Burial "Untrue"

haven't actually heard the album yet (struck off the hyperdub mailing list I guess :-( but that's okay cos now i can buy a nice vinyl edition instead of a poxy cd-r!).

and then...a couple of days after i ordered the vinyl, a finished cd copy arrives on my doorstep c/o hyperdub!

great, now i have a moral obligation to review it. i'll have a listen 2nite. nice digipac innit...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
To be honest I suspect "Archangel" is the best song I've heard this year. I wasn't too impressed when I first heard it, but its just a brilliant piece of pop music, almost perfect... especially the "If I trust you..." middle 8 and the glistening reverbed ravey falsetto vocal diva wail that comes in a few times near the end... its structured in a very conventionally pop-like manner too (verse chorus, middle 8) Unlike anything on the first Burial album I'm obsessively replaying it, and its difficult to pinpoint exactly why... its just genuinely emotionally resonant in a way that exceeds the glumness of a lot of the other Burial stuff, its not mournful its really alive with feeling-- and the way the vocals are mixed at times high and clear in the mix without drowning them in reverb really makes it stand out compared to the rest of the album.

The "got to be alone"/"tell me I belong" lyrics lying just at the edge of ambiguity sonically (ie he's chopped the same sung word to get both "alone" and "belong") is a pretty amazing conceit, nailing in sonic-linguistic terms the razor edge the song's emotionalism rests upon- between desire and fear... the coke-neurosis of 2step transmuted into a genuinely "adult" hardcore...

Last edited:

bnek

To be honest I suspect "Archangel" is the best song I've heard this year. I wasn't too impressed when I first heard it, but its just a brilliant piece of pop music, almost perfect... especially the "If I trust you..." middle 8 and the glistening reverbed ravey falsetto vocal diva wail that comes in a few times near the end... its structured in a very conventionally pop-like manner too (verse chorus, middle 8) Unlike anything on the first Burial album I'm obsessively replaying it, and its difficult to pinpoint exactly why... its just genuinely emotionally resonant in a way that exceeds the glumness of a lot of the other Burial stuff, its not mournful its really alive with feeling-- and the way the vocals are mixed at times high and clear in the mix without drowning them in reverb really makes it stand out compared to the rest of the album.

The "got to be alone"/"tell me I belong" lyrics lying just at the edge of ambiguity sonically (ie he's chopped the same sung word to get both "alone" and "belong") is a pretty amazing conceit, nailing in sonic-linguistic terms the razor edge the song's emotionalism rests upon- between desire and fear... the coke-neurosis of 2step transmuted into a genuinely "adult" hardcore...

well said - spot on, such an addictive track! (though it sounds more like "couldnt be alone" to me). its also the most rhythmically satisfying i think, where the bass drops out just before the end of the bar. the emphasis is really on the vocal parts, which are great, but seems to be at the expense of some of the drum science on the first album (like 'wounder' and 'prayer'). im really beginning to enjoy the album though, (save for the ambient tracks which i could really do without). sounds really nice on the stereo, i suspect it will be good train listening also...

N

nomadologist

It is easily my favorite song this year, for all these reasons. Really captures love as excess--of fear, of desire...

post-human r&b for the pre-heartbroken

hucks

Your Message Here
Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
My problem is that it's so much better than the rest of the album, it ends up dominating. I'm getting more into Raver, Homeless and Untrue, but Archangel comes on like a better-realised version of all of them. So i just go back to Archangel...

Edit: Good review, this:http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/reviews/story/0,,2206743,00.html

Album of the month, no less

It is true that its very much next level in comparison to the rest of the album.

Though the Bloc Party remix is to be fair up there with it (awesome little tinkling sitar counter melodies on this-- and proof that a post-garage silk purse can indeed be constructed from a lame-indie sow's ear) also the Jamie Woon remix was ace too-- in terms of sweeping epic melodicism Burial is fucking masterful- His remixes thus far have all been absolutely superb (more consistent than some of his album tracks).

Last edited:

Alfons

Way of the future
played archangel out last night, twice. Was playing at a gay bar/club, playing house, disco, broken beat stuff. Snuck Unite, Left Leg Out and Archangel in once and then ended by playing Archangel. I was almost too busy enjoying myself to notice whether people were into it but it definitely didn't clear the floor and went down pretty well. Sounded phat on a system too. (One guy asked me if it was justin timberlake doing the vocals :rolleyes: )

I think there's quite a few tracks on the new album which fit just as well on the dance floor as they do at home. They worked pretty well with a crowd that I don't think know the first thing about garage, dubstep, the nuum and all that jazz. Not saying that wether or not a tune "smashes the dance" is all important but like has been mentioned a couple of times Burials music is sometimes taken as not being dance music at all.

The album as a whole keeps growing on me too!