Burial "Untrue"

gek-opel

entered apprentice
But is this not more the case of Burial's music foregrounding the very patchwork nature of ourselves as hauntological subjects-- a contingent morass of ghosts, (from the standpoint of the human being: genetic, memetic, linguistic, conceptual-viral) a teeming host of fragments speaking through us, inhabiting us, all covered over by an illusory sense of free will and ego-identity...?

N

nomadologist

But is this not more the case of Burial's music foregrounding the very patchwork nature of ourselves as hauntological subjects-- a contingent morass of ghosts, (from the standpoint of the human being: genetic, memetic, linguistic, conceptual-viral) a teeming host of fragments speaking through us, inhabiting us, all covered over by an illusory sense of free will and ego-identity...?

Yes! This is better put.

It's so dark and grey and sleepy today. Going to put on Untrue and take a nap.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I wanted to dislike this album, I dunno why - I guess it fits somewhere in that tradition of making 'intelligent' or palatable street music. but I absolutely love it....much better than the first, which to me was over-rated (sounding in parts no better than something off an 'ambient dub' compilation from about 95)

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Could Burial herald the arrival of something genuinely new? A real Deus Ex Machina in all senses? A sudden intervention in the cultural / historical narrative by an actual ghost from out of the machines? The voice of A I?

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

NC%20fun%20web1.jpg

N

nomadologist

the above is what an acid trip on heroin feels like, btw, for those interested in psychopharmacourbangeographical mapping like i am :)

others should ignore the statement and not bother reprimanding me for it, thnx ;) It's also a picture of what Burial's music sounds like

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
(sounding in parts no better than something off an 'ambient dub' compilation from about 95)
THE Ambient Dub compilation had some pretty fine creations on it I think:

21st Century Aura - Disorientation

Mimoid - Strawberry

Higher Intelligence Agency - Ketamine Entity

oh Lord

it's turned into one of THOSE discussions

lol - I'm only kidding guys ;) . go ahead this is great stuff - good to see something get a straight positive reaction round these parts even if I'm not feelin' it

nomos

Administrator
the above is what an acid trip on heroin feels like, btw, for those interested in psychopharmacourbangeographical mapping like i am :)

others should ignore the statement and not bother reprimanding me for it, thnx ;) It's also a picture of what Burial's music sounds like
awesome. reminds me of snorting morphine atoms in zero gravity while receiving a salvia enema.

still haven't heard the album. when it arrives i'm taking it out for a nighttime walk.

N

nomadologist

Great elaborations! This really is the creation of a new kind of voice, a de-individualised, uncanny, machined bearer of vocal, erotic, desiring etc. affects, both less and more than a "person", free-floating but intensified and piercingly affective, like the unconscious made sonorous...

This is an album that fully realizes (on an aesthetic level) the post-human, where I think other dubstep I've heard doesn't.

bassnation

the abyss
THE Ambient Dub compilation had some pretty fine creations on it I think:

21st Century Aura - Disorientation

Mimoid - Strawberry

Higher Intelligence Agency - Ketamine Entity

i have to be honest, i'd be rating all of those above anything on the 2nd burial lp.

dHarry

it's turned into one of THOSE discussions

lol - I'm only kidding guys ;) . go ahead this is great stuff - good to see something get a straight positive reaction round these parts even if I'm not feelin' it
Less of your sarcasm, and tell us who he is! :) Or maybe he's better as a figment of our imagination...

mos dan

fact music
I think song titles like "Ghost Hardware" are keys to the whole conceptual conceit of the album. My dad quotes this Noble laureate all the time, and I can't for the life of me remember his name, in reference to his experiences with psychedelic drugs. He quotes this guy as saying "the human being is a machine that any ghost can operate"...of course, for my father, this has Christian significance, but it works well with Burial, too.

i don't think it made the final edit of my article, but burial said in our interview, only semi-flippantly, "i wish i was a ghost".

also, this was going to be the final para of my article:

‘Between the idea/And the reality/Between the motion/And the act/Falls the shadow’, TS Eliot once wrote. The sonic world that Burial’s music describes is not quite ideal, and it’s not quite real either. It’s the shadow.

guardian music ed: "i had to cut that last para dan. you'd have been in 'pseud's corner' in a shot"

he says that like it's a bad thing ;)

N

nomadologist

That would have been a fine closing!

Used to be an Arts editor for my college paper. That was fun. Would be loathe to read what some 19-year-old would say about the Burial album.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
The Eye wouldn't have put you in Pseud's Corner for that...its an Elliot quote, their public school instincts would have saved you!

Ulysses

Not a half-steppah
on further listenings, Untrue unravels as a bunch of trax.
some of his samples sound recycled from the 1st lp too.
either way, i like his work.