuhuhuh, and then he, like, stuck it up his butt, uhuhuhuh, and it, like, got infected, uhuhuhuhh..."

swears

preppy-kei
I love the way people read all these deep meanings into Aphex's work and whenever you read an interview with him, he says things like:
"Yeah, so I did a record and it was well brutal, so I did another one and it was wicked and I got paid loads, lush."

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Haha, I like that.

Reminds of when I read about Chuck Palahniuniniuak doing a 'spoken word' tour recently - I imagined him sounding exactly like Butthead, sitting awkwardly on a chair in front of a few people and saying "...uhuhuhuh, and then he, like, stuck it up his butt, uhuhuhuh, and it, like, got infected, uhuhuhuhh..."

he's really, REALLY funny though, possibly as funny as B & B.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
High praise indeed! I'll have to check him out next time he's in London.

I was well impressed, it's easily, easily the best spoken word and Q&A I've ever seen, he's clinically funny and it was kinda performance as well, he gave out scratch and sniff cards that smelt of meat and all sorts, nice chap. Nice people, that portland lot.