sus

Really glad to discover this thread. I've been thinking about vampires a lot.

The first thing I think is important about vampires is that they are sexy and glamorous and rich. They are nobles, or at the very least, aristocrats. They have hoarded wealth over centuries.

sus

The Confederate vampire is key because it captures the glamour of the Old South, while implicitly mapping the exploitation that plantation lifestyle is based on.

sus

They can hypnotize you with their glamour and their high-class ways and then they either drain you of your lifeforce, or they turn you into one of their own, another parasite.

sus

I was livin' in a devil town
Didn't know it was a devil town
Oh lord it really brings me down
About the devil town

And all my friends were vampires
Didn't know they were vampires
Turns out I was a vampire myself
In the devil town

I was livin' in a devil town
Didn't know it was a devil town
Oh lord it really brings me down
About the devil town

sus

I think this is brilliant I think this captures something very important. Energy demon discourse. The kinds of people who suck life force from you. And then realizing that you yourself maybe suck life force from others. And wanting to change.

version

Really glad to discover this thread. I've been thinking about vampires a lot.

The first thing I think is important about vampires is that they are sexy and glamorous and rich.

Not all of them; Herzog's depiction of the vampire was consciously wretched, pitiful.

Time is an abyss... profound as a thousand nights... Centuries come and go... To be unable to grow old is terrible... Death is not the worst... Can you imagine enduring centuries, experiencing each day the same futilities...

nosferatu-the-vampyre.jpg

Reactions: sus

sus

Yes this is true and a good contribution, thank you version, but I also think that Herzog's vampire gets all its juicy by subverting the standard vampire account. Everyone wants immortality so he goes, "What if that's bad."

sus

I should watch Nosferatu for my research

I've mostly stuck to 21st C depictions like True Blood and Twilight and Only Lovers Left Alive

Often these have mind-reading vampires, who fall in love with the only human they've ever met whose mind they can't read. And they're flummoxed and intrigued. (And also, she happens to be a super hot young girl who they're bloodlusting after.) And then they can't decide whether they want to kiss or kill her more.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I should watch Nosferatu for my research

I've mostly stuck to 21st C depictions like True Blood and Twilight and Only Lovers Left Alive

Often these have mind-reading vampires, who fall in love with the only human they've ever met whose mind they can't read. And they're flummoxed and intrigued. (And also, she happens to be a super hot young girl who they're bloodlusting after.) And then they can't decide whether they want to kiss or kill her more.
Have you seen Byzantium? I'd recommend that for your research, and The Addiction:

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 6.48.39 PM.png

uZ9lhRwyDbMdLfcoGfij4ZcmP5K.jpg

version

Yes this is true and a good contribution, thank you version, but I also think that Herzog's vampire gets all its juicy by subverting the standard vampire account. Everyone wants immortality so he goes, "What if that's bad."

Yeah, Herzog's dealing with vampirism as an extreme loss of free will.

version

There's one called Dracula Untold where Vlad the Impaler goes on a quest into the mountains to turn himself into a vampiric monster to protect his people.

version

They can hypnotize you with their glamour and their high-class ways and then they either drain you of your lifeforce, or they turn you into one of their own, another parasite.

Did you see this being announced a while back?

Written by Andrew Kevin Walker, best known as the screenwriter behind 1990s classic Se7en, and based on a story by Cosmatos and Walker, Flesh is set in Los Angeles during the glittering 1980s.

Per the producers, the story follows a married couple, Raoul (Isaac) and Alex (Stewart), who descend each evening from their luxury skyscraper condo and head into an electric nighttime realm of ’80s LA. When they cross paths with the mysterious and enigmatic woman and her hard-partying cabal, Raoul and Alex are seduced into a glamorous, surrealistic world of hedonism, thrills and violence.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Not a fam of WWDITS but my eldest didn’t fuckin give over about it initially and the song stuck because, fortunately enough, offspring will frequently remind you of your mortality

The Oldman, Ryder, Frost production was one the more fully realised in the last 30+ years. I was round an auntie’s (surely before Covid) and the bbc thing with Claus/Klaus Banger, certain beeb writers, was on but bit mid 6/10 and it dragged despite being a monster tincture dose

I like the Herzog production but not as a whole, it has a few outstanding scenes, a wicked score by Popol Vuh and even a possibly vocal-less rendition of the Prelude to Das Rheingold, which is is why posting its ‘dance macabre’ segue crops up. Let the Right One in is a mid too, 6/10

Having an ex-SAS vampire with C Lee takes beating, mind, and the original score composition still rocks