SuperMarkets - EVIL SCUM !?!!?? (This thread for REWCH)

sufi

lala
well, you know it's true,

they move into an area MERCILESSLY undercutting honest small businesses then when monopoly is established they RUTHLESSLY up the charges to top whack :mad:

but the rub of the rub, for rewch at least, is that they SHAMELESSLY & with NO JUSTIFICATION apart from FILTHY LUCRE exploit their customers by gouging an extra few pence on even basic items depending on location, so check your local sainsbury and compare to the strategically placed 'sainsbury local' you'll find the more 'convenient' they are the more likely you will be to pay an extra premium of 10-20% solely as a liberty taken against YOU CONSUMER!

how to resist this onslaught of bland overpackaged pulp masquerading as 'healthy eating, organic value freetrade bollocks'? - i mean FFS you buy what they call a 'salad' in m&s & it's a handful of greasy pulses for £4.95 (buy 3 get a napkin free ) - it looks & tastes like airplane food but you don't even get to travel ....

so let's ave yer supermarket rants EVERYONE'S got one (just don't start on the staff cos it ain't their fault) TESCO, MOZZA, ICELAND, SOMERFIELDS, come on then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

sufi

lala
jsjamie.jpg

captions for jamie?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I like 6 o'clock in supermarkets when all the vultures gather round the sticky label discount man, and all the vegetarian vultures will him to do the veggie sausages when they know they're only gonna get peach muller lite.

We get partridge in our Waitrose for 20 pence. True.

Moral of this story? Supermarkets may be killing our planet, but trying to make them go broke is much fun Olympic sport.

I wrote to my local Sainsbury's by email and told them I'd seen a mouse in their branch, and they sent me 30 quid in free tokens. Good food costs nothing at Sainsburys.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wrote to my local Sainsbury's by email and told them I'd seen a mouse in their branch, and they sent me 30 quid in free tokens. Good food costs nothing at Sainsburys.

Hmmm...d'you suppose if I 'saw' a pack of scavenging hyena in my local S'burys I could eat free for a year, then? :D

mistersloane

Hmmm...d'you suppose if I 'saw' a pack of scavenging hyena in my local S'burys I could eat free for a year, then? :D

I'd stick with mice and cockroaches, different branches, different supermarkets, it's amazing how infested they are if you keep your eyes open.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I've got half a theory that the reason that the reason local businesses lose out so hard to supermarkets isn't the price or the location but the opening hours. I'm lucky that where I live there are quite a lot of high street grocers and butchers (proper oldskool cheap ones too, none of your "organic free range hand reared cabbages £15 a lb"), but they tend to shut at about five o'clock. I can get to them because I'm a grad student and can work random hours, but if I worked a proper job I'd be more or less obliged to shop at Sainsburys because it's the only place you can go after work...

sufi

lala
make no mistake, if you see a pack of scavenging hyaenas in sinsburys that will be the board of directors

Lichen

Derailment

It costs a gamekeeper/shoot owner around £1.50 - £2.00 to buy a young Partridge. He then feeds it, protects it from predators, and releases it around this time of year in time for the shooting season (Sep 1 for partridge)

His guests (assuming they are paying guests, which they very often are) pay between £25 and £30 for every bird they shoot during the course of the day. Thus the massive increase in value of an airborne bird.

On many shoots big numbers of birds are shot: bags of 800-1,200 are not unheard of, though an average shoot might account for 150 or so.

The market is therefore faced with a glut of game birds and very little demand. This is doubly true of pheasants, many more of which are shot and which, arguably, eat less well than Partirdge

Thus your cheap partridge, I imagine. (Though most butchers and supermarkets seem to ask for about seven pounds a brace (two))

Grouse, and to a lesser extent, English (or Grey legged partridge as they're also known) are more expensive because they are genuinely (and exclusively, in the case of grouse) wild birds - they haven't been bred and released for sport.

Prior to their release and few weeks of freedom in our woods and fields, French, or red-legged Partridge and Pheasant are intensively farmed, often on the continent, and in conditions rivalling those of battery farmed chickens. There are probably many, humane, well-run game farms too,

don_quixote

Trent End
the supermarkets seem to have a grip on everyones bloody thoughts... only the other week they were talking about packaging on some shit tv show i had on and someone emailed in saying "if you want to cut down on packaging for fruit and veg just buy stuff from your local market" and the presenter on the bb bloody c goes "yeah that's a good idea but you have to pay more for that dont you?" YOU WHAT?? what is this myth goin about that supermarkets are cheaper than markets. if you buy stuff in season it's cheaper on markets, if you have a market that isnt there every day and go back at the end theyll be selling stuff that won't keep the week off and furthermore the produce will be of better quality cos it will be picked for taste rather than shelf life.

it all comes down to people justifying their convenience, the people i lived with at university would always trot out this shit, but theyd leave 2.5kg bags of potatoes to rot after only using two or three - wtf?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
the supermarkets seem to have a grip on everyones bloody thoughts... only the other week they were talking about packaging on some shit tv show i had on and someone emailed in saying "if you want to cut down on packaging for fruit and veg just buy stuff from your local market" and the presenter on the bb bloody c goes "yeah that's a good idea but you have to pay more for that dont you?" YOU WHAT?? what is this myth goin about that supermarkets are cheaper than markets. if you buy stuff in season it's cheaper on markets
Totally. There's this weird idea that everyone seems to have that vegetables are cheaper from supermarkets than from markets or greengrocers and meat from local butchers is somehow less trustworthy than meat from supermarkets.

:mad:

Lichen

Perhaps there is a subconscious equation between plenty and success in our society. So, to return from S*****rys with a 2 kilo bag pf potatoes is preferrable to bringing home a single or a couple of 'taters from the grocer.

Have you noticed how green grocers and butchers in many places are full of old people? They haven't forgotten how to shop properly and economically.

mistersloane

It costs a gamekeeper/shoot owner around £1.50 - £2.00 to buy a young Partridge. He then feeds it, protects it from predators, and releases it around this time of year in time for the shooting season (Sep 1 for partridge)

His guests (assuming they are paying guests, which they very often are) pay between £25 and £30 for every bird they shoot during the course of the day. Thus the massive increase in value of an airborne bird.

On many shoots big numbers of birds are shot: bags of 800-1,200 are not unheard of, though an average shoot might account for 150 or so.

The market is therefore faced with a glut of game birds and very little demand. This is doubly true of pheasants, many more of which are shot and which, arguably, eat less well than Partirdge

Thus your cheap partridge, I imagine. (Though most butchers and supermarkets seem to ask for about seven pounds a brace (two))

Grouse, and to a lesser extent, English (or Grey legged partridge as they're also known) are more expensive because they are genuinely (and exclusively, in the case of grouse) wild birds - they haven't been bred and released for sport.

Prior to their release and few weeks of freedom in our woods and fields, French, or red-legged Partridge and Pheasant are intensively farmed, often on the continent, and in conditions rivalling those of battery farmed chickens. There are probably many, humane, well-run game farms too,

That's really interesting, thanks for that.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Perhaps there is a subconscious equation between plenty and success in our society. So, to return from S*****rys with a 2 kilo bag pf potatoes is preferrable to bringing home a single or a couple of 'taters from the grocer.

Have you noticed how green grocers and butchers in many places are full of old people? They haven't forgotten how to shop properly and economically.
Yeah, I think the reason that the area where I live is blessed with good cheap food shops is that it has a disproportionate number of old people and graduate students. Although linking back to my previous point, old people are the other group of people who are able to go shopping on a weekday afternoon when greengrocers are actually open.

And I think as well as equating plenty with success there's a thing of equating mass producedness with quality - stuff that's been vacuum packed in a factory and sold by a massive chain of identical supermarkets is obviously going to be better than stuff that's sold loose by an independant grocer run by a local family because if it's not vacuum packed and uniformized it could be, y'know, a bit dodgy or something...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Did anyone else hear about Prince Charles's organic, low-carbon-footprint, all-singing-all-dancing carrots that are grown in Cornwall and sold in Sainsbury'ses in the West Country and south Wales as a 'local product' - but have lost their Green certificate because they're taken by truck to Nottingham or Ipswich or somesuch to be weighed and packaged, then sent all the way back to Cornwall?

It sounds like a positively Soviet example of bureacracy and stupid inefficient centralisation. I'm sure there are loads more examples of this, both in Britain and the wider EU.

*consciously doesn't get started on the CAP*

sufi

lala
77p for a pack of gum :confused:
in
logo.gif

padingtn station

...with 3xpacks for £1 ready on the counter

advanced :cool: