Burial "Untrue"

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i've listened to the lp a few times. the most memorable thing is that the record labels are all mashed up.

oh and half way through one song a new sound makes a brief appearance.

i do like the vocals though

bassnation

the abyss
i was listening to arcangel last night and was thinking, apart from the beats the vox and synth would make a wicked trance tune. i could imagine dj tiesto doing a mix where that vocodered sample takes e'd ravers to the brink followed by a huge fuck-off drum roll and..... BOOM!

yep, still not feeling it. and i'd just like to add that if burials pinching ideas coined by cher in life after love, somethings not right.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
i was listening to arcangel last night and was thinking, apart from the beats the vox and synth would make a wicked trance tune. i could imagine dj tiesto doing a mix where that vocodered sample takes e'd ravers to the brink followed by a huge fuck-off drum roll and..... BOOM!

yep, still not feeling it. and i'd just like to add that if burials pinching ideas coined by cher in life after love, somethings not right.

Yeah there are bits of Burial which in their faded after-glow of E-uphoria definitely resemble trance, allbeit scuffed up and covered in a layer of dust and cobwebs.

gumdrops

still not heard it (bloody hmv mail order) but i did finally hear the kode 9 mix he did for MAH' show. it seemed not as radically diff from the last album as i thought (not a bad thing obv) but i did wish MAH should just STFU with her all gushing praise. almost makes you want to dislike burial.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
still not heard it (bloody hmv mail order) but i did finally hear the kode 9 mix he did for MAH' show. it seemed not as radically diff from the last album as i thought (not a bad thing obv) but i did wish MAH should just STFU with her all gushing praise. almost makes you want to dislike burial.

YES-- she has a good show but her endless gushing bullshit is totally a turn off, and so strangely unsuited for the genres she pushes... makes you realise the value of Peel in a sense (ie- sardonic detachment). MAH for all the comparative radicalism of her taste in music is just as much of a false-enthusiasm merchant as the rest of radio 1 (at least, I hope its false. Otherwise she must have severe brain damage or something...)

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
After the agony of hearing her cringeworthy intro the first time I played this mix, downloading of an mp3 splitting programme and a quick bit of surgery was speedily done.

I think 'Untrue' itself is amazing, probably my album of the year.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
At one point I did wonder if it was a collaboration between Jimmy Cauty and Kevin Shields...
This music actually sounds more like 'Loomer' than anything else MBV did. So that would be Colm then.

Currently really loving Untrue and Homeless - that effect you get when you play sampled chords chromatically is the most rave thing going.

gumdrops

so strangely unsuited for the genres she pushes

shes the female gilles peterson. and yes, her presentation style is often bizarrely unsuited to the music. even if she said 'this one is for all the badmen... all the gangsters on road.... gun fingers in the air' shed make it sound like a self help/meditational tape.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Hahaha- just imagining her saying that in her weird-ass breathily medicated tones cracks me up... hahaha

mms

sometimes
it's a funny relationship with dubstep and grime she has cos up until 2005 she hadn't been playing anything apart from metal, bad company style d and b and a some breaks stuff, big beaty stuff, and it's a bit weird for her to chat about elb and how he was foundation etc when she was never supportive of that music, it all happened for her after the second rephlex grime comp. That's ok though she's clearly into it. i have nothing against her or gilles peterson they both play some good music and push some good music, they're not jo wiley who is just terrible.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
shes the female gilles peterson. and yes, her presentation style is often bizarrely unsuited to the music. even if she said 'this one is for all the badmen... all the gangsters on road.... gun fingers in the air' shed make it sound like a self help/meditational tape.

A round of the Mary-Anne Hobbes drinking game anyone?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
it's a funny relationship with dubstep and grime she has cos up until 2005 she hadn't been playing anything apart from metal, bad company style d and b and a some breaks stuff, big beaty stuff, and it's a bit weird for her to chat about elb and how he was foundation etc when she was never supportive of that music, it all happened for her after the second rephlex grime comp. That's ok though she's clearly into it. i have nothing against her or gilles peterson they both play some good music and push some good music, they're not jo wiley who is just terrible.

her tendancy to hide that she is coming across stuff for the first time and couch it away that infers long time knowledge/connections really pisses me off. i remember the iration/dmz thing she did which suggested hanging out w/ mark iration in chapeltown was a normal activity for her being particularly cringe inducing.

i'm enjoying the burial lp more now though- although the cd option would make more sense- 2 songs in a row and then turn over disrupts the flow*

*additional a bit drunk, all on my own on a friday night post (g/f in london-the city enjoying herself without me ;) ), having d/l the cd version- it makes far more sense (as expected). it's a fine, fine headphone lp for the lonely.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
her tendancy to hide that she is coming across stuff for the first time and couch it away that infers long time knowledge/connections really pisses me off. i remember the iration/dmz thing she did which suggested hanging out w/ mark iration in chapeltown was a normal activity for her being particularly cringe inducing.

yes its really ok to not get on something immediately, you can't do it on everything. it would be more refreshing if she was honest about it. it was strange, that lp came out same time peel died and i guess dubstep/grime set something important off in her, a mission of some kind, which is a good thing, although every dj that follows him and believes in music cos music is amazing on radio 1 is somewhat pigeonholed, it's not clear yet. there isn't that person who just loves it cos it's fresh it's got energy and attitude and doesnt want to be boring.

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is

I remember her being one of the people doing the end of year discussion roundtable thing in Jockey Slut a few years back. She was raving about the Les Rhythmes Digitales album, which everyone else was saying was shit, and couldn't see why they all liked Felix Da Housecats 'Electrikboy'. Like anyone else connected to big beat, she's been looking for something else to hitch her flag to now it's died the death. Her producers seem to scout around for what's got a bit of a buzz at the moment, but I don't get any sense that she knows why she's having sessions by people like Omar S or Convextion, except that she's been told that they're hip right now.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Anyway: enough bitching about MAH...

"Etched Headplate" reminds me of some of the tracks of Slowdive's "Pygmalion" in terms of its lowering vocal patchwork...

Actually on fourth or fifth listen the later tracks begin to cohere a bit more. It is true that sonically Burial has stood still (in terms of the building blocks of his rhythms and his synths/basslines) but in a sense this is irrelevant- it really is all about the vocals, they are privileged on almost every track over the rest of the arrangements. Indeed there is considerably less rhythmical "switching up" than on his debut.

Last edited:

shudder

shit, I can't wait to pick this up! It was supposed to be in stores here (toronto) on Tuesday, but was apparently delayed at the border (or so two record store clerks tell me). Should be in by tomorrow.

oh, and to whoever asked about online sales, it's also on iTunes (in canada at least. I'm assuming US and UK too?) in their iTunes+ format, which means higher bitrate at the standard price.

Octopus?

shit, I can't wait to pick this up! It was supposed to be in stores here (toronto) on Tuesday, but was apparently delayed at the border (or so two record store clerks tell me). Should be in by tomorrow.

Impressive, Winnipeg received copies early this week! Sorry to gloat, but we rarely get the opportunity :D

Only had the one run-through so far, so can't really comment in depth, but really, really enjoying it so far. Need to find some time to properly sit down and listen. While listening to this at work with my office door closed I had half the office hunting around trying to find out whose cell phone was going off so loudly.