"R'n'B" recommendations PLEASE!?

andysays

not andy
and another thing - does anyone else reckon The-Dream as THE best thing in R&B at the moment? sick productions, song-writing and singer - he's one of the best all-rounders I've heard in a long while

yes! dude wrote umbrella for gods sake.. loved his first album, i've had a quick listen to love vs money but imo it doesnt come close to his debut, has he written/produced any current stuff for other artists recently?

andysays

not andy
the elektrik red stuff

i see.. wasn't aware of them. you can definitely hear the-dream's style in a few tracks but i dunno, i guess i'm getting kinda bored of this 808-heavy, anthemic-sounding synth kinda stuff (like on 'drink in my cup') going round.. it just sounds so uptight and serious, so un-funky, it's not what r&b should sound like imo.

so who is the big producer right now? seems like neptunes are way out of the spotlight and timbaland lost any credibility after he released shock value

CrowleyHead

@Baboon; She's had one worthwhile song so far, and that was "Turnin' Me On". I credit that to the strength of Polow Da Don's production. After that, "Superhuman", "Energy", THE FUCKING ENDLESS NIGHTMARE THAT IS "Knock You Down"? Maybe it's not like it for you, but everywhere I go, I'm hearing hyperactive hi-hats, watching her make ridiculous faces, and "Can you make it past your Capsers!?"

Especially bad is her written half of Ne-Yo's verse.

"I used to be commander-and-chief of my pimp ship, flying high."

... Come on, A) why are you writing for Ne-Yo? Man is FINE to make a verse on his own. B) Why are you giving him such goddawful lyrics C) Who TOLD YOU that line was hot?

It's hard to get a good view of what's hot in R&B in the states, because whenever Beyonce gets a video out, it becomes the only R&B video you get to see for a month or two.

hopper

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I find something very annoying about Amerie - I really hated the vocal on just one thing. I much prefer Keri Hilson really, she's got a good voice and never goes over the top. Knock you down is probably my favourite pop tune of the year, it's got a decent video as well.

Has anyone read the essential danja article on fact?

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3162&Itemid=105

Introduced me to some good tunes, that Britney song at the end is incredible.

tox

Factory Girl
:)

article mentions this:

really weird idea using boards of canada for an rnb tune, tune's not actually that bad

Saw Solange in London a couple of months back and she actually gave a shout out to Boards of Canada! Bizarre.

CrowleyHead

Saw Solange in London a couple of months back and she actually gave a shout out to Boards of Canada! Bizarre.

Solange's really, REALLY calculated. I liked her album, but at the same time, the whole "Boards Of Canada" chasing thing smacked of trying 'to be down' with the music intelligentsia. Not unlike Andre 3000 being "Yo dawg, I totally want to work w/ Squarepusher".

I'm not saying that it's not possible for these artists to be interested in that sort of stuff. But at the same time, it doesn't help that people who would've originally written off their sort of music suddenly flock to it because of a name drop.

craner

Beast of Burden
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

tox

Factory Girl
I'm sure Drake has been mentioned in this thread already somewhere, but I can't get enough of Successful after hearing it almost every morning on the Rinse breakfast show. Not strictly R&B I suppose, but vocals from Trey Songz.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Great 80s R&B/Freestyle-ish production from Ryan Leslie, classy vocals from 'Charlie Murphy' ;)

mms

sometimes
Solange's really, REALLY calculated. I liked her album, but at the same time, the whole "Boards Of Canada" chasing thing smacked of trying 'to be down' with the music intelligentsia. Not unlike Andre 3000 being "Yo dawg, I totally want to work w/ Squarepusher".

I'm not saying that it's not possible for these artists to be interested in that sort of stuff. But at the same time, it doesn't help that people who would've originally written off their sort of music suddenly flock to it because of a name drop.

this seems a very patronising argument to me.