alex

Do not read this.
yeah i cant tell if its MoscaGreenaPangaeOrbison track either. the fact that its converged into an indiscernible replicon means the action is probably elsewhere

Mmm, not too sure about this, firstly pangaea hasnt made any funky, and all of those producers mentioned above have clear different styles, fair enough you would'nt know what "x" tune is by, but your not saying "they all sound the same" surely?

Tim F

Ha ha, not as far as I'm aware, but I'm hoping the fact that "House Girls" suddenly seems to be cropping up everywhere again is a sign that it's about to be released.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I was having a wee think about what we've been discussing hear and it occurred to me that there's a simple point that's maybe been overlooked:
Whenever people start listening to music, they inevitably do it against the background of what ever music they're already into, or have been into previously. So if people who are big dubstep fans - and there are a lot of them out there, on this forum and elsewhere - start investigating something like funky, it's only natural that for a lot of them, they first things that they listen to and appreciate will be things that they can relate to dubstep in one way or another. This might be by via tunes that are obviously dubstep influenced, or tunes that are made by people with a known history of making dubstep, or tunes promoted and released via the post-dubstep media infrastructure - radio shows, club nights, record labels, mags, on-line publications etc. (Or more often than not some combination of the three).
And I suppose the main thing that can be frustrating about this is that sometimes people can stop there, stick with what is most comfortable to them, and that by doing this they're missing out on lots of really good music from the more core funky areas (plus sometimes when this fans mentality crosses over into journalism, it may lead to talented producers becoming under-exposed). But the only answer to this I can really see is far for people like Tim to keep flying the flame and encouraging people to investigate things that might be outside their comfort zone. Maybe we just need this sort of voice better represented on blogs, mags etc.

Almost finished working my way through recent funky sets, will list some of my favourite tunes from the core sounds soon ('cause I'm sure you're all dying to know ;) ). There's def some crackers about at the moment.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Dubplate Malice is on Deja, every Friday 8-10pm.

http://vulive.co.uk/

I am never in at this time. Seeing as Deja don't produce podcasts of all shows, could anyone here rip the set?

You'd need this plug-in for WinAmp, which will directly rip the stream as an mp3 from the website as it plays:

http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/

and perhaps this mp3 trimming software, which means you can truncate an mp3 without re-encoding and losing quality:

http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html#dwn

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
Ha ha, not as far as I'm aware, but I'm hoping the fact that "House Girls" suddenly seems to be cropping up everywhere again is a sign that it's about to be released.

Fingers crossed, great tune, enjoyed your write up. Thanks

luka

MoscaGreenaPangaeOrbison

i swear i cant be the only person to think this music is palpably obviously transparently hideous? just listened to mosca's nike. there is no way in the world no one else on this board realises how corny that record is.... even ach! and finney like this stuff....ii just dont beleive it. it offends me. those cod reggae affectations must make some of you squirm with embaressment. the weediness of it must offend some of you. the limpness of it... people have been saying idm but its not idm, its triphop which is the more obviosu comparison. ninja tune, mo wax etc... reggae replacin hip-hop as the prime influence. maybe martin clark has a point and i shoudn't keep going on about things i hate, maybe i should be 'positive' or something, but if dissensus becomes a cheerleader for this sort of thing i cant have anything to do with the board, i have my reputation to consider!

luka

im not even saying you have to listen to 'real' funky instead, i dont care what you listen to, but this stuff is not doing it. its unclean.

luka

he didnt want to say nothing.....
you know who you are! hahahahha its alright though....

i dunno... i feel sort of bad even broaching the subject becuase so many of you are so intimately involved in this stuff, as djs, promoters, producers and journalists...and ive got no interest in picking fights with you as individuals... i dont bear any grudges against martin, or dan jenkins or tom lea, im sure you're all lovely, probably not even that different from me... you love music, you listen to it a lot, you think about it a lot... im not having a go. im not saying im more 'real' than you, or that the music you listen to is not 'real' im just saying i dont like a lot of people who are getting hyped. i dont like joy oribison, i dont like mosca, i dont like greena, i dont like subeena, i dont like untold, i dont like martyn, i dont like cooly g...
look. its a long list, i think in 5 years its going to sound even more horrible than it does now and youll be pushing those records to the back of your collection and pretending like you got them free on promo and never really listened to them anyway.
the reason i want to share all this is not to wind you up, its just to convert the swing voters. i want people to share my hate. i want people on my side. thats all. thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
i dunno... i feel sort of bad even broaching the subject becuase so many of you are so intimately involved in this stuff, as djs, promoters, producers and journalists...and ive got no interest in picking fights with you as individuals...

Big co-sign. Often have thoughts on this sort of thing in the back of my mind when critiquing music on here.

luka

but at the same time, they dont own the board and if you dont feel free to say what you tihnk here there is no point contributing, no matter how tentative you are. so its difficult, but i think essentailly, you just have to say, fuck it, i'll say what i think.
alex...
i would never claim to be an authority on funky but i enjoyed almost all of this set

http://vulive.co.uk/content/2009/12/03/weeksey-and-bandit-13-november-2009

also my taste is impeccable. check the track record.