baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
its probably overstating th case to claim eitheer barca or real will be shitting themselves at the thought of playing man utd at wembly in the final but its probably the last team they would have wanted there. i had to gete up at 4.45am to watch that but im glad i did.

i think a barca-man u final might be depressingly simialr to 2009 for man u - i can't see that they've got anything new that could cope with barca's style of play better than they did then. in fact, probably less so with the departure of ronaldo, who offered that chance of rogue brilliance.

real - man u might be a better final in many ways, esp with the fergie-mourinho 'sub'-plot

luka

i agree. i said something to you last night i thought but maybe it was to someeone else. also the ronaldo playing against man utd sub plot. the script is vitally important.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i agree. i said something to you last night i thought but maybe it was to someeone else. also the ronaldo playing against man utd sub plot. the script is vitally important.

you did indeed say that football is scripted. in this case it seems definitely so.

i do worry about the final if it's barca- man u though - they were DECIMATED in 2009, embarrassed even.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i do worry about the final if it's barca- man u though - they were DECIMATED in 2009, embarrassed even."
But they knocked pretty much the same side out in 2008 remember - and fairly convincingly as well. Barcelona barely managed a shot on target over two legs and United missed one penalty and had an absolutely blatant one turned down - I guess you'd have to be a brave ref to give two pens against Barce in the Nou Camp even if the second one was stone cold.
Plus, I think United have toughened up this time around and tactics matter, they got them totally wrong in the final with the added disadvantages of Ronaldo playing as though he wanted to win the tie single-handedly and their holding midfielder Fletcher cruelly denied from playing.
Speaking of tactics though I think it's interesting to think about how Barcelona are gonna respond against Madrid. They obviously murdered them first time around this season and Mourinho seems to have spent his time since then scheming how to neutralise them with some success. So, do Barcelona have to do some thinking of their own or do they just play their own game again and hope that Real can't shackle them? Do they even have a plan b if they want to try something different?

crackerjack

Excellent result. Don't give a fuck how successful Jose is, or how personally entertaining he is, his teams play ultra-defensive niggly cheating football.

crackerjack

Plus, I think United have toughened up this time around and tactics matter, they got them totally wrong in the final with the added disadvantages of Ronaldo playing as though he wanted to win the tie single-handedly and their holding midfielder Fletcher cruelly denied from playing.

But United are extremely weak in midfield, with or without Fletcher, who peaked 2 years ago. Great in defence, assuming Rio is fit, and dangerous attackers. But how are they gonna keep or even win the ball with Carrick, Anderson and/or old men Giggs and Scholes in the middle?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
hmm, what an anti-climax for next week's games though..often the second leg of the semis is the high point of the season...

Phaedo

Agree on the comment about Man U's midfield. Xaxi, Inestia and Busquets will boss them about no trouble at all. That and the Messi factor gives me a gut feeling Barcelona may just win this year... ;)

BareBones

wheezy
that game was one of the worst spectacles i can remember watching. it almost made me feel dirty watching it, it was just so pathetic. had messi not scored that second goal it would surely have gone down as the ugliest match in modern european cup history. i have lost all respect for barcelona. i know this is all hyperbolic but everyone is so frothy about how great barcelona are you kind of have to be equally forceful in your criticism. pedro and busquets were/are despicable. this team is meant to be a beacon of "proper" football but in reality they're just a bunch of cynical, charmless cheats, and referees are totally in their pocket. messi was the only one really trying to play the game. awful stuff, just awful.

i never thought i'd say this but god i hope utd beat them in the final. no matter how much you dislike man utd they are now undoubtedly the romantics' choice to win (other than schalke of course).

i mean yeah real were almost as bad but it's more depressing and disappointing with barcelona. tonight was like the football equivalent of finding out santa claus isn't real.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/28/jose-mourinho-real-madrid-barcelona

I hope one day Guardiola has the chance of winning a brilliant, clean championship with no scandal."

Love Mourinho.

Pepe shouldn't have been sent off. Alves milked it for all it was worth. Pepe gave a similar performance earlier, though. Those two deserve each other.

Messi's second goal was fantastic. Such a gifted individual.

Wasn't too impressed with the rest of the team. Seemed pretty subdued. Madrid looked like they might have had them at times. Constant pressure. Forcing mistakes. Shame they lost Pepe. Was pretty much over after that. They eased up and Barca had freedom to do their thing.

Far too much diving going on throughout the game, particualrly in the middle. Was like watching the NFL at times.

Phaedo

I think a thing to remember is however good they are, they are a Spanish team. Its how their league functions, for the most part. Shame cos it does put them down.

Btw, not excusing them. Just saying that it's more Spanish football, than just Barca.

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
i loved the two tribes mentality with the two different ethics mentality last night, but seething at that red card. never a straight red. absolutely disgusting. mourinho might have a point about uefa conspiracies w/ barcelona. i can't say it hasn't crossed my mind after their matches against chelsea and arsenal. whenever they are threatened dodgy decisions come to the rescue.

don_quixote

Trent End
meanwhile on proper football, where players aren't pantomime dames too often, easter monday was a rollercoaster - 2-0 up at half time, leeds 1-0 down, burnley drawing 0-0 and hull losing too. then we conspire to chuck away our 2-0 lead, but find out burnley are losing. player of the season luke chambers heads us back in front from real player of the season lewis mcgugan's third assist of the match, then brizzle score in the last minute but but but the ref has given a free kick, it's handball! and they blow up and we find out that leeds lost, burnley drew, hull drew... millwall won but they were 2 points behind us anyway. great day. bloody sunny too. there is nothing more satisfying in football than travelling to an away match and winning especially in those circumstances.

hucks

Your Message Here
meanwhile on proper football ....

This has been the best season I can remember as a Norwich fan. Saturday was a great example. Scored two good goals, conceded two equalisers, and our erstwhile fall guy striker completed his hat trick with the last kick of the game in the 95th minute. Goals after the 80th minute mark have given us 26 points or something mental.

And! We battered Ipswich away.

So we've got Portsmouth and Coventry left and two wins equals promotion. Got my ticket for Pompey. Obviously I'll be a nervous wreck at the game but this season has been fucking amazing whatever.

don_quixote

Trent End
my advice for pompey away is go to the toilets in the mcdonalds across the road beforehand, because they are AWFUL in the ground! fratton park looks like fort knox. apparently it used to be worse as well, no roof and all that. really really enjoyed that away trip though.

i agree with this season. i know we've thrown it away a bit, but gosh, there's been some fantastic times. beating derby at pride park was something special.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Love Mourinho.

Pepe shouldn't have been sent off. Alves milked it for all it was worth. Pepe gave a similar performance earlier, though. Those two deserve each other.

Messi's second goal was fantastic. Such a gifted individual.

Nah, Mourinho just lost all the respect I had for him with that; he went from being entertaining to just being a plain bad loser and looking pretty sad. If Ferguson did the same, we'd all be eye-rolling by now.

Re Messi - brilliant footwork for sure, but the defending was appalling, after ahving watched it a few times. He's def scored much better - there was a hat-trcik last season that was stupendous, with much greater clsoe control, maybe vs Valencia?

I hope United win it - have a weird soft spot for this season's team. Hope Chicharito scores the winner too.

Last edited: