Tim F

http://www.xlr8r.com/features/2009/09/mutant-funk

This article come's at a funny time when modeselektor have just piled in a bunch of funky/dubstep tunes in their latest RA mix

This article js so off-base. It's exactly the kind of bullshit "quick let's invent an intelligent-funky sub-genre" indie-weekly pandering half of you said I was paranoid and curmudgeonly for expecting.

"And as the music crests toward perhaps a final stage, funky has splintered into a mutant, experimental phase via producers like Cooly G and Roska—right as the rest of the world has only just heard about it."

It's like he's actively hoping the generalised scene will die so that his chosen heroes won't be soiled by any taint of populism.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Please don't let it become funkstep. Please.

I found that article quite depressing. Who cares what the fuck it's called (as long as it's not funkstep, obv.)? At least in the battle between eski/8-bar/sublow/grime etc, it felt like naming a scene, not trying to close one down. I'm loving the variety at the moment - surely it can be categorised retrospectively? Dubstep had years of space to finally come around (in my view) to something really interesting....is funky allowed less time because it's (sigh) more about dance music than the possibility of chin-stroking/'intelligence' and hoovering up the dull DnB audience?*

"That seems especially true of an artist like Cooly G, who is probably too musically ambitious to stick with funky anyway." Wtf? Does anyone say this about Mala or Skream or whoever wrt dubstep?

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
This article js so off-base.

As a whole I thought it was pretty accurate and informative as a primer for the non-funky affiaciados. even seemed to understand UKG pretty well: not a given for most US journos.

that said, i did recommend you for the job tim, once i couldnt do it. shame they didnt get in touch!

Tim F

Ha cheers for the vote of confidence martin.

I think you're right that it's reasonably informed as such things go and could have been more blatantly wrong, but don't you find the whole slant of it - assuming that funky is already on the way out and that "funkstep" etc. = "the new thing" - a bit um dubious?

He says right near the beginning "Funky has never been weird, experimental music" and then goes on to single out Cooly G, Roska and Scratcha DVA as exceptions.

Massive props to those artists but this claim is just wrong, they're first among equals among heaps and heaps and heaps and heaps of artists. And I'm not talking about obscure producers only a scene DJ would have heard of. What about O.B., Madd.One, Scotty D, Swift Jay, Fuzzy Logick, D-Malice, Major Note$, Ill Blu, Mos' Wanted, even Crazy Cousinz - "Always Be Mine" is nearly as daring a production as anything Roska has done (and again, that's no disrespect to Roska!).

The only explanation for his slant is that he's wilfully ignoring anything without the official seal of approval of Rinse and Hyperdub (!), or he's simply ignorant of it, in which case he simply doesn't know the genre well enough to make the kind of sweeping judgments he's making.

alex

Do not read this.
I can understand why she is getting the 'ump, but I have read that Kyla thing about women leaving the dance twice now & each time I just sigh. It's obviously about the careful balance between masculine/feminine tunes. Obviously the stuff RE: Vocal Funky (eg. Funky D) & that is fucking shit, it all is, migrane skank, its all rubbish. But the way that is manifested in that Fact Article is that it looks like she is having a pop at the darker/techier, bass heavier bits, (i am NOT going to use funkstep to describe it, period) when in fact she is talking about the shit vocal stuff. Everyone knows how influential these articles can be and I think that to be a bit misleading 2bh.

gumdrops

thing is ive seen guys and girls go a bit nuts to migraine skank.
also seen them go nuts to the 'heavier' stuff too.
so i dunno if you can really draw these battle lines that clearly, other than to say that pretty much everyone knows tracks like AYGBD are shit.

alex

Do not read this.
but at the same time do you not think straight female vocals/funky favourites for 2 hours is long? that's bordering on romfordism

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Ha cheers for the vote of confidence martin.

I think you're right that it's reasonably informed as such things go and could have been more blatantly wrong, but don't you find the whole slant of it - assuming that funky is already on the way out and that "funkstep" etc. = "the new thing" - a bit um dubious?

He says right near the beginning "Funky has never been weird, experimental music" and then goes on to single out Cooly G, Roska and Scratcha DVA as exceptions.

Massive props to those artists but this claim is just wrong, they're first among equals among heaps and heaps and heaps and heaps of artists. And I'm not talking about obscure producers only a scene DJ would have heard of. What about O.B., Madd.One, Scotty D, Swift Jay, Fuzzy Logick, D-Malice, Major Note$, Ill Blu, Mos' Wanted, even Crazy Cousinz - "Always Be Mine" is nearly as daring a production as anything Roska has done (and again, that's no disrespect to Roska!).

The only explanation for his slant is that he's wilfully ignoring anything without the official seal of approval of Rinse and Hyperdub (!), or he's simply ignorant of it, in which case he simply doesn't know the genre well enough to make the kind of sweeping judgments he's making.

well it's journalism isnt it, for better or worse? you find your angle, what the 'story is'. hyperdub and rinse have a lot of hype around them - that's kinda hard to deny!

part of me think you'd never be happy by a piece like this as you know so much about the details of the scene. but then it's not aimed at you :)

Tim F

well it's journalism isnt it, for better or worse? you find your angle, what the 'story is'. hyperdub and rinse have a lot of hype around them - that's kinda hard to deny!

part of me think you'd never be happy by a piece like this as you know so much about the details of the scene. but then it's not aimed at you :)

Not true there have been several pieces-not-by-me that I've thought were just fine! And it's not like my own piece for Idolator last year was terribly in depth.

Though it's fair enough that you'd suspect the above...