paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Interesting how the two players Chelsea angrily denied they were interested in selling are yet to play this season. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-line-up-juan-mata-2218348

The attacking midfielder options at Chelsea now are ridiculous. Someone has to give (and go).

I have no idea what it is with Chelsea and attacking midfielders. Not sure if Jose is planning on using a false number nine system (like he did at Old Trafford) more often. I remember Hazard played that role at Juve in the CL last season and didn't do very well

At first I thought we'd gone for Willian just to piss Spurs off but apparently there's been interest in him for a while. Can't understand the rumours about Mata, what with him being our best player and everything

Phaedo

its absolutely mind boggling that Arsenal have barely signed anyone decent. obviously Spurs/Levy have played the Transfer window very well but Liverpool have also made some very astute signings. Arsenal are falling way behind.

really look like they could miss out on CL this year, and with theyre draw would be surprised if they got out of the group stage.. Wenger's contract runs out next year i think, wonder if he's refusing to budge on his transfer policy for one last season knowing that he wont be sticking around if it fails.

they'll probably thrash Spurs later now and make me look like a fool

Phaedo

i did set myself up there didnt I? still think the point stands though.

Spurs' new players arent really playing as a team yet.

nomos

Administrator
victormosestransferbuzz_576x324.jpg

heh

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Can Liverpool continue to eke out 1-0 wins? In a way I hope so - it would be nice to have a proper title race this season with a few different challengers, at least up until January or February. On that note, though I'm not a fan, I'm praying for Arsenal's Ozil deal to go through - what a player. Hopefully he'd express a definite preference for the Prem over Ligue 1.

Wait - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...t-Ozil-Angel-di-Maria-and-Abel-Hernandez.html
Even more interesting.

It's not news, but the summer dealings show again why Real Madrid are a club it's hard to like or have any respect for. It's not hard to understand why they haven't been to a Champions League final since 2002, the way they seem to habitually destroy any semblance of continuity in the team.

To anyone who knows more about tactics than I do (ie. everyone) - can Bale and Ronaldo play in the same team against decent opposition without unbalancing it (obviously in La Liga Real can mostly put out a team for show)?

Last edited:

crackerjack

Can Liverpool continue to eke out 1-0 wins? In a way I hope so - it would be nice to have a proper title race this season with a few different challengers, at least up until January or February. On that note, though I'm not a fan, I'm praying for Arsenal's Ozil deal to go through - what a player. Hopefully he'd express a definite preference for the Prem over Ligue 1.

Wait - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...t-Ozil-Angel-di-Maria-and-Abel-Hernandez.html
Even more interesting.

It's not news, but the summer dealings show again why Real Madrid are a club it's hard to like or have any respect for. It's not hard to understand why they haven't been to a Champions League final since 2002, the way they seem to habitually destroy any semblance of continuity in the team.

To anyone who knows more about tactics than I do (ie. everyone) - can Bale and Ronaldo play in the same team against decent opposition without unbalancing it (obviously in La Liga Real can mostly put out a team for show)?

Both can play either wide or through the middle, so I don't see why not. Though they do seem eerily similar in style. You'd have thought Lewandowski would've been a more balanced addition (at least from my ltd knowledge of Euro footy).

nomos

Administrator
So happy to have Ozil and not the bitey racist or the one on trial for buying an underage prostitute. Too bad Jose wouldn't let Ba join though. For five minutes near the end I convinced myself Michu would be arriving by helicopter.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thank god that didn't happen. As a Swans admirer, Michu leaving would've soured the beauty of the Ozil deal quite considerably. A coup for the Premiership as well as Arsenal. Well done Arsene or whoever persuaded him at gunpoint to part with the cash at last.

What's the deal with Demba Ba? Is he going to get games under Mourinho? One minute he was being feted by everyone, the next he's a bit part player. Football mystifies me sometimes - he's clearly a brilliant player

crackerjack

What's the deal with Demba Ba? Is he going to get games under Mourinho? One minute he was being feted by everyone, the next he's a bit part player. Football mystifies me sometimes - he's clearly a brilliant player

I don't think he's a title-winning striker. But then I don't think anyone on Chelsea's books is, unless Eto'o's still up to it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Correct on Tuesday's evidence. Or Wednesday's, actually.

Swansea's result was startling, but also raises questions about how far 'the rest' in La Liga have fallen, and about what the result means when the Swans have more Spanish players than Valencia on the pitch. The second and third goals were stunning tho.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Neither Mate nor Luiz so much as on the bench today and helsea booed off at half-time. Mourinho is either an eccentric genius or he's just a stubborn knob.

crackerjack

An eccentric knob perhaps?

Been suggested he's punishing Mata for being Spanish and for being pally with some of the people Jose fell out with at Real. I honestly don't remember him being this much of a prick before. With refs and ambulance drivers, yes, but not with his own players.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Jose doesn't look like a title winner at the moment, rather a petulant fool who's shooting himself in the foot over some grievance he should have dealt with. He's lucky that it looks like being the most open title race in years, giving Chelsea a good chance of sneaking it even if they aren't great

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
As brilliant as they've been, I fear that until they're carving out 1-0 wins in matches they haven't deserved to win, they won't be championship contenders. I'll be interested to see how they fare against the top teams. It would be fantastic for the Prem is a team playing football like that (see above) could win it.

crackerjack

Hard to gauge the PL at the moment. Not just cos of all the new managers, but the imbalance in top fixtures. Utd have played Liverpool, City & Chelsea, whereas Arsenal, Liverpool and City have all played just one of their potential rivals and Chelsea and Spurs two.

There's a stat that, if you take head-to-head fixtures, Arsenal are actually doing worse this year than last.

Not that I expect Utd to win the league or anything. But weirder things have happened.

Good win for City yesterday. A few more solid away jobs like that and they'll be form favourites in my eyes.