Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Champions Bad Girl remix - loving this at the moment, perfect mix of sweet & filthy

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Yeah it's an anthem for sure, always one of the highlights in a set.

I like Dragon Pop but imo there's got to be at least a half-dozen better unreleased Ill Blu tunes out there.
Don't want to moan too much though as obv it's great that they're getting a Hyperdub release and just a new physical release generally.
Don't think I know Bellion - although there's a fair chance I'll have heard it without being aware of the name - so yeah let's hope that's a good one.

Tim F

My fave Ill Blu tracks this year are (apart from Youtube masterpiece) their remixes of Craig David, Roll Deep and Sabrina Washington.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
My fave Ill Blu tracks this year are (apart from Youtube masterpiece) their remixes of Craig David, Roll Deep and Sabrina Washington.

I think they should actually just call it Youtube Masterpiece, that would be a great title.
Also after making my above post, it occurred to me that more of their tunes may have already crept out than I thought.

alex

Do not read this.
Dragon pop is easily the best thing I’ve heard from him imo

edit* Although it has been doing the rounds for ages now so it is a bit boring...none of his other tracks stand out as much as that did the 1st time I heard it.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Dragon pop is easily the best thing I’ve heard from him imo

Nah mate - all about Pull It, Frontline, Blu Magic, Bring It Back remix, Time To Get Nasty, that one with the big horn riff from a while back that I always forget the name of... and of course Youtube Masterpiece ;) .
Most of these are released, obv, and clearly we're just trading opinions here. Glad that you like the tune anyway, make sure to pick it up when it comes out.

Also, apparently it's two people - the 'Ill' one and the smoother 'Blu' one.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Actually, the more I think about, the more it seems that they prob don't have that many tunes other than Dragon Pop that were available to sign to Hyperdub.
They were probably one of the better funky acts for actually bringing out tunes last year - albeit mostly in digital-only. It's not quite the same thing as folks like Devine Recordings who have a stockpile of 25+ unreleased tunes gathering dust.
So it makes sense for it to get picked, even though it's been kicking about for ages and is imo one of their comparitively duller tunes (which is not to say it's bad!).

There you go, I partially retracted something I said on the internet - something you don't see every day. ;)

Tim F

Their production for Sedgli Slim's "Say Nuffin" is pretty great too - that looped female vocal sigh throughout is so junglist.

alex

Do not read this.
Andy I agree with the statement for how long it’s been knocking about for, I never understand why labels sign tunes that have been kaned for a year +

I can understand with older, ‘lost’ dubs, as it’s a surprise to the consumer who wasn’t expecting to hear it ever again, let alone own it. But I think a tune would have to be a certified BANGER that people are fiending hard over to ever justify releasing it.

Fair enough it may be a banger to some people, it was to me before the 5th time I’d heard it.

Mind you looking at it from the artist’s perspective and taking into account how long it takes for some tracks to be released nowadays, this DID have to come out, and I think it definitely sounds like hyperdub-ish realease. Also I have got to remember that I am not like every other record buyer and a lot of the time, people haven’t even heard the said tune before they have even bought it/previewed it on chemical/redeye etc..ignore me I’m waffling.

Tim F

I should note that I do rather like "Dragon Pop", but it's by far their subtlest track on subtlety doesn't strike me as what one goes to Ill Blu for. Anyways these are all the tracks I know off:

Princess - Frontline
Lloyd - Girls Around The World (Ill Blu Remix)
Princess - Frontline (Remix)
Coldsteps - I Will Be There
Ill Blu - Time To Get Nasty
Ill Blu ft. Hoodzee - Rider
Kris Baya - Heartbreaker (Ill Blu Remix)
Shystie - Pull It (Ill Blu Remix)
Dot Star - Ransom
Princess - Big Boys
Young Nate - I Wonder (Ill Blu Remix)
Aaliyah - Rock The Boat (Ill Blu Remix)
Ill Blu ft. Shanique - Say Yes
Shontelle - Battle Cry (Ill Blu Remix)
Ill Blu - Blu Magic
321 - Bring It Back (Ill Blu Remix)
H20 ft. Zoe - Pink Love (Ill Blu Remix)
Ill Blu - Dragon Pop
Ill Blu - Touch It
Donae'o - Watching Her Move (Ill Blu Remix)
Suncyle ft. Mavado - No More (Ill Blu Remix)
Platnum - Trippin (Ill Blu Remix)
Princess Nyah - Hooligans
Steve Hoang - No Coming Back (Ill Blu Remix)
Ill Blu - Money & Girls
Shanique - Take It Low
Cheryl Cole - Parachute (Ill Blu Remix)
Hot Chip - I Feel Better (Ill Blu Remix)
Sabrina Washington - Ill Blu (Remix)
Craig David - One More Lie (Ill Blu Remix)
Roll Deep - Good Times (Ill Blu Remix)
Sedgli Slim - Say Nuffin'
Ill Blu - Overdose (Blu Magic Part 2)

Plus a few more I don't know the name of, like that one with the rippling caribbean drum melody, and youtube masterpiece of course.

gumdrops

their aaliyah remixes are also immense! i dont know why they have released so little on vinyl, considering guys like scratcha and roska seem to be doing ok in that area.

vimothy

yurp
I should note that I do rather like "Dragon Pop", but it's by far their subtlest track on subtlety doesn't strike me as what one goes to Ill Blu for. Anyways these are all the tracks I know off:

Princess - Frontline
Lloyd - Girls Around The World (Ill Blu Remix)
Princess - Frontline (Remix)
Coldsteps - I Will Be There
Ill Blu - Time To Get Nasty
Ill Blu ft. Hoodzee - Rider
Kris Baya - Heartbreaker (Ill Blu Remix)
Shystie - Pull It (Ill Blu Remix)
Dot Star - Ransom
Princess - Big Boys
Young Nate - I Wonder (Ill Blu Remix)
Aaliyah - Rock The Boat (Ill Blu Remix)
Ill Blu ft. Shanique - Say Yes
Shontelle - Battle Cry (Ill Blu Remix)
Ill Blu - Blu Magic
321 - Bring It Back (Ill Blu Remix)
H20 ft. Zoe - Pink Love (Ill Blu Remix)
Ill Blu - Dragon Pop
Ill Blu - Touch It
Donae'o - Watching Her Move (Ill Blu Remix)
Suncyle ft. Mavado - No More (Ill Blu Remix)
Platnum - Trippin (Ill Blu Remix)
Princess Nyah - Hooligans
Steve Hoang - No Coming Back (Ill Blu Remix)
Ill Blu - Money & Girls
Shanique - Take It Low
Cheryl Cole - Parachute (Ill Blu Remix)
Hot Chip - I Feel Better (Ill Blu Remix)
Sabrina Washington - Ill Blu (Remix)
Craig David - One More Lie (Ill Blu Remix)
Roll Deep - Good Times (Ill Blu Remix)
Sedgli Slim - Say Nuffin'
Ill Blu - Overdose (Blu Magic Part 2)

Plus a few more I don't know the name of, like that one with the rippling caribbean drum melody, and youtube masterpiece of course.

Awesome--fucking nice one Tim!

Benny Bunter

Ill blu are absolutely immense and Tim Fs write up about them on skykicking is one of the best bits of music-writing I've read in quite some time. It really got me excited to hear them. I must have watched that 'In the studio' clip about 50 times!

Funny thing is I've heard about 90% of the tunes on that list there, but I'm not sure if I've even heard Dragon Pop yet! Can anyone point me towards a soundclip?

Tim F

If you've heard the remix of "No More" just remove the piano chords, xylophones and other melodic frills (and of course Mavado's moaning) and that's "Dragon Pop".

It's also on Scratcha DVA's FACT Mix (which makes sense: it sounds rather of a piece with "Natty" in a lot of ways).