Burial "Untrue"

straight

wings cru
theres a funny paralell between the field and burial, the two most listened to techno/dubstep albums and undoubtedly will be all over the top 5 of the years but probably receive the least DJ support because of their unconventional/unschooled production skills. i hear a lot of techno and dubstep in clubs and ive maybe heard a burial tune once from kode9 about 6 months ago(a bit of an outsider as well i supose) which in hindsight was probably ghost hardware and no matter how much i hammer on about the field to mates they are too busy playing disposable juno fodder

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I want someone to cut footage from 'Trapped In The Closet' to the songs on Untrue. I think the pathos would be spectacular. Actually I'm going to try it now.

Edit: LOL

Last edited:

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
no matter how much i hammer on about the field to mates they are too busy playing disposable juno fodder

That's because it's impossible to mix due to the completely different sound architecture of it and how it occupies all the frequencies. Though the most memorable dj moment of the year for me was this one guy playing three Field records at the same time through an effects box.

tate

Brown Sugar
Nice interview at cyclic defrost - again he mentions his brothers, which he's been doing since the first interview he gave for the debut record. I remember thinking then, 'if steve spacek and d-bridge had a younger brother... ' though the talk about 'testing' songs at night and taking 'keys' from notes like air-duct sounds sure calls to mind another producer-blogger who hangs around here :)

UFO over easy

online mahjong
"Unnerving how eloquent, how insightful, Mr Burial is.

I do sometimes get that queer feeling that Man Like Burial is almost too good to be exactly true.... as if he’s somehow been hallucinated into being by the sheer yearning power of discourse… lack given form..."

Simon Reynolds on the money. Reading the Cyclic Defrost interview gave me shivers..

Ach!

Turd on the Run
That part in the Cyclic Defrost interview where he's talking about the emotional effects of old hardcore/jungle tracks really struck a chord, especially about it seeming to feel like something much more than nostalgia. Actually, I think all of it struck a chord - tapes of lost tunes from pirates, otherworldly jouneys home from clubs, all a bit scary really...

Yeah, if I'd never heard of Burial I'd be sold on the interviews alone. There's no doubt about that, I'd buy the albums unheard. Very rare to get an interview with an artist that connects with you like that, very press savvy man is Burial.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Actually, I think all of it struck a chord - tapes of lost tunes from pirates, otherworldly jouneys home from clubs, all a bit scary really...
Yeah, but scary?

Is there anyone in Britain under the age of 50 who CAN'T identify with that?

adruu

This Is It
There is a video interview with Diplo on Prancehall where he talks about recording in Jamaica with Switch. The clip of recording session with Turbulence sounds like it came right out of Burial's studio...

Closer to the end if you want to ffwd (suggested)

hint

party record with a siren
There's ample scope for 4/4 mixes of some of Burial's tunes, but this seems to be clunky, stompy and unsympathetic, it kills the drama and beauty of the original.

Come on... It's a Baltimore Club edit... "unsympathetic" indeed!

straight

wings cru
so we've spent more time chatting about it now than he spent making it. seriously though, nice to read a detailed interview that hasnt been cut down to a few soundbites. He says a lot of things that reminded me of why i used to make music, veiling beauty that i should really get back to.

Last edited:
Interesting;
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/sep/09/burial.mercury.prize.favourite

The Guardian said:
"On the eve of tonight's Nationwide Mercury Prize awards ceremony, bookies William Hill slashed the odds on Burial taking home the crown – citing a major bet, "one of the biggest gambles in the history of the [award]".

The south London dubstep artist was largely unknown until earlier this year, when a Mercury nomination sent Burial's music – and his veiled identity – to the front pages of the tabloids. He eventually revealed himself as an ordinary bloke called Will Bevan, "a low-key person [who wants] to make some tunes and nothing else".

When the shortlist was announced on July 22, the odds for Burial's Untrue to take the Mercury were just 6/1, according to William Hill. But a "flood of wagers" and at least one "monster gamble" has impelled the bookies to cut the odds to 4/7."