Florence

Lichen

I have a long weeekend in Florence coming up.

I wonder if anybody here has any suggestions aside from Duomo/Uffizi/Ponte Veccio...

Thanks

Lichen

elgato

I just dont know
Something that i would say is try to spend a bit of time south of the river... the north is where all the obvious stuff is, but the atmosphere in the south is beautiful... so relaxed and welcoming, much less busy with tourists (from what i saw). All these lovely thin cobbled streets and delicatessens and markets etc. I would say its worth spending at least a day down there, there are a few beautiful (if slightly more understated) Brunelleschi churches to see too. We went there on our last day and i wished i had spent more time there.

Also the Giardino di Boboli (again, south) is very very much worth a visit, I had such a beautiful afternoon in there. The Pitti Palace (to which the gardens belong) is very interesting, and has a few wonderful parts to it, but it might overstretch you if you're short on time, and you can pay for entrance to the gardens seperately as I remember.

But my best memory of Florence, without the slightest shadow of doubt is our visit to the Basilica di San Miniato al Monte, a church at the top of the hills to the south of the city, you can take a slowish, beautiful (but maybe slightly tiring) walk up from around the Pitti Palace which takes about 45 minutes I think. The view from the top is absolutely stunning. We went up just before sunset and saw the entire city basked in dusty golden haze, long shadows cast across the red rooftops. The church itself is beautiful, and we were fortunate enough to be there as monks were in chant, which lilited out as we sat looking over the city. It makes me teary eyed to think of it! You can then also meander down to the Piazzale Michelangelo just down the hill, which was fun and vibrant, people busking, eating, drinking, laughing

Florence is such a wonderful place, I hope you have a great time :)

Last edited:

Lichen

Grazie Mille!

Marvellous....just what I was after. We are staying south of the river (but only just), in fact.

A walk up to San Minato De Monte...a cold beer in Piazzale Michelangelo...and on to dinner.

We're there for three nights: night 2 is rudely interrupted by a family wedding...but that leaves two evenings of relative freedom.

Restaurant recommendations?

elgato

I just dont know
I'm afraid that the places we ate at were mostly picked fairly randomly and on a pretty tight budget, with the result of them not being all that amazing! So I would look elsewhere for recommendations to be honest! Actually though there was a good place (as I recall!) right next to Santo Spirito, you could sit out on the square which made for a very pleasant environment, and I think the food was pretty good. But again, Im not massively confident on that

Another thing I would recommend, if its possible (and you can be bothered on a holiday!), is to get up really early one day, so you get out and about just as its getting light, and take a walk around the touristy areas. Again we did that on the last day and it was amazing, you really see the city in a different light, the central north is usually so overrun and hectic at this time of year, but at that time in the morning it was calm and mostly empty, just a few people zipping to work on bicycles, setting up shop and suchlike, you really get a chance to feel the beauty and elegance of the city. The Piazza della Signoria stands out in my mind in particular. Plus then you deserve a cafe coffee and breakfast which is a bonus!

Lichen

I tend to wake at 6.30 (father of smalls) so will pop out for a stroll. Whether I can persuade my wife to join me is doubtful.

I remember sleeping on the floor of Rome station when I was 16, being woken at dawn by Police and walking around St Peters before the hordes emerged; just a few nuns and priests. Unforgettable.

Lichen

San Miniato Al Monte was indeed gorgeous.

We stopped for wine at Piazzale Michelangelo and then trundled down the steps back into town, through one of the gates on the old city wall. The backstreets were buzzing with Saturday night diners and strollers.

Numbers

I guess I am too late for other recommendations, but if you would need some, just pm me. My gf is from florence and I lived there for some time as well.

Lichen

Back in the UK now, thanks though.

One thing that made me laugh: I spent some time in Florence in my teens.
In those days the winos, spliffers (me!) and other sorts were hanging on the Ponte Veccio......there are now Police parked up there from dusk onwards...

In the 18 :)eek:) intervening years they've managed to move the layabout types as far as .......St Spirito.......all of five minutes away!