crackerjack

Not zonal this time. Masch lost the ball for the first goal, Drogba (who was immense throughout) skinned Carragher for the second. Terry snuffed out everything at the back, including Torres, and Essien did the same in midfield.
Tight game, but the better team won.

Consoling myself that I took the captaincy of my FF team off Gerrard and gave it to Drogba beforehand.

don_quixote

Trent End
drogba is a beast. one of the best footballers ever to grace the premiership. if you could add any non-english footballer to the england squad, for me, it would be him.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
my old mate played for the same west ham youth teams that joe cole, frank lampard, rio ferdinand, michael carrick, etc all played for...he says every player and coach at upton park around that time was pretty terrified of "harry's people"..

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
drogba is a beast. one of the best footballers ever to grace the premiership. if you could add any non-english footballer to the england squad, for me, it would be him.

would have to be a striker, wouldn't it, really? Though Defoe is looking good - but still, compared to the choices of yesteryear, England look short of striking options to make any impact at the WC. Much as I like both and think they get unnecessary stick, the fact that Heskey and Crouch are in the pciture kinda shows the dearth of talent. Decent players, not world-class.

Anelka's got to be one of the great all-time Premier League survivors. Frighteningly good when he bothers.

don_quixote

Trent End
defoe is good but he's tiny and essentially michael owen jr. (although that's not entirely bad). drogba physically dominates the frontline, creates plenty of chances and can score goals for fun. he's the ultimate modern striker, a player who can hold his own as the lone striker.

crackerjack

defoe is good but he's tiny and essentially michael owen jr. (although that's not entirely bad). drogba physically dominates the frontline, creates plenty of chances and can score goals for fun. he's the ultimate modern striker, a player who can hold his own as the lone striker.

yeah, remember thinking this when he was playing for Marseilles. Rare to find a striker so strong and hard-working, but also mobile. Since then he's added touch to his game and improved his strike ratio. He's fucking terrifying, frankly.

don_quixote

Trent End
talking of drogba and just surfing around on youtube, how fucking awesome was his fa cup final goal in 07? i can't believe more hasn't been made of it, i assume it's just because it was a dreadful game but the goal is fantastic:
and this is my favourite drogba goal: and:

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Richard Dunne an utter gent at Villa Park this evening.

bravo, Dunney, bravo.

what everybody else said re Drogba - mouth-watering..

don_quixote

Trent End
teams already qualified:
south africa
ghana
brazil
australia
japan
north korea
south korea
spain
england
holland
paraguay

teams who could qualify this weekend:
tunisia - if they beat kenya and nigeria fail to beat mozambique
algeria - if their result against rwanda is better than egypt's result against zambia
ivory coast - if they draw or win against malawi, or if they lose and burkina faso fail to beat guinea
denmark - if they beat sweden
switzerland - if they beat luxembourg and greece and latvia draw.
slovakia - if they get at least a draw against slovenia
germany - if they beat russia in moscow
serbia - if against romania they at least match the french result against faroe islands
italy - if they draw against or beat ireland
usa - if they beat honduras, or if they draw or lose and costa rica lose to trinidad and tobago.
mexico - if they beat el salvador and usa beat honduras or trinidad and tobago beat costa rica
honduras - if they beat usa and costa rica lose to trinidad and tobago.
chile - if they beat columbia, or if they draw or lose and argentina or ecuador fail to win against peru and uruguay respectively
ecuador - if they beat uruguay and argentina lose to peru

play-offs already decided:
bahrain vs new zealand - first leg this weekend!

the HUGE matches this weekend
russia vs germany - winner will take the group, with germany holding the advantage if they draw (assuming neither slips up on wednesday)
honduras vs usa - it won't matter if costa rica lose to trindad and tobago, but that shouldn't happen.
cameroon vs togo - another winner (should) take it all match. although not quite. because if they cancel each other out gabon could spoil the party.
bahrain vs new zealand - first leg of the play off match
denmark vs sweden/portugal vs hungary - denmark will go through if they win another match - they play hungary on wednesday, the rest are all playing for play-off places with sweden currently holding a two point advantage over portugal and hungary
greece vs latvia - winner will almost certainly take the play-off place in euro group 2 at least.
czech rep vs poland - both used to qualifying for big tournaments and now they're both struggling. a loss for either side and they can say goodbye to their world cup hopes.
ecuador vs uruguay - the winner will make a big claim for a qualification or play-off berth, with uruguay looking to push their rivals argentina into oblivion

in effect we could know 25 out of the 32 qualifiers by monday morning.

bring on the games!

don_quixote

Trent End
potential seeding:

pot A:
south africa
brazil
england
spain

pot B:
ghana
paraguay

pot C:
holland

pot D:
north korea
south korea
japan
australia

pot b usually made up of other south america and african qualifiers, pot c other european qualifiers, pot d other qualifiers.

i'm unsure about holland being in pot a. it depends if germany, italy, france, portugal and argentina qualify. only get 3 of them and they'll certainly be in there, but at the moment their failure to qualify in 2002 and only reaching the second round in 2006 is still hurting them.

hucks

Your Message Here
Fuck England Ukraine today, I'm hunting down a pub showing Russia Germany. That could be a belter. ESPN are showing it

Also, Portugal (boo! Hiss! behind you! etc!) are at home to Hungary. Both are on the same points, but you can find Hungary at 14-1 to win that game. Any ideas why?

mixed_biscuits

I have a recommendation to all the football fanatics out there: buy a motorised satellite dish and you have big heap free international matches at your disposal. Even with our unmotorised two-satellite set-up we get today: Russia-Germany (on ZDF), Bahrain-NZ (Abu Dhabi sports) and then Portugal-Hungary (RTP International). You're looking at a 400 quid one-off fee for a motorised set-up, 10p for the cup of tea so that's 400 quid and ten p all told, guv.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Also, Portugal (boo! Hiss! behind you! etc!) are at home to Hungary. Both are on the same points, but you can find Hungary at 14-1 to win that game. Any ideas why?

Can Dissensus offer up a collective prayer for Hungary to be victorious? Evoke the spirits of Puskas and Kocsis et al?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I have a recommendation to all the football fanatics out there: buy a motorised satellite dish and you have big heap free international matches at your disposal. Even with our unmotorised two-satellite set-up we get today: Russia-Germany (on ZDF), Bahrain-NZ (Abu Dhabi sports) and then Portugal-Hungary (RTP International). You're looking at a 400 quid one-off fee for a motorised set-up, 10p for the cup of tea so that's 400 quid and ten p all told, guv.

Is there any dodgy website where you can get these games for free, just for today? feel justified in asking this, due to the way that money is gradually forcing people to pay for any top-grade footballl whatsoever. Soon the Champs League will be on Sky too, I'm sure. Ridiculous.