mixed_biscuits

i watched the goals online today and was aghast by gerrard's goal: did my eyes deceive me, or was that a free-flowing attacking move?!?! surely, SURELY not. please reassure me it was just some kind of anomaly.

I think England generally seemed more able to string together passes in that game - thanks to Capello's extra training sessions, I guess.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/30/1

"Sepp Blatter's controversial proposal to introduce a law forcing clubs to field a minimum of six home nationals in their starting line-ups has moved a step closer to fruition after it received overwhelming backing at Fifa's annual congress in Sydney. The Fifa president's resolution was endorsed by a majority of 155-5, with 40 abstentions."
That's the bundesliga fucked then presumably - not to mention L'Arsenal.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"no way will it ever pass eu law"
I'm inclined to agree, it's not as if it would be a technicality that prevents it, the proposed move would directly contradict the letter and spirit of what the law is supposed to achieve.

crackerjack

I'm inclined to agree, it's not as if it would be a technicality that prevents it, the proposed move would directly contradict the letter and spirit of what the law is supposed to achieve.

Indeed, although the EU has made exceptions for football - a few years ago there was talk that players and managers could leave at any time on 3 months notice. The EU backed down on that one.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Indeed, although the EU has made exceptions for football - a few years ago there was talk that players and managers could leave at any time on 3 months notice. The EU backed down on that one."
Well, we'll see I guess but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Just got Switzerland in the office sweepstake. Damn.

crackerjack

Well, we'll see I guess but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Just got Switzerland in the office sweepstake. Damn.

Could've been worse, could've been their co-hosts.

I'm planning to (re-)open a Blue Square account cos they're giving free £25 bets for any new ac holder who places a £25 win bet. Trouble is, haven't got the faintest who to back. I've got a troubling tendency to follow my heart in these matters, which means
no Germany cos they're Germany
no Italy cos they'd be insufferable as World & Euro champs and they keep voting for corrupt megalomaniacs who are only a heartbeat from fascism
no Spain cos they've got a racist manager and racist fans
no Portgual cos they've got Ronaldo

that leaves Holland (who I dont fancy at all) and France, who just seem a bit listless these days, out of the major nations.

Croatia? Poland?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I really hope that Italy don't win again (who said cheats never prosper?), Germany obviously must lose, I can't stand The Netherlands (used to live there) and anyway I'd basically prefer it if Holland and Spain stayed as the only major footballing powers with fewer honours than England. Portugal have knocked England out far too often recently for me to support them and I don't want France to win because, well I just don't, so I'm going to have to look beyond the obvious. I'd be quite happy for Croatia, Poland, Romania, Czech Republic etc to do the job. Reckon Poland is a good one to go for 'cause at least we would see some Londoners smiling.

hucks

Your Message Here
I've got quite a few Russian friends, so I'm going to support Russia. And they've no chance of winning, so said friends won't be able to gloat. It's win-win! Or lose-win. Whatever.

mixed_biscuits

In qualifying they bested the Netherlands:

Romania 12 9 2 1 26 7 29
Netherlands 12 8 2 2 15 5 26
Bulgaria 12 7 4 1 18 7 25
Belarus 12 4 1 7 17 23 13
Albania 12 2 5 5 12 18 11
Slovenia 12 3 2 7 9 16 11
Luxembourg 12 1 0 11 2 23 3

Last two friendlies:

Romania 3-0 Russia
Romania 4-0 Montenegro

crackerjack

Romania obv:

In qualifying they bested the Netherlands:

Romania 12 9 2 1 26 7 29
Netherlands 12 8 2 2 15 5 26
Bulgaria 12 7 4 1 18 7 25
Belarus 12 4 1 7 17 23 13
Albania 12 2 5 5 12 18 11
Slovenia 12 3 2 7 9 16 11
Luxembourg 12 1 0 11 2 23 3

Last two friendlies:

Romania 3-0 Russia
Romania 4-0 Montenegro

I was thinking about them, but they're in this tournament's Group of Death first - hard slog getting through that and the knock outs.

Actually just noticed their manager played for Steaua Bucharest when they won the European Cup back in the 80s, the most boring final in history if I remember right. That could be exactly the experience needed to win, if Greece in 2004 is anything to go by.

mixed_biscuits

Actually just noticed their manager played for Steaua Bucharest when they won the European Cup back in the 80s, the most boring final in history if I remember right. That could be exactly the experience needed to win, if Greece in 2004 is anything to go by.

I wouldn't worry - they're quite stylish.

crackerjack

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/05/manchestercity.premierleague

See I think this sacking-managers-who've done-ok lark actually makes sense. I predict a good few seasons for City.

Anyway, Sven could've had it much much worse. He could've been sacked because he was successful.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/16/4

"One thing I think is important is that at no time has Steve King been asked to get us promotion," said Powell, proving once and for all that you really can't make assumptions about people's ambitions in football. "He's created the problem, if you like - and I don't mean this in a negative way - because he's been so successful."

IdleRich

IdleRich
"See I think this sacking-managers-who've done-ok lark actually makes sense. I predict a good few seasons for City."
Maybe so - wonder how it will work out for Hughes though, do you think it could affect his chances of eventually moving up to the main Manchester club?
I don't get why Inter sacked Mancini though - he's won the league three times in a row and (I think) Inter haven't won the European thing since the 60s so it's not as if anyone else has done any better than him. OK there were some issues about his disagreements with the higher-ups but presumably Mourinho must win the Champions League at the first time of asking as an absolute minimum or he'll be out on his ear - something he couldn't manage to do with infinite money at Chelsea and that they got closer to doing as soon as he left.

crackerjack

Maybe so - wonder how it will work out for Hughes though, do you think it could affect his chances of eventually moving up to the main Manchester club?

Yep. Utd, i think, would want Hughes to demonstrate a more buccaneering approach to football before appointing him anyway, but this certainly won't help.

I don't get why Inter sacked Mancini though - he's won the league three times in a row and (I think) Inter haven't won the European thing since the 60s so it's not as if anyone else has done any better than him. OK there were some issues about his disagreements with the higher-ups but presumably Mourinho must win the Champions League at the first time of asking as an absolute minimum or he'll be out on his ear - something he couldn't manage to do with infinite money at Chelsea and that they got closer to doing as soon as he left

I've not been paying attention, didn't realise Mancini was sacked, thought he'd just quit. That's ridiculous - he can't be blamed for going out to God's own football club.

crackerjack

What are the chances of this happening?

http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3652448,00.html

I know there have been rumours of this for a while but they are looking more serious now. Be a bit of a coup for City although I'm not sure how good a player he would be for them.

chances? all depends on how deep Thaksin digs and how much others are offering.

benefits? in terms of results, very few I reckon. A player with motivational issues isn't gonna buck his ideas up by dropping down a level - he needs a top team, genuine contenders.