Denim

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well we are talking about jeans here, not a hand-cut suit from Gieves & Hawkes. On the basis that $1 in America has more or less the same purchasing power as £1 in the UK, I would not consider a £50 pair of jeans a "piece of crap". In fact, as I just said upthread, the most I've ever paid was slightly less than that.

I do however own a coat that cost £350 and is BY FAR the most expensive garment I own, because I consider a coat to be something it's worth paying good money for. Though I guess if you're REALLY into jeans you might find a pair costing that much that you would consider worth the money.

I guess if a garment is really well made, hard-wearing and beautifully cut, it can be worth spending some money on - what I dislike is label fetishism whereby a pair of jeans that should be £40 is somehow worth £80 because it has the Evisu logo stitched on the arse. Eeurgh.

swears

preppy-kei
I guess if a garment is really well made, hard-wearing and beautifully cut, it can be worth spending some money on - what I dislike is label fetishism whereby a pair of jeans that should be £40 is somehow worth £80 because it has the Evisu logo stitched on the arse. Eeurgh.

Hear, hear!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Someone with some knowledge of (and interest in) economics could tie this in nicely with the price vs. value discussion going on in the 'Poor rich people' thread.

N

nomadologist

to buy jeans?!?! that is the most absurd thing i've ever heard! what if they don't FIT

i do it all the time. you just have to find a good tailor and the right brand. i love sass and bide drainpipes best they are by far the best quality denim with the best cut

tom pr

love my new pair of ankle tight, black/grey jeans. and am actively seeking another stretchy pair that is even tighter. as opposed to all the mishapen bodies with short legs and chub around the waist which look fucking atrocious in drain-pipes (midgets on stilts that took big dumps in their pants), I look positively yummy (or so the girls say)
I think there lies the rub. I was a bit chubby in high school so stuck to baggy, but the last year has been strictly tight business.

Not paired with a purple hoodie though, so Mr. Tea can sleep easy tonight... ;)

-glow-

More a Hi Karate or Slazenger Sport gal myself!
Oh sorry, you mean clothes...
;-))
PS tried to figure this forum out (the logistics) for ages, hopefully I've cracked it!
x

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Lee 101s - the dark, loose ones. They look soo good when they wear in. From American Classics on Endall St. Yes.....

As an aside, what do people think about the aesthetics of denim jackets? Wear them with jeans & it looks a bit status quo, but what else can you wear them with? Combat trousers looks OK, but anything else looks shit.

N

nomadologist

Lee 101s - the dark, loose ones. They look soo good when they wear in. From American Classics on Endall St. Yes.....

As an aside, what do people think about the aesthetics of denim jackets? Wear them with jeans & it looks a bit status quo, but what else can you wear them with? Combat trousers looks OK, but anything else looks shit.

seems like denim jackets go in and out of style in pretty rapid succession. for a while, they were making them in all sorts of interesting cuts and washes in the 90s, but that's mostly over now. i remember having a really long one when I was about 8 or 10 that was tres chic at the time.

i have a few questions about jeans. let me mention also that i had no idea that people took jeans this seriously - or that there was a brand in the world other than Levi's.

Firstly - how often do they need to be washed - might sound basic but i rearely ever wash my jeans, like 2 or 3 times a year if that. i love the worn in feel, dont really care about the dirt - i wear mostly dark shades anyway.

Secondly - why do they Always Always get fucking great big holes in the crotch. loads of my jeans have done this (i only ever wear one pair at a time to destruction) and its bloody annoying. is there a way to stop this?

my favourite jeans are some old Levis that i have that are absolutely covered in paint. the hole round the crotch is so large it'd be indecent to wear them without another pair of trousers underneath but hey, thats the price i gotta pay fo' style

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Secondly - why do they Always Always get fucking great big holes in the crotch. loads of my jeans have done this (i only ever wear one pair at a time to destruction) and its bloody annoying. is there a way to stop this?

Mine do this but only the baggy cut ones. I think it's more down to the fabric rubbing around down there than to your bathroom habits.

Solution: buy tight cut jeans, or don't wear your baggies as much.

viktorvaughn

i have a few questions about jeans. let me mention also that i had no idea that people took jeans this seriously - or that there was a brand in the world other than Levi's.

Firstly - how often do they need to be washed - might sound basic but i rearely ever wash my jeans, like 2 or 3 times a year if that. i love the worn in feel, dont really care about the dirt - i wear mostly dark shades anyway.

my favourite jeans are some old Levis that i have that are absolutely covered in paint. the hole round the crotch is so large it'd be indecent to wear them without another pair of trousers underneath but hey, thats the price i gotta pay fo' style

You will get a nicer fade if you wash them less and allow the indigo more time to work in and around the creases. You only 'need' to wash them when they start to smell offensively i guess? Couple times a year sounds perfect.

They wear at at the crotch cos that's where they pull with every stride you take. Solution is to patch them on the inside as soon as you see even a tiny hole forming.